PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning my horse

Crown Royal
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
I have a 14yo 100% sound TB gelding that is on a preventative maitenance joint supplement. He has had a light-moderate work schedule this summer, mostly doing dressage with a little bit of cross-country jumping here and there. I want to get him nice and fit while keeping his mind busy. The farm where he's boarded has a couple big hills and a 1.5-2 mile trail with 2 up and down hills (very very small) and the rest is mostly flat (a few slopes here and there, goes around cornfields).

Two days ago I took him out and trotted non-stop (after a warm-up) up one big hill and down the 2 mile trail, then turned around and walked all the way back. He had a light coating of sweat with a little bit of lather by the time we finished trotting, but was dry when we got back.

Yesterday I took him out with another horse and did very short trot sets on the flat parts with a lot more walking, and walked the whole 2 miles back. Then we did a couple cross-country fences.

He was a little tired the first day afterwards but was fine last night. My question is, is this a good start to conditioning him and how often can I take him out and trot the 2 mile stretch? Obviously I'd listen to him first and foremost so if he would start to tire I would just walk, but he is a very willing TB that doesn't like to say no so I just want to be sure I'm not overdoing anything. He won't be doing anything more than walk/trot dressage tests, beginner novice horse trials, and 2'9"-3' jumper classes. So nothing too strenuous, but I like to have him fit, especially since he's getting older- I want him in good shape!

Thanks!

CdnRider
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
100% sound? You may have just jinxed yourself! Go knock on some wood!

Crown Royal
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
Shhhh!