PDA

View Full Version : Need "green" horse stall wall cleaner ideas!

LEB92884
Aug. 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have any good, inexpensive "green" cleaning products to use to clean horse stall walls with? I don't want to use any toxic chemicals to clean the walls, so I am looking for some good green ideas. Thanks everyone! :)

Alagirl
Aug. 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
dish soap and elbow grease...

SMF11
Aug. 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
I know people clean their house, and mop their floor with white vinegar in water. Don't see why you couldn't do that in your stalls.

susanne
Aug. 12, 2011, 03:37 PM
Not necessarily what you're looking for, but I know of several people who have lined their stalls with puckboard. The stuff is very hard, the surface impervious (it withstands puck and stick abuse from rabid hockey players). In addition to standing up to kicks, it is said to be very easy to clean -- nothing sticks, like teflon.

Huntertwo
Aug. 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
I clean everything in my house with "Simple Green" and it cleans better than the "Chemical" cleaners. :yes:
Bathroom, the walls, mop the floor, etc.

It comes in 1 gallon concentrated jugs, so it lasts along time also.

Equibrit
Aug. 12, 2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.puregreen24.com/

Appsolute
Aug. 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Another vote for "Simple Green"

Works great, I can clean every room of the house with it, and use it on harder jobs (like the grease my husband's Harley drips) outdoors.

tasia
Aug. 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
Pressure washer.

kayteedee
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
Another vote for white vinegar. Cheap, and naturally antimicrobial. Though your stall may smell like a salad.

LEB92884
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice!

marta
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
like dr. brommer's, or similar. safe. cleans great. you can get it in lavender or peppermint. i use it for everything -facial wash, horse shampoo, dog shampoo, and even laundry detergent when i run out.

Renae
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
I also like Simple Green. You can get it in gallon jugs in the cleaning section of Home Depot. Also check out the dairy section of you local farm store.

Nes
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:51 PM
Vinegar & sunlight

(not the soap, the stuff from the sky)

Guilherme
Aug. 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
Pressure washer. An electric one is nothing but water. Can it get any greener??? ;)

G.

Mozart
Aug. 16, 2011, 02:15 AM
A third vote for pressure washer and plain water.

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 16, 2011, 06:11 AM
I'd go for a pressure washer, and vinegar! :D

Mr.GMan
Aug. 16, 2011, 07:28 AM
Another vote for white vinegar. Cheap, and naturally antimicrobial. Though your stall may smell like a salad.

That's what my son said after I started spritzing vinegar in the kids' hair to help repel lice---"I smell like a salad now!":lol:

tasia
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:55 PM
That's what my son said after I started spritzing vinegar in the kids' hair to help repel lice---"I smell like a salad now!":lol:

He should be glad you didn't use a pressure washer on him:D

fivehorses
Aug. 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
A little tip here I discovered today.
I had to wash the stall fronts. I simple green'd and scrubbed, didn't do it. So, I took out the pressure washer and away I went.

Then I had a pool, well a few pools of water. I was thinking I would never get rid of the water, and then Voila...the shop vac. How genius(actually, I didn't think of it, my help suggested it). I have had such a good day...hosing, shop vac'ing.

Now, I am deciding what to do with those stall fronts...stain them, leave them, what.
Any ideas.

I thnk tomorrow, I am doing the white vinegar. I am in a cleaning mode! Now that I know the shop vac will come to my rescue!

LEB92884
Aug. 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
Nice! Well, I am not so sure I can bring in a pressure washer into the farm that my horse is at as it's not my barn. The walls are concrete and painted white so you can see the stains and nastiness everywhere. It's icky. But I will have to do your other suggestions! :) Thank you.

Guilherme
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nice! Well, I am not so sure I can bring in a pressure washer into the farm that my horse is at as it's not my barn. The walls are concrete and painted white so you can see the stains and nastiness everywhere. It's icky. But I will have to do your other suggestions! :) Thank you.

Talk to your BM. If this is a concern of other boarders then maybe a "pressure party" is in order.

Pressure washers will remove paint. We stripped a wood house prior to repainting with one. :) But it doesn't have to. I use the pressure washer on the trailer, cars, and other structures (painted and not) and don't do any damage.

If you did wash the wall the an paint was damaged then finish the job (i.e., strip it) and go get and apply some replacement paint. Then send the BM a bill for "stall overhaul"!!!! :lol:

You can't get "greener" than plain water. Reducing flow while increasing pressure makes it work better as a cleaner and stain remover.

Good luck in your project.

G.