PDA

View Full Version : silly opening date question

Xanthoria
Aug. 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
In the US when a recognized event's entries open on say Aug 23 (for example!) does that mean entries must be postmarked that date or later? Or can they arrive on the 23rd (ie mailed the day before) and be accepted?

TIA!

pass
Aug. 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
It may not be postmarked before opening date. You may hand deliver it on opening, but not to be postmarked before that.

JP60
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:39 PM
It may not be postmarked before opening date. You may hand deliver it on opening, but not to be postmarked before that.

So to be clear, it is a greater then and equal to condition (>=)

If postmark >= opening date and < closing date then
Entry is okay
else if postmark < opening date then
Try again
else if postmark >= closing date then
stay home

The programmer in me comes out at times.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:39 PM

Entry is okay
Try again
stay home

Wrong. Can't be postmarked before Opening Date but must be RECIEVED by Closing date. Postmark does not count for closing date. It must be in the secretary's hot little hand on closing date, no matter the postmark date.

JP60
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:53 PM
It must be in the secretary's hot little hand on closing date, no matter the postmark date.

This is why we need specs. I'll modify the program as stated.

... If Entry != hot little hands then
forgettaboutit
:)

Beam Me Up
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
Just getting it in by the closing date doesn't guarantee acceptance though--the event can fill before that. The "draw" covers the situation where more than enough entries to fill the event are postmarked on opening date and some need to be waitlisted.

Janet
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
Wrong. Can't be postmarked before Opening Date but must be RECIEVED by Closing date. Postmark does not count for closing date. It must be in the secretary's hot little hand on closing date, no matter the postmark date.

That is technically true through this year. Starting Dec 1, 2011, it is only the postmark that must be on or before the closing date.

But realistically, I don't know a single organizer who will turn down an entry postmarked on or befoer the closing date

Janet
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
This is why we need specs. I'll modify the program as stated.

... If Entry != hot little hands then
forgettaboutit
:)
Even that is not all of it.

The organizer can chose (and around here, they all do if they have not filled) to accept entries after the closing date, for an additional fee.

4. CLOSING DATE. The closing date for entries will be four weeks after the opening date.
This date must be published in the prize list of the competition. In the case of insufficient
entries, the organizer may accept post-entries. If this is done, the organizer may charge an
additional fee for the entries made after the original date, not to exceed an amount equal to
the original entry fee. Entries received after this will not be accepted.

... If Entry != hot little hands then PAY extra fee.

pass
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:18 AM

Entry is okay
Try again
stay home

And if train A is travelling South at 75 MPH, and train B is travelling North......

The panic stricken flashback of word problems comes out in me!!! Please stop!

Xanthoria
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
Ha! Thanks for clearing that up ;)

GreyGelding
Aug. 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
PROGRAM(Postmark)=much enjoyment at lunch! :lol:

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Just getting it in by the closing date doesn't guarantee acceptance though--the event can fill before that. The "draw" covers the situation where more than enough entries to fill the event are postmarked on opening date and some need to be waitlisted.

Yes, this is, in theory, true. And I am sure it does happen, occasionally. The times I have gotten entires into events that I was told "filled early and always had wait lists" I neve had any problem with sending entries in late (but clearly before closing date) And that was back when events weren't struggling for entries like many are these days.

As for getting an entry into an organizer's hot little hand by CD even if it was postmarked on or before that, and not having it turned down....BTDT. I got lucky though and there was a scratch and I was able to get in. And had to pay the $25 late fee, even though it was clearly postmarked before CD.

It never hurts to send an entry in late, and accept that you will pay the late fee. There is a good chance you will get in.

I have agrued about the CD issue of hot little hand vs postmark. I appreciate the organizer's point that they are not able to control delivery times and having entries come in way late because they got hung up in the postal system is 1) not their fault and 2) really makes scheduling a nightmare. However, what if I mail an entry in a week before CD and it still gets there after CD? I will prob have to pay the late fee, if I get in. Yet it was mailed well in advance. Just like the organizer, I cannot control the postal service.

No good answer answer except sending things overnight. Even priority mail, which is supposed to be 3 days, is not GUARATEED to be 3 days!!

Not all things can be solved in the real world.

TB or not TB?
Aug. 13, 2011, 05:54 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if everything were digitalized for easy processing... :sigh:

scubed
Aug. 13, 2011, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if everything were digitalized for easy processing... :sigh:

Is this not what evententries does?

TB or not TB?
Aug. 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
Can you pay online with EE? I was under the impression you still had to mail a check. It's been a long time since I've used it though. :)

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
Not all shows accept on line/digital entries. :-( And I have seen a few that even if you do enter on line, they still want hard copies of some of the stuff. Plus have get all the signitures digitalized along with coggins and applicable membership cards.