PDA

View Full Version : Blenheim/ Burghley Grants

atheventer85
Aug. 10, 2011, 05:43 PM
Doesn't it seem a little absurd that once again Boyd and Phillip are getting grants when A) other people have worked just as hard and don't have the same funds B) Neville hasn't done a 3Day since WEG... There are many very deserving candidates who I'm sure could use the money and didn't earn it. Thoughts?

Babble
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:25 PM
I have to disagree with you here....

My first though when I saw the list was "well, now all of those choices make a lot of sense." Phillip and Boyd are our top contenders for London, and they need to go and test themselves against the best. I think that the grants should go to pairs that have a good chance of going overseas and putting together a strong performance/top finish, and I think all of these recipients have a good chance of doing just that.

I also don't really understand your comment about Neville. Even if he hadn't been pulled from a burning building barely alive less than three months ago, why would he need to run another three day? The only thing that kept him off the podium at the WEG was his dressage - I don't blame Boyd for wanting to save his legs. And furthermore, why should that preclude him from getting a grant?

nextyear
Aug. 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have to disagree with you here....

My first though when I saw the list was "well, now all of those choices make a lot of sense." Phillip and Boyd are our top contenders for London, and they need to go and test themselves against the best. I think that the grants should go to pairs that have a good chance of going overseas and putting together a strong performance/top finish, and I think all of these recipients have a good chance of doing just that.

I also don't really understand your comment about Neville. Even if he hadn't been pulled from a burning building barely alive less than three months ago, why would he need to run another three day? The only thing that kept him off the podium at the WEG was his dressage - I don't blame Boyd for wanting to save his legs. And furthermore, why should that preclude him from getting a grant?

Pushing the "agree" button!

atheventer85
Aug. 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
Phillip isn't a top contender.... he doesn't have anything up and going that's even completed a CCI*** yet. Neville in all honesty doesn't need to be running a 4* this soon to his recovering from the fire, but that's just my opinion. Plus, PD and Boyd both have sponsors/ owners who can easily cover their trips overseas. Why not give the grants to those who need financial aid??

gold2012
Aug. 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Because that is not how our system works.

Divine Comedy
Aug. 10, 2011, 07:59 PM
Why not give the grants to those who need financial aid??

It's not a charity case, or even like giving financial aid to people who need to college. Calling it 'financial aid' is essentially incorrect. It's a GRANT and it's given to those who have been producing results and are expected to continue to produce results. Why shouldn't riders such as Phillip or Boyd deserve this grant, when they have consistently been proving themselves? And I seriously doubt Boyd at least is rolling in cash, seeing as he's had to replace so much equipment and lost so much in the fire. Phillip lost a barn too, don't forget.

These grants are not for helping those with less money to get overseas. These grants are for winning riders over here to go over and win over there.

Congrats to everyone on the list, I think it's great!

NCRider
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
Travel grants are competition grants. Look at who the Brits fund to come to rolex. WFP, MK, etc.

Philip is our best rider. He's going to have to ride someone in London. It's time to start figuring out who that's going to be.

Boyd is probably our best rider going forward.

Blugal
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:13 AM
Sponsors shouldn't have to foot the bill just because they can afford it. If the rider is eligible for a merit-based grant, it should go to that rider regardless.