PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever replaced the roof on a steel trailer?

Blue Yonder
Aug. 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
I took my '96 Shelby gooseneck trailer in for a structural assessment before it headed off to get a new paint job. It is in good shape overall, excellent floor, very little rust, except......(duh duh DUH!!)...for the roof. Which has some rising, rusted seams where the sheet metal was welded to the roof bows. No further body damage -- it appears the roof caulk failed, water crept in right there, and sort of festered (in my non-technical terms, anyway). Which is highly ironic, I must say, seeing as we're in the worst drought in Texas history, but I digress...

As it happens, I really, really like my trailer. It's sturdy overall, tough, 2-horse straight load, airy, comfy, my horses and youngsters travel happily, it fits my truck and hauls so well. I don't want a new trailer unless I positively have to scrap this one.

Has anyone ever had roof bows and the roof itself replaced on a trailer? Any drawbacks beside cost I should be aware of? The trailer repair place I got a quote from said $1k, then came back with "Nah, more like $5k after all, why don't you come look at all our new trailers for sale?" :no:

I have access to a top-notch experienced welder, have found the parts and metal we'd need to spiff things up, and am leaning strongly to having him do the repair. So please, warn me off if we'd be really stupid to replace the roof. Experiences, great COTH collective? And thanks. :yes:

ReSomething
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:40 PM
OK. I never have replaced the roof on a trailer, but DH has done a lot of wierd stuff over the years and if you have a plan, have the guy and the materials, go for it.
DH replaced a pretty big steel diesel fuel tank with a hand laid up fiberglass tank once, and apart from the time it took it was a clean and inexpensive solution to a vexing problem ( had to cut the old tank up to get it out and laid up the new tank in place).

Belg
Aug. 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
Seems like a win to me...

Guin
Aug. 13, 2011, 02:55 PM
It doesn't sound way too complicated. The roof is basically flat except for the rounded edges, right? So your welder guy should be able to saw off the roof like cutting open a tin can, and weld a new one on using new rounded edge pieces. Go with your welder!