PDA

View Full Version : Stiffles and Hocks

eventingcpa
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:03 AM
How often do you inject one or both of a horses Stiffles and Hocks. I just had my horses Stiffles injected mid April and Hocks in Mid May and i think he is needing them again. He is 17 and hasn't been doing a lot of jumping so i'm kind of surprised. Competing at Training level.

magnolia73
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:27 AM
It depends on the horse. Have you tried additional support methods- supplements, more turn out, a move down in work load?

You do hear a lot of people injecting 3-4 times a year. IMO, that's pretty expensive and a good sign that retirement or an easier job is required.

wishnwell
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
Check out his SI joint. Has he been thoroughly examined by a Chiropractor at all?

purplnurpl
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:43 AM
[quote=magnolia73;5767922]It depends on the horse. Have you tried additional support methods- supplements. [quote]

yup. he should probably be on something other than just the joint injection.

I think every 3 months is quite a bit.
I am bothered when it needs to be done once a year.

beeblebrox
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
That is too close in my opinion. Even our school master ex upper level horses who carry the adults are done 2 times a year max. Any more than that the horse is telling me he need a lower level or a better diagnosis.

Maybe your horse needs to be worked up again. Stifles every three months is a lot. Also of course you should chat with your trainer(s) and vet about his job.

wishnwell
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:27 PM
I suggested looking into the SI joint only because in searching for answers to our OTTB, it appears that many times after hock/stifle injections and treatments with no real results, the SI has been ultimately proved to be the real problem. It certainly can't hurt. Just find a good chiropractor, ask around if you don't use one.

moonriverfarm
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
STIFLES, not stiffles ;)

VicariousRider
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:30 AM
yup. he should probably be on something other than just the joint injection.

I think every 3 months is quite a bit.
I am bothered when it needs to be done once a year.

I completely agree with this. You need to consult a vet to know if this is the best course of action for your specific horse (which you may have already done). Bear in mind that frequent joint injections can damage the joint itself by creating a trauma that "heals" and can lead to joint mobility issues. For that reason, you only want to inject on an as-needed basis.

For reference: Every six months is quite a lot, IMO. I would explore legend, adequan, high-quality oral supplements, alternative therapies (like massage and chiropractic work) as well. You may already have explored these options. If a horse cannot stay sound for the work that they are being asked to do without joint injections every 3 months then I think it's really time to consider whether a step down or retirement is on the horizon. Of course, that is my opinion and you should get feedback from the pros who know and work with your horse.

Hilary
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thirding the SI look. My mare looked hocky and stifle-y and it was her SI. She needed a new chiropractor and a back on track sheet.

Also for an older horse you might try Legend - that works on all whole body.