PDA

View Full Version : Barn Builders in Aiken, SC

SimplyIdle
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone have good suggestions for affordable barn builders in the Aiken, SC area?

Thanks!

pds
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:50 PM
We are doing a basic pole barn with this builder. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yarboroughs-Construction-Co-Inc/262924199623

36' x 60'
6 - 12' x 12' matted stalls, insulated roof, a wash rack, a tack room and a feed room, a decorative non-functional coupla and concrete in the center aisle, wash, feed and tack room.

We have not started construction yet (hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks) but the barns I have looked at that he built look great.

We also checked out Zekany Construction and Rustic Barns. Fancy barn builders and wish I had the budget for one of theirs but sadly do not

Where are you building? Our new place will be out Hwy 302 and Hatchaway Bridge Road.

baysngreys
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=pds;5770373]We are doing a basic pole barn with this builder. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yarboroughs-Construction-Co-Inc/262924199623

36' x 60'
6 - 12' x 12' matted stalls, insulated roof, a wash rack, a tack room and a feed room, a decorative non-functional coupla...
QUOTE]

PDS - Down here you're going to want a Functioning Cupola, and as many ridge, gable and roof vents as you can put in. You want to get the hot air moving up and out of the barn.

OP - Morton also builds in this area; Cooper Home and Stable; Larlee Construction (www.larleeconstruction.com); Taylor Made Barns; Zekany (www.Zekanyconstruction.com); are some local builders.
You can find them all listed in the Aiken Horse (www.theaikenhorse.com)
If I could afford them, I'd use Larlee. They build gorgeous barns and have received several historic restoration awards, but they are pricey.

pds
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
baysngreys, Thanks for the advice. Barn will have a ridge vent the entire length of roof as well as a big exhaust fan in the peak at one end.

fivehorses
Aug. 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
agree with above list of builders, plus hoover barns.

Echoing baysngreys, working cupola for sure, plus lots of openess for air flow.

saje
Aug. 6, 2013, 07:46 AM
I'm dragging this up from the depths to see how pds and baysngreys like the barns they had built, and to see what the OP SimplyIdle ended up doing.

We've recently moved into the general area, and I have a shed of sorts, but I'm looking to put up a shedrow barn, I think. Though I'm also considering a high roofed pole barn with open walled stalls... not really sure until I price things a bit.

Anyone else out there have recommendations or, possibly more importantly, any anti-recs?

fivehorses
Aug. 6, 2013, 11:35 PM
Me!
I have never met such challenging bunch of contractors in my life as the ones in Aiken.

You have to be extremely careful, as some contractors don't pay their subs, abscond with your money, or just are lousy.
Hoover is a decent barn, can do low end. Elite construction is good, Chris a decent guy.
The contractor I ended up with to turn my shed row into a center aisle and to add an apt tack room and wash stall was Ryan hicks, his number is 803 443 1683.
Ryan was so easy to work with, great crew, fast(very unheard of) and excellent at communicating with me.
Part of the time I was there, rest I have been north. We chat, text, send photos to discuss progress. I am totally comfortable not being there, and I am kind of a control freak. If something was not the way I wanted, Ryan was fine about changing it, and also not charging me, unless more material, etc.

I think building can be stressful, but Ryan and his crew were šo polite, and hard workers, I never felt stressed. I have actually enjoyed the experience, and would hire ryan again in a heartbeat. I am gushing because I have built a few times here up north, and was ripped off, promised a start date, and no show, and just discouraging experiences with many of aiken s builders. I actually have met most of them.
Only ones I would consider are:
Ryan hicks
Mitch Johnson(the one on powderhouse)
Hoover bldrs
Matthew yoder
Elite construction
Ones I have good things but no personal experience
Larlee
Rustic builders
The others as well as some not mentioned I would not waste your time. Jmhe

saje
Aug. 7, 2013, 06:57 AM
Excellent, thank you!

At the moment I have to go with a very simple construction, as much as I'd like to do all the bells and whistles. Hoover is one I was looking at (they're also really close to where I live), but I'm glad for the other recommendations too.

Badger
Aug. 7, 2013, 07:03 AM
Excellent experience with Elite. Neighbors have been happy with Yoder and with Larlee ($$$).

saje
Aug. 7, 2013, 07:48 AM
I thought Elite was who you used! I know you were very happy with them. The more I think about it the more I'm liking the idea of a high roofed pole barn with free standing stalls set well back w/ walls that are mostly pipe/mesh, and a chunk of the structure as a run-in. Sort of a modified Mare Motel, I think.

pds
Aug. 29, 2013, 02:02 PM
I'm dragging this up from the depths to see how pds and baysngreys like the barns they had built, and to see what the OP SimplyIdle ended up doing.

We've recently moved into the general area, and I have a shed of sorts, but I'm looking to put up a shedrow barn, I think. Though I'm also considering a high roofed pole barn with open walled stalls... not really sure until I price things a bit.

Anyone else out there have recommendations or, possibly more importantly, any anti-recs?

Photos of our barn.
https://www.facebook.com/paul.smith.33633/media_set?set=a.10150693675964837.420704.560024836&type=3
We love it and Yarborough Construction was excellent to work with. Would certainly use again.