PDA

View Full Version : Pop Rocks at event/testing?

OTTB FTW
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
Has anyone used Pop Rocks at a sanctioned event and been tested etc? Feeling paranoid...... ;)

faybe
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:59 AM
If it's just omeprazole I don't see why they would, but I haven't ever used them so can't speak from personal experience. Deltawave?

Eventer55
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'll be the first ignorant person to chime in...pop rocks as in the little candy things that pop in your mouth? Or is this code word for something else? What do you use them for?!?!

Omeprazoledirect sells generic omeprazole, it comes as tiny blue dots affectionately known as "blue pop rocks."

1/3 the price of ulcergard. . .:D

OTTB FTW
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure we tested them for anything other than Omeprazole and enteric coating effectiveness. Was just wondering if anyone had used them and been randomly tested at a sanctioned event. I have used Ulcerguard so far this year for preventative when at events.

wildlifer
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
Just a note -- was talking to vet Monday and he mentioned that these have been studied and found that the level of omeprazole is very inconsistent between batches. Some might have none at all, some might have a whole bunch. There doesn't seem to be enough QA/QC going on in manufacturing to assure a consistent amount in what you buy. So...I guess just buyer beware.

deltawave
Aug. 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have not used them on a horse in competition, but if I did I would simply ask the organizer/TD when I picked up my packet if I needed to declare this.

Would love to see any data on efficacy and quality control if anyone is privy to the actual studies or citations!

Some variation of drug amounts between batches of ANY product is allowable. Even the brand name stuff.

TLA
Aug. 10, 2011, 03:23 PM
I would contact the D&M people with your question - why take a chance. They are very helpful.
Email medequestrian@aol.com or Call 800-633-2472
Tom

OTTB FTW
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

breakthru
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm curious to know the "answer" if one is reached, so a request to post if you discover anything please :)

NMK
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
According to the USEF (yes I called) Omeprazole is a permitted substance under USEA rules. You do not have to file any medication reports. So, you're good to go.

Nancy

JP60
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
I have not used them on a horse in competition,...

This implies you've used this on your horses. Do you notice any results positive?

I have an older mare (22) and we had gone through a bout of ulcers before she retired. Now I wonder if she is more susceptible and would it be helpful to use something like this as a preventive. We still trailer around and do low pressure dressage shows and HP. Currently I supplement with alfalfa now and then as I read that can help reduce ulcers. She seems fine other then dealing with the God Aweful Heat we're having this summer.

deltawave
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, I have used it with good observed results. Many threads on this topic over in Horse Care. :) Basically Keebler gets crazy when he's on stall rest, which unfortunately he's had to do for long periods of time over the past year, and this product made a HUGE difference in his demeanor. Better than Ace, better than anything. I presume this is because he was suffering from ulcers--he was not scoped, but after surgery and a fairly stiff course of bute it's a decent assumption. ;)

I just brought a new horse home and he is as HIGH as a kite. He's getting some blue pop rocks as well, along with a major reduction in grain. :lol: My current MO is to give it to horses when they travel or have their lives disrupted, just one packet a day for several days. Not clinically proven, but I'm comfortable with this means of mitigating possible ulcer risk.

wildlifer
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
DW, I was not quick on my feet and did not get the study/author names, dangit! (Bad, science girl, bad!) I do worship my vet and get so caught up in his many treatise answers to my questions, I forget to ask for the details sometimes, d'oh.

He did say the variation was pretty huge, from 0-a whole lot. Which seems like the worst that could happen would be that your horse is getting nothing, which doesn't cause any further harm to the horse, so at least it's not like they will die from it or anything. And if you threw some money at it and the horse got better, then, hey, chances are you got a good batch and it worked, so yay, worth it!

I will see if I can poke around and find out more.