PDA

View Full Version : Ecogold Memory Foam half pad?

Carried Away
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone use one of these? I am looking for feedback and haven't found many reviews so far...

My horse has the lovely dip behind the withers issue, as well as having a slight curve to his back. I love my Black Country Quantum but having been using a Fleeceworks with it and would like something that offers more protection and can help fill in small gaps better.

Have also considered the Ogilvy pad which is similar.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

breakthru
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:15 PM
Yes! I have a short-coupled horse and I am a tall, long-thighed rider, and no matter how many times/how often I get saddles fit to him we just are built funny for eachother, and he would always get pressure points sort of just behind his withers with his jump saddle. The Ecogold pad works great! no more pressure points and his trot and jump are much happier and floatier. I highly recommend it.

breakthru
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
Oh, and also forgot to add that I have a student on a tight budget that tried to get her old saddle fit to her new horse- it sort of worked, but wasn't really a perfect fit. The horse got a little sore- we tried the Ecogold pad on him and same results- much happier back, no soreness. She is borrowing my pad until she can save up to buy a saddle that fits up properly, and so far, it's working out great- so great, she's considering scrapping the buy a new saddle plan and just getting an ecogold pad for herself!

Lisa Cook
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:46 PM
I have to admit....my dressage saddle does not quite fit my horse properly. I know this, but horse has been for sale, and I didn't see the point in buying another dressage saddle just to fit him, when he could be gone at any moment.

He had been a little back sore from the dressage saddle, so after getting him chiro & massaged, I switched to riding dressage in my jump saddle, which does fit him well and he was comfortable. But dressage in a jump saddle = :dead:

I bought the Eco Gold 1/2 pad during their fundraiser for Boyd Martin. Tried it with my dressage saddle - and he's been great! NO soreness or discomfort of any kind, and he has periodic massages/chiro adjustments and nothing has been found out of place with his back since using the Eco Gold pad. And I get to ride dressage in a dressage saddle. Woo hoo! :)

Carried Away
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys!

breakthru, my horse is very short coupled also, so saddle fit has been very fun since I got him in March :) glad to hear that the pad has worked for you and your student. Have you had luck finding a dressage saddle that works for your horse's back?

Lisa, I have been dressaging in my jump saddle since I don't feel that my current dressage saddle fits him well and I HATE IT!!!! Would be so happy to be able to use it again!!

I am definitely going to give the Ecogold pad a try...and there are no used ones to be had anywhere, so I think that's a good sign :)

LLong
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
I've been thinking about getting an ecogold pad with the wither riser option, or a thinline hald pad with riser options. (I have a TB with shark fin withers and I can't get any saddle to fit correctly.)

Any thoughts on ecogold vs. thinline anyone?

Eventer55
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
Ok, out of curiosity I pulled up their ad and for some reason the demo part cracked me
up. . . :lol:

I wanted to go out, rent an old Dean Martin film and eat M&Ms while watching it.

Seriously, it looks like a good pad.

jen-s
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have a regular (but ancient) TL, an ultra TL, and an Ecogold half pad (purchased during the Boyd Martin fundraiser). My curvy backed, high withered Appendix went noticeably better in the ancient TL, so I "upgraded" to the ultra TL when I found one at a steal of a deal. Used that for a year or so and while it was great, we really needed a bit more wither padding for my jump saddle as it sat just a little low in front (after 2 custom flockings no less) so I was using a saddle pad, ultra TL, 1 mattes shim on each side of the withers, and then the saddle on top. This worked ok, but getting the shims even was a chore, but I've been to cheap to invest in the TL trifecta that is shimmable.

Since I bought the EG half pad this past summer, I've only used my TL once and frankly, I don't think I'll go back there. He's soooooo happy in the EG and my saddle fits MUCH better than it ever has. I'll keep my TL and use it when I ride flatter backed horses as the EG does have a good curve to it, but I'm really happy with the EG as is my gelding.

caryledee
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
I've been looking at these pads myself. So do you use the wither riser pads with the half pad? Or do those just go with the full pads? Is the half pad enough to lift the front of the saddle if the horse has some dip behind the withers?

wildlifer
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to note, bought a regular Ecogold pad recently and it is fantastic. I've done a lot of emailing w/ the company and John and Patricia are phenomenal and are really going out of their way to work with me and make sure I end up with what works perfectly for me. I'm ditching the ThinLine because it doesn't breathe AT ALL. My horse is very happy with the Ecogold and so am I.

eventer_mi
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Carried Away - I bought the EG half pad because I got a killer deal on mine off Ebay, and I was looking to fix the same problem you have - TB type of build, slightly curvy back, hollows behind withers, and I also have a Black Country jumping saddle (mine is a Tex Eventer). My saddle was professionally by my friend, who suggested that I use a halfpad just to raise it slightly off his back so that the wither clearance was better. Before my EG, I had been on the hunt searching for a half pad that would work and not alter the otherwise-perfect fit. I tried a Saddle Right pad (too much bulk, left dry spots), a THinline (dry spots, but better), Correct pad (no dry spots but shot out the front of the saddle), and my barn owner's fleeceworks half pad (dry spots). After getting slightly panicky and thinking that I might just have to bite the bullet and deal with the dry spots in the Thinline, I watched the video of the M&Ms and was sold. I figured I could always resell it if it didn't work. Lo and behold, no dry spots, and great cushioning. I am in LOVE with my Ecogold half pad and use it on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to change the way my saddle fits at all, but it does give me the lift I need (without the wither riser pads). It's a great pad!

besum1
Aug. 10, 2011, 08:18 PM
my question about the memory foam in the ecogold pad is how long do they last? I know in the foam vs. wool saddle flocking debate when the foam and wool "die" only the wool can be re-stuffed to fit your horse

So does the memory foam in the saddle pad last longer than a couple years? And when/if it does die does it still provide protection because of the other layers?

I know with thinline their product lasts forever (or seem to so far!) And i think the newer TL products are breathable (or that is what they say on their website). I know I've been very happy with my cotton ultra TL 1/2 pad (http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=150) b/c it's not bulky (I hate super bulky things- I feel like its like trying to stuff a sleeping bag in a really small bag- something squishy eventually turns into a rock- and I don't want my saddle to become rock like on my horse's back!) and I don't feel like it makes my horse extra sweaty- actually today with just a light lounge he wasn't even sweaty on his back where the pad sits- just in his girth and saddle flap area and where the bridle was.

Though i do have to say the Ecogold pad has some great advertisement and I'm sure it does work (success stories only happen with great products!!) But I just wonder about how long it's life span might be... Anyone have a thought???

jen-s
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
I can't speak for how long the foam will last, but I keep it stored on top of my saddle after use, so that it's not being compressed anywhere. I figure that can only help it's longevity.

The EG was sufficient that I didn't need a wither riser pad and for that, I'm very grateful. The one drawback that I've found is that it can "muffle" some of the close contact feel. So if you're an UL dressage rider, you're probably not going to like it (or so says my dressage trainer). That said, I'm very much not an UL anything and my horse LOVES it, so I'm totally sold. When I have the extra cash, I'll gladly buy the matching saddle pad for underneath.

pattnic
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
So... let's say I need to use a pad to accomodate fit a slightly-too-wide to a horse that is currently developing over the topline. Normally, I would use a correction pad (Thinline sheepskin) with shims for this job. Is the consensus that a *good-quality* (Ecogold, T-Form) memory foam pad would work just as well?

And how do these pads compare to Ultra Thinline, for those who use it for the rider's back?

LLong
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Anyone who is upgrading to an Ecogold half pad...

I will buy your thinline half pad! (But I want one that can accommodate inserts, so the trifecta or comfort half pad I guess)

Zoomd
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
LLong, PMed

jen-s
Aug. 11, 2011, 03:00 PM
So... let's say I need to use a pad to accomodate fit a slightly-too-wide to a horse that is currently developing over the topline. Normally, I would use a correction pad (Thinline sheepskin) with shims for this job. Is the consensus that a *good-quality* (Ecogold, T-Form) memory foam pad would work just as well?

And how do these pads compare to Ultra Thinline, for those who use it for the rider's back?

For a slightly too wide, but overall fit is good, I think you might be fine. If you had a saddle that was just perfect for the horse, the EG might make it a smidge narrow. Again, this is just my opinion and I could be totally off base.

As far as the riders back, I don't notice a difference between the TL/ultra TL, EG. I don't ever ride w/o anything unless I'm bareback, so I can't weigh in there, but haven't noticed any new problems since I switched to the EG. Except that my saddle fits better and my horse is happier, rounder, more floaty, etc.

Auburn
Aug. 11, 2011, 05:31 PM
Well, my Thinline sheepskin, half pad with shims just fell apart today. I was brushing the dried sweat areas and a big square ripped out. :no:

I have owned it for about three years. Since I use it with my jumping saddle, I only used it several times per month with three months off in the Winter. Mostly, I use my fleeceworks sheepskin dressage saddle pad, which I have had longer and used more.

Has anyone else had their sheepskin Thinline just fall apart? :confused:

Does anybody know of any sales on the EcoGold?

*Trinity*
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
It seems like that is quite different uses for the Ecogold and Thinline pads. I have the Thinline Contour and like it for several reasons, one being that it's thin enough to not change the fit of my saddle. My dressage saddle fits my horse perfectly, but I like a little something extra between a pad and the saddle. The Thinline provides enough shock absorption that my horse's jarring trot is easier to sit and I can only imagine it's easier on his back (not just my lack of flopping around, but if it's doing that much for me, then it may be for him as well). My jump saddle is ever so slightly off in fit, so I put the Thinline then a sheepskin half pad overtop. I took the Ultra Thinline on trial and didn't like it. My saddle is only a 16.5" and the Ultra Thinline was barely large enough. I also didn't find it made a difference for me or my horse. The Contour has more coverage and is slightly thicker, but not so thick that it takes the close contact feel away.

The Ecogold and other memory foam pads (Olgivy, etc) seem to be used mostly for correction of saddle fit. Personally, I don't like memory foam as a pad unless it's for minimal corrections - it squishes down and then what? You're left with a smushed piece of foam. In my opinion, foam only does it's job when there is dynamic pressure and it has time to compress/decompress. Ie, pressure on and off, such as a sleeping person tossing and turning on a matress or the hammer in the Ecogold video. I'd like to see them drop something heavy on the pad and leave it there without the M&M being damaged.

LookmaNohands
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
I use an Equalizer memory foam pad--actually I have several. There were recommended to me many years ago and I ordered one. At the time I was bringing back my upper level eventer from a minor tendon injury and could only walk him under saddle. After a week of this my rear was getting sore. The pad came in and I put it on my horse and by the time I got to the end of the driveway riding in it, I said OMG! WOW! I could tell the difference. I have used them ever since!!

Don't know anything about the Ecogold ones.

Carried Away: you can change your horse's dip in the back by doing back lifts! It is often just a postural thing but also related to back and saddle fit issues. Just because a horse in low in the back doesn't mean it has to be!

Not that hard to change it permanently!
:)

patricia.dasilva
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:31 AM
Wow. Thanks for the great reviews.

Just to clarify a little, ECOGOLD's Memory Foam Triple Protection Half Pad (https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=111&osCsid=1iaqn8oumunm1hqr4dbigbqe15) is quite different from any other brand, as it the only half pad to combine 3 types of foam - the Memory Foam layer is 1 component, but it also has a layer of High Density Open Cell Impact Foam & Low Density Open Cell Foam.

It is the combination of the 3 different materials that make it so effective. so "Memory Foam" yes, but the key here is the "Triple Protection".

Here's more information (http://www.ecogold.ca/videos-and-blog/page-15940/m-ms-impact-test-ecogold-launches-memory-foam-triple-protection-half-pad-with-a-bang.html/)

breakthru
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
Slightly off topic, but for those of you who have an Ecogold half pad (the Triple memory foam kind) how do you clean yours?

jen-s
Aug. 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Slightly off topic, but for those of you who have an Ecogold half pad (the Triple memory foam kind) how do you clean yours?

Not a clue! Haven't had to yet. But I'd love some tips...

patricia.dasilva
Aug. 12, 2011, 06:17 PM

You wash them in the washing machine with warm or cold water and a regular detergent. You can use a stain remover too if you wish - but make sure all the products are chlorine free.

Then hang to dry.

wildlifer
Aug. 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
I asked about foam longevity on the regular pads and was told to expect at the least 2-3 years (all pad materials breakdown over time and even if they LOOK fine, performance is likely not the same). I felt this was reasonable, especially after I have begun use and it already well outperforms my Ultra ThinLine on breathability and comfort for me and horse.

I do not know if longevity would be similar or increased or decreased with the triple foam in the half pads.

Carried Away
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
Just a small update since I received the pad and have used it a few times-

I LOVE IT!

No dry spots and my horse has been going quite well (even with having a few days off after a HT, he tends to come back to work a little wild!). I was a little concerned because the pad seems quite big and my saddle sat up a little higher than I was expecting, but once I sat in it I could tell that it fit better and he was more comfortable. Will try it with the dressage saddle that's a little too wide/needs flocking and report back.

Brigitte
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the update. I've been following this thread. It sounds like the pad would be a big help for my new boy also.

purplnurpl
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
I just went through the same issues with my horse.

I've had the an UTL for a decade. It's just the black rubber, contoured. I have 18" saddles and it fits under them all just fine.

but I recently upgraded to an Equinity Performance pad and it solved all my issues.

Equinity also sells 1/2 pads you can shim.

http://www.equinityperformance.com/

I will go check out the EG pads now. I've not been able to look them up just yet.

ace**
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:56 PM
I have one of the Ogilvy half pads the OP mentioned, and it worked really well for my sensitive TB and an old Crosby that didn't quite fit.

I have since bought a KenTaur that fits, so I went to a thinline pad since its not so bulky. Really like the Ogilvy for making the old saddle work in the interim.

Sonoma City
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
To those who have the Ecogold half pads, if you were using one pad for both jump and dressage saddles, which style would you get? I'd like to use it on both of my saddles but can't decide which would be more versatile. Both saddles are 18" so on the large side for the pad. Thanks!

Carried Away
Aug. 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
I have the standard H/J version and feel it is quite large. My saddles are 17" but there is plenty of room in front/back as well as down the sides of the half pad. Hope this helps!

Trak_Eventer
Aug. 26, 2011, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the Memory Foam Pad and the Stabilizer Half Pad?

Karosel
Aug. 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
To those who have the Ecogold half pads, if you were using one pad for both jump and dressage saddles, which style would you get? I'd like to use it on both of my saddles but can't decide which would be more versatile. Both saddles are 18" so on the large side for the pad. Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. Will the eventer style halfpad stick out too far farward from the front of my dressage saddle?
Or on the other hand, would the dressage style halfpad not be forward enough at the front for my close contact saddle?

wildlifer
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
Just a note on sizing -- when I got my regular EG pad (I got the jumper style), I ordered the XL as per the website instructions (my jump saddle is an 18" and my dressage saddle is a 17.5"). It was quite big, really too big for both saddles. I chatted with Ecogold and they made me a new smaller one because they are awesome. It fits perfectly. I would not get the XL/XC types unless you have an extremely forward flap on your saddle.

Sonoma City
Aug. 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Will the eventer style halfpad stick out too far farward from the front of my dressage saddle?
Or on the other hand, would the dressage style halfpad not be forward enough at the front for my close contact saddle?

I ended up ordering the dressage style since it has a longer spine so thought it might be more versatile. I will report back!

Karosel
Sep. 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
I ended up ordering the dressage style since it has a longer spine so thought it might be more versatile. I will report back!

I ordered the dressage style too. It's supposed to arrive today in the mail, so I will report back too! :winkgrin:

Lisa Cook
Sep. 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm a little late here, but I ordered the dressage style and it works fine with my jump saddle. :)

Sonoma City
Sep. 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
I ordered the dressage style too. It's supposed to arrive today in the mail, so I will report back too! :winkgrin:

I just got mine today too! :) The front of the pad is a bit more forward than it looks in the pictures, so seems like it will work fine w/ both saddles.

Karosel
Sep. 1, 2011, 09:16 PM
Well mine seems to fit my 17 inch close contact saddle just fine. It's a bit large for the close contact, but not too bad, it's definitely usable with a close contact. Tomorrow I'll try the halfpad under my dressage saddle. So far so good with the half pad :)

KateKat
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
bumping this thread bc my interest in this half pad is piqued. I currently have a Thinline Comfort pad (the one with sheepskin and the Thinline Ultra). While I LOVE it, I am always on the lookout for things to make sure my horse is as comfortable as possible since she is a hard fit (super huge wither, plus hollows on each side, and a curvy back)

So my questions on the pad are do you guys just use it over a normal saddle pad? Anyone put it over a sheepskin pad? Anyone use it directly on the horse's back?

If you've gotten the Triple Protection Pad (which is the one I'm considering) and you have a hard to fit horse, do you find that you need shims at all, or is there enough bulk on the pad to basically do the job of a shim as well? I only shim my current pad with one of the Thinline Ultra shims since she's slightly assymetrical.

Thanks!

FrittSkritt
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm interested as well. I have a Thinline Trifecta (non sheepskin rolls) with shims in it as my horse has hollows behind his withers, but after reading about the Ecogold memory pad, I'm reconsidering.

eventer_mi
Dec. 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
I don't have to shim my Ecogold pad for either my dressage saddle or my jumping saddle. It fills in the hollows by itself. With my UTL, I have to shim it.

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 16, 2011, 07:10 AM
So my questions on the pad are do you guys just use it over a normal saddle pad? Anyone put it over a sheepskin pad? Anyone use it directly on the horse's back?

I have this one (https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=111&osCsid=1iaqn8oumunm1hqr4dbigbqe15) and I use it over a baby pad.

deltawave
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Are these pads also non-slip?

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Mine isn't. It's a fuzzy, fleece-y underside.