PDA

View Full Version : Sales Flyer - What Info To Include?

copperdolly
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:07 PM
I need help from all you COTH'ers! I'm selling my first horse (training eventer) and need to get some flyers done up. What info is a MUST, what is nice to see, and what to leave off? Obviously I need to only include critical info as no one will stand around reading a novel of a sales flyer.

What picture - cross country, dressage, stadium, or all 3?

I assume age, breed, gender, horse's level of competition.

What else??

Thanks in advance :)

*Trinity*
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:31 PM
I think it's important to focus your horse in a 'category.' Is he an amateur ride or very enthusiastic/quirky? Is he upper level potential or a great packer that's topped out at training? Ads that use generic phrases don't catch my attention and I usually ignore them. If you can't say anything better than, "great jumper" or "good dressage work," nobody is going to be inclined to call. Use specifics, such as "bold on XC," "careful with excellent form," "schooling Level __ dressage," etc.

If your ad isn't already a novel, it's nice to see impressive results if your horse has any RECENT ones. I find it deceptive if people post results from 2 years ago and then I find out the horse has recently been dumping his rider at shows.

I like to see a flatwork photo and an o/f photo on ads. Don't use something artistic, use a side view that shows the style, outline, and use of body. I always ask for a conformation photo prior to seeing a horse in person, so have one ready to email.

Meredith Clark
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
I HATE when people put a head shot on ads. I've never purchased a horse based on its head :lol:

Other than that use pictures of attractive jumps (not a 3ft pole in open air) and a flat work picture that isn't way far away.

FLeckenAwesome
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:59 PM
Here's what I want to know...

Age, size, level competing, potential level, any bad habits, breed, gender, and any health issues.

I agree.. confo shot, good jump shot, and good flat shot. Not blurry or dirty or too far away to see anything...

Good luck :)

scubed
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:05 PM
Age, gender, size, registered show name (USEA, USEF, USDF, whatever), JC name if a JC TB. Current level of training, temperament, specifics of the type of ride and the rider, current level and future level the horse is suitable for.

Conformation shot, over fence shot (flat work photos don't do a lot for me). Contact information. Price or price range is nice. I don't like calling on 24 horses all totally out of my budget.

Ground manners, any stables vices, training issues, health or soundness issues (don't have to go into detail, can just mention that something exists and ask people to call for more information)

If horse has been out of work, brief explanation of why.

2ndyrgal
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:01 PM
Age, sex, at what level he performs or competes, and most importantly

Price and location. In a prominent location. Because that's the first two things I want to know.

Skip the head shot, and don't take a picture of horse jumping a single fence that is far higher than he is currently schooling or competing over, if he can't do an entire course of those, then I don't want to see the one and only time he did jump it.

IronwoodFarm
Aug. 10, 2011, 05:47 AM
The purpose of the flyer is to get people to contact you about the sales horse.

A photo of the horse jumping at its level is fine. If you have a website where there are more photos or better yet, video clips, list those links.

Agree with 2ndyrgal that I would keep the flyer information short and to the point. I do think price information is important. No use wasting anyone's time if the price is a barrier.

You can get much more descriptive when an prospective buyer contacts you by email or phone. And yes, put every possible point of contact in that flyer -- website, email, phone, etc.

yellowbritches
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:04 AM
A flyer should be short and sweet. Pertinent info to get people to call or go to a website. Some good pics (at least one jumping, preferably at or the level it is being marketed at), basic info (please don't forget age and height!), and a short and sweet write up describing its level, potential, and suitability. A quick note of its personality, but don't go too much into its pluses and minuses. Contact info, price, etc. Your pics should take center stage, write up should not be so long it needs to be in 10 font to fit on one page!