PDA

View Full Version : Need to move empty trailer

4lucayan
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:21 PM
Just purchased a 2 horse gooseneck trailer outside of San Diego.
Unfortunately I live in Kansas City and am trying to find a way
to get it here-or close. Anybody driving w/a truck this way from
California?

deltawave
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:25 PM
Try U-ship.

goodhors
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:25 PM
You may want to check with Uship, get a bid to have it delivered. I have heard good things about the people who move things for you.

Also you may want to get the trailer serviced, lights working, brakes, axles, bearings packed in grease, tires in good shape. A spare inside with wrench that fits the trailer lugs for changing a tire. This is done so you KNOW things are in good shape with trailer before a long drive.

You don't want the driver of trailer to have big problems while out on the road with trailer, working with local mechanic they happen to find to fix stuff. I pretty much never have trailer problems while hauling, except when I had to borrow a trailer. We spent HOURS stuck alongside the toll booths between the Ohio and Penn. turnpikes. Lucky husband was along, so he took truck to hunt for new bearings in ungreased wheels. Also VERY lucky it was a larger trailer, since the Old Mare was small and didn't cause problems standing inside the unhitched trailer during that long time. Gives me nightmares to remember that time.

The few times we have needed to borrow a trailer (horse or flatbed) since, we just have them serviced, greased, checked tires and spare, before leaving home. And THEY ALWAYS FOUND problems, no grease again, spare with no air, slow leaks in tires under trailer, no brake fluid, so money was well spent before leaving. Backwards rent I guess. Free-to-use trailer, we paid for servicing, so trailer owner was safe when we returned the item! Owners had no clue about any issues, or had disregarded the small stuff when they used it (didn't THINK to mention problems!), doesn't have a maintenance program on trailers.

HoofaSchmigetty
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
If you hope to ever see your trailer...AVOID USHIP

Google the following

uship theft
uship scams

You'll need WEEKS to read it all

Should you choose to go that route MAKE CERTAIN that whomever you choose is a licensed USDOT hauler as 99% of uship haulers are NOT. They have no insurance and god forbid something happens....YOU are liable. Yes, thats right...YOU hired THEM...THEY work for YOU. Insist on getting their USDOT number as well as a copy certificate of proof of COMMERCIAL insurance.

goodhors
Aug. 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
Well thanks for that information! The folks I talked to were happy with their Uship transactions. But there are always bad apples in the basket, so double checking is a good idea. Having their DOT number and insurance would make them tracable.