PDA

View Full Version : Arena drags...recommendations?

bathsheba8542
Aug. 12, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi - We've just had our outdoor arena redone, and it's gorgeous. Bluestone base, with sand footing. Drainage is perfect, and it's going to be wonderful to ride in. New fencing is coming soon, and I would like to get some recommendations for a new drag.

I've been using a chain drag for now, but once the arena starts getting heavier use, I'd like to bring something else on board.

I've seen and used the rascal and a box drag. I have seen online a rotary drag with three wheels, and one with one big wheel. They look pretty interesting, but I wonder how much footing they move around. Also looking for something that I can back into corners with.

Anyone have any experience with either of the rotary models?

Or, any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Bluey
Aug. 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
The gold standard of arena drags right now seems to be the Kiser Dragmaster, that has all those little features and a water tank spraying:

http://www.abiequine.com/products/arena_drags/kiser_dragmaster.php

That is what most arenas around here use, you can make the ground as solid as you want for other than horse events, like dog agility and softer for horses and very deep for cutting.

Now, maybe you don't need that much of the state of the art drag, but that is considered one of the best today and I have seen what it does and really, it is great to ride where they use one.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
We have an ArenaWerks. The single round one you are prob talking about. Our arena sounds a lot yours--solid blue stone base, etc. I like our drag. It is a bit tricky to get into corners with though since it is round ;-) And it takes a bit of fiddling with to get it set right--right depth and right angle so it will turn/rotate. If you set it flat it won't turn. It needs to be tilted.

I wish I could afford one of the super fancy Kiser Dragmasters. Maybe in my next life?

AnotherRound
Aug. 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
I wish somebody in CT needed a good drag. I have a spring loaded road drag in my back yard my landlord said I could have. My then-barn didn't need it; it is quite the drag = with steel curls which can be set to different levels. So light, it could turn over an arena nicely, and can also be set to really dig out the moguls in your farm road, as well. Not huge, though, nor overwhelming to understand or use. If i had a place, nice ring and a tractor, I'd use it fer sher.

If anyone in CT is interested in this, I can see if I can get pics; my camera is broke, but there are people around.

Sonesta
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
We, too, have the Arena Werks round thingy. Works great as long as you know to tilt it a bit and not dig it in toooo deep.

Rabtfarm
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
I use an old gate weighed down with a pair of old Lotus Europa tires and wheels. I try to drag the arena after each day's use with a Gator type cart.
I also have a 7 foot wide LandPride York Rake which I occasionally use to fluff up the sand top base. I have to be careful with the rake as it will sometimes get the rock and rolls while going around the arena, leaving a series of wavy high and low spots which then need to be re-flattened with the drag.
The York rake also tries to keep the grass at the edges at bay.

jimc
Aug. 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
If you are using a 3-point tractor you might take a look at the Kiser Edge. It is very simple to use and perfect for most any English discipline arena. It uses the same Profile Blade Technology as the Kiser DragMaster.

http://www.abiequine.com/products/arena_drags/kiser_edge.php

Here is a video about the problems some people have with rotary harrows - http://youtu.be/icGmnsNV1Tk

dogbluehorse
Aug. 14, 2011, 08:41 PM
I have an arenavator, really like it, much better than the chain drag. Really gets in there and lightens things up. Here is one link, sure there are others
https://www.oescoinc.com/arenavator-p-3664.html?osCsid=8f520b0077429973b2d15890c611a0a9

HappyHorselover
Aug. 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
How much does the ArenaWerks run? The website doesn't say. I am looking for a drag too, but after building the arena, I don't really want to spend another couple grand on a drag!

Plumcreek
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:54 AM
I recommend the Handozer to my arena consulting clients. You can control the depth exactly and set it to whatever you want, and the side rails absolutely prevent waves from developing. It is pretty goof proof for clients with revolving barn help, and is easy to operate if you alone are doing things. I prefer the pull behind models as their hitch swivels to turn flat around tight corners, instead of moving footing sideways like 3 point hitch drags can. Even if you have a tractor, it is nice to be able to unhitch the drag casily, but most people use a quad to pull these. The drag is great, but the company can be slow to ship so stay on it if you order.

http://www.arenadrags.com/

akhunterrider
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
The Parma Arena Groomers are very nice. I believe Smartpak carries them.

Prime Time Rider
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have a 3 wheel rotary drag made by Country Manufacturing. It works well and cost about $1200 about four years ago

Rivermontfarm
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
I had a friend custom weld mine, and it only cost around $750.00! It has a 3 point hitch for the tractor, with teeth in the front, and a flat blade on the rear. It's adjustable so you can decide how deep you want the teeth to dig in. My footing is only about 4" deep, and a lot of the drags out there would have hurt my base. If you would like my friend's contact info drop me an email at rivermontfarm@gmail.com. They are located in Atlanta. Good luck!

Jleegriffith
Aug. 18, 2011, 01:27 PM
We have the kiser edge and really like it. Our base in stonedust with sand footing.

joyful
Aug. 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
I swear by my TR3. If you can afford to put in a ring, you can't afford NOT to buy a good tool to maintain the footing!