PDA

View Full Version : So that horse that wouldn't stop? Great Update w/video

FlashGordon
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
Remember her? I've posted about her a few times and rec'd many helpful suggestions. 15 year old TB, sketchy past, novice owner who has little formal training but pretty good natural feel and good instincts.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292679

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311360

After an epically bad episode in July I had "the talk" with my friend. Now I don't give up on horses, having reprogrammed some really sh!tty ones, but I was starting to think this mare was not salvageable. It was to the point where the horse was dangerous and someone was going to get hurt. It made me sad, for both my friend and the horse. The resident "trainer" at the barn wouldn't touch the horse with a 10 foot pole. We tried putting any rider on her that was brave enough to try her, hoping someone might give her the kind of ride that she needed. Everyone had the Exact Same Problem with her.

And then by some weird twist of fate.... I met "meupatdoes" not even realizing that I "knew" her in the realm of COTH. I watched her ride her two horses and within minutes I realized I had found someone that could potentially ride this mare.

But even I did not expect such dramatic results. I am blown away. She's put maybe 10 rides on her thus far. Here is video they took tonight:

Meupatdoes on the mare: (sorry these two are rotated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2gV6gN69BY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spwf8u_TKRo

And the owner on her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6gNZfLh3ig

I'm so happy for my friend, who I'm pretty sure would have walked away from horses altogether or gotten hurt. And for the mare who now has a second chance. She is reformed in so many ways. She's happy, relaxed, she looks different and acts different. My dear friend *finally* has a ridable horse. I can't wait to see them both in another 6 months.

Now to convince Meupatdoes that she needs to stay here in WNY for good. ;)

MiasPal
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:02 AM
Cute horse....lucky owner :D

Funny what a difference a month of really incredible training can do to a has been "frieght train pony!"

I second that vote to have meupatdoes become a permanaent wny addition! .....meupatdoes...my hero!

Cant wait to see the 3 month update!

ThoroughbredFancy
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:16 AM
The horse looks very relaxed. Nice work to all of you being able to bring her along again.

I went through a similar spat with a TB I once owned. It's so hard learning to LET GO on a horse that's bolting, jumping, kicking out, dropping shoulders and just generally tweaking. Holding back or bracing on these horses drives them nuts. IME, once they get it in their brain that you're going to brace or hold them back when you have the slightest resistance they just short circuit. At least that's what I faced with an OTTB I retrained. When you get a beautiful end result, it's SO rewarding.

I'm happy to hear that your friend and her mare have a positive partnership again. I hope it continues down that path and they have many more successful rides and competitions. :)

WBLover
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
WOW, you would NEVER KNOW that mare had such a history. She's relaxed, happy, looks wonderful! Good job, you!!

SillyHorse
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:34 AM
I can only guess how thrilled your friend must be. Congrats to you for recognizing that meupatdoes was the one to make everyone happy. :)

onelanerode
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
Awesome! :) It doesn't get much better than that!

It's such a wonderful feeling when things start to come together and you get the chance to feel how it should be. I remember what fun it was having those lightbulb moments with EqT and my mare. Those are what make riding so rewarding. :yes:

Way to go FG and meupatdoes!!

FlashGordon
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys! I can't even begin to convey how tickled I am that things have taken a major turn for the positive. I don't think I have ever been so pleased with a horse's progress, and she's not even mine, lol. But I always liked the horse and felt as though she was inherently a good girl, and the rider is my best barn buddy. So I felt invested in the partnership.

TF, I think that is a lot of what happened with this mare. IMO it began before my friend even acquired her, and had been well programmed into her brain. There was some progress made in the first 6 months, but we just couldn't truly get her over the hump.

I can't take any of the credit, meupatdoes has done all the hard work. If she hadn't shown up out of the great blue yonder this summer, I am not sure where horse and rider would be right now.

Anyway thanks for sharing in my excitement, hubby can't figure out why I keep coming home from the barn grinning ear to ear. Figure you horse peeps would get it.... ;)

merrygoround
Aug. 12, 2011, 02:06 PM
Sounds like the poor rider is in a barn with a "trainer" (as you put it), and a group of riders who have no idea that kick and pull is not the educated way to ride. Having met, and helped riders like this one, I realize that the world, seems to have a lot of those "riders".

Congratulations on solving the problem, and now having a chance to continue educating a rider.

witherbee
Aug. 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Having almost ruined my sweet RID by getting grabby at the canter (he was a greenie that I raised from a foal and did not give him a good foundation at the canter), I know how important it is to LET GO. With TBs even more so. I got my poor guy so worried about cantering (because he was unbalanced as he learned and would kind of leap into a gallop, instead of breaking off in to a canter like I was used to), that he just would short ciruit and bolt and then I would freak and grab. Even when I thought I was being soft, I wasn't. Thanks to a GREAT, soft trainer, he and I are well on our way to a normal canter.

So glad to see this progress and hope the rider can keep that softness without her mentor there - that is my challenge too!

johnnysauntie
Aug. 12, 2011, 02:25 PM
How cool that things turned out the way they did. Well done, Meup and Flash. The mare looks as happy as a clam.

FlashGordon
Aug. 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds like the poor rider is in a barn with a "trainer" (as you put it), and a group of riders who have no idea that kick and pull is not the educated way to ride. Having met, and helped riders like this one, I realize that the world, seems to have a lot of those "riders".

Congratulations on solving the problem, and now having a chance to continue educating a rider.

Yes, unfortunately, "training" at the barn is typically draw reins and muscling horses. Rider was smart enough to realize this was not the way to go, and did a good job plugging along on her own. I give her a lot of credit. A lot of people would have turned this horse into a chronic rearer (she was on her way there when my friend bought her) or given up after a few months, she was THAT hard to ride.

I jumped in around January, and tried to introduce some basic lateral work and exercises that would help both horse and rider relax, but they were stuck in such a cycle and I ran out of ideas.

Anyway it has been a real pleasure to see the turn around in this mare. And the rider being able to feel what it is like when her horse is relaxed and going correctly has been a priceless learning experience.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 13, 2011, 12:24 AM
While I have noticed that meupatdoes does not suffer fools gladly on this board:), I have read many of her advice posts and watched her vids of her "nothing" horses she turns into gold, and I would buy any horse she had to sell, anytime.* You are so fortunate to have run into her. Trainers like that give us our horses, you know what I mean?

*if I ever have money again:lol:

FlashGordon
Aug. 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
While I have noticed that meupatdoes does not suffer fools gladly on this board:), I have read many of her advice posts and watched her vids of her "nothing" horses she turns into gold, and I would buy any horse she had to sell, anytime.* You are so fortunate to have run into her. Trainers like that give us our horses, you know what I mean?

*if I ever have money again:lol:

This is true..... frankly I find her honesty refreshing as she pulls no punches and that is not something you find often in the horse world. Or in the general population, I guess. I watched her ride both horses in a clinic this weekend and it was really fun. Most intriguing is the fact that the two are *so different* yet equally successful. And they both work so hard for her. A testament to her abilities, IMO.

Anyway my friend had a bit of a tricky ride on her mare today, but the best part was, she had some new tools in her tool box to work through it. So at the end of the day instead of being frustrated, she seemed upbeat about the fact that she was able to approach the issue instead of being beaten by it.

wookie
Aug. 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
where is this meup...located?

FlashGordon
Aug. 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
where is this meup...located?

I'll let her disclose her location, if she so desires... but no you cannot have her! I'm keeping her for myself. At least long enough to get my mare going. I need to get to Morgan Worlds 2012. (Ha.)