PDA

View Full Version : New person - introducing myself

enthusiasm_exceeds_ability
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

This is my first venture onto this board, though I have been lurking for some time. I've been reading and discovering that there's so much I want to comment on and questions I want to task that I thought I should register and dip my toe in. Mods, please move this if its in the wrong place, but my primary focus right now is dressage, so I thought this might be the place to start.

I've recently bought, in the last three months, my first horse. He's an OTTB who was grabbed fropm the sales where he'd been sent for dog-meat. My friend saw him, liked his head and his attitude (terrified but trying very very hard to please) and, despite his being dead lame, took a chance. He was lame from an over-reach injury which hadn't been treated, and he looked like he'd been through a fence, with a massive haemotoma on his chest. He was also terrified of being around people, so he had probably had a few other nasty experiences.

He came good, was very quiet, but spooky, and he was offered to me as a possible dressage prospect/ low-level eventer. Since we bought him, he's managed to scare me to death (BIG spooks on an athletic horse and enormous canter transitions) but recently we've turned a corner and I'm beginning to understand how he goes. Of course, he's also changed from an anxious green horse who is desparate to please, and who panics when he makes a mistake due to incompetent riding (that would be me), to a fairly cynical schoolmaster who's capable of of moments of brilliance but only when the incompetent rider (me) rides him exactly right. :D

We've also established that he's probably capable of being a low-level eventer, but really he'll do it only to be polite, and is quite happy in the secure confines of the arena where the sabre-tooth tiger only emerges when he's done enough work or is getting bored and where spooks enliven his day.

So that's me. A rider with a lovely horse, who's enthusiasm exceeds her ability, who is working hard to live up to the potential of a really lovely horse, who's also found a forever home. He's cheated a nasty death once - I'll not let it happen again.

esdressage
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:18 PM
Welcome! I think your post should be absolutely welcome on this board. Of course I'm terribly curious to see photos of your horse after that intruiging introduction :)

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:45 PM
Since we bought him, he's managed to scare me to death (BIG spooks on an athletic horse and enormous canter transitions) but recently we've turned a corner and I'm beginning to understand how he goes. Of course, he's also changed from an anxious green horse who is desperate to please, and who panics when he makes a mistake due to incompetent riding (that would be me), to a fairly cynical schoolmaster who's capable of of moments of brilliance but only when the incompetent rider (me) rides him exactly right. :D

Sounds like you found a thoroughbred :winkgrin:
Welcome!
Now, you do know you have to include pictures... right?

handfish
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:51 PM
:-) Your user name :-)

Aug. 9, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have a photo of Obie in my profile - one of his head, and I'm adding another of a recent lesson (July 14) where things actually began coming together. Can't add any as attachments unfortunately. :cry:

Fail. I am obviously technologically inept. But this link might work?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HBP-Equestrian/170986739626586?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=192431450815448&set=pu.170986739626586&type=1&theater

alterhorse
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:02 PM
Cute horse!

Welcome to coth! :)

netg
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:21 AM
Welcome! I love your username and your horse! Do you know his breeding at all? I figure I'm unlikely to know Australian bloodlines, but am curious anyway.

Antaeus
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome! I love your username and your horse!...

Me, too. Thanks for giving this boy a forever home.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
Welcome :D
I can relate to both your username & to your (very handsome!) horse.
I am in the same situation as you, but geographically in reverse ;)

My current horse originally came from Queensland where he was doing Grand Prix Jumpers. He was sold to someone in FL who - in the space of 4 years - turned him into toast :no:

The gal (another COTHer) who found him underweight & lame in a sale barn brought him back to health - both physical & mental - then listed him as a Giveaway here.
Where I was lucky to find him just after losing both my horses to a trailering accident.

He now has a Forever Home on my little farmette where he is teaching me
just how much talent he had before his unlucky streak.
This horse has dressage gears I didn't know about, and is also educating me on just how much difference there is between riding Hunters & Jumpers :cool:

Holly Jeanne
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:45 PM
Love your username, your story, and your horse! :lol:

Aug. 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
netg, he's out of Goodness (NZ) by Carnegie (IRE), and was imported to Australia from NZ as a 4 year old in 2003. He was faily successful (in that he actually won some money) but ended up injured. It makes me furious to think of how many other horses end up injured or retired for not being quick enough and wasted when they could have such happy homes and productive careers. Especially when so much money is spent shipping them around the place.

2DogsFarm, nice to hear about an Aussie horse doing well. Obviously I am biased, but I do believe that we produce the best horses in the world ;). I think I might have to make a trip over to meet him.

Antaeus, I think I'm the lucky one in the relationship. He really wasn't the sort of horse I wanted and I was, in fact, planning on getting myself a Waler to have fun with. That's a plan now delayed for some years :( but it does mean that a friend of mine can breed me exactly the horse I want when Obie wants to kick back in the paddock and chill. Meanwhile, I'm learning as much as I can!

And thank you everyone for the welcome. I feel like I've made a whole lot of new friends! :)

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
Welcome! Love your story and your horse has a lovely TB head. Ive got one of those special OTTBs too (hence the user name) but she really is a one in a million horse and is solid and trustworthy as the day is long. I also have a 4 y/o Oldenburg gelding, Rex AKA Sexy Rexy, that I post updates with on here. Right now, hes mending a broken splint so no recent pics but there are plunty in the archives.

Cant wait to see more pics!

netg
Aug. 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
Oooh, I like his breeding that I know!

My OTTB is one of those special ones with far more talent than I have. Every time I improve, he does because it allows him to!

And I'm so sorry to hear about Rex! I hope he's recovered and back in action soon! He's definitely one of my favorite board young horses. :)

2DogsFarm
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:48 PM
2DogsFarm, nice to hear about an Aussie horse doing well. Obviously I am biased, but I do believe that we produce the best horses in the world ;). I think I might have to make a trip over to meet him.

Sam is my intro to the Australian Warmblood and he is something!
He was bred by Bev Edwards of Jaybee Farms. His sire is their Aachimedes stallion. Sam is the picture of his dam: Lawes Dublin.
Anytime you are in the Midwest US, you are welcome to visit us.
:yes:

Polydor
Aug. 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Welcome fellow Aussie! :D

I'm down in SA at a TB farm so I was going to ask you about his breeding since I couldn't see his brands. I always hope our horses don't end up going the lower end sale route. :(

Sounds like a fun horse and he's cute!

P.

Aug. 11, 2011, 06:04 PM
Polydor, I'm thinking about heading to Adelaide for the 3DE in November - maybe we could sort out a COTH meet-up there!

The sale route is one I hate because it seems like so many lovely lovely horses end up going there, but unfortunately it's one of the side-effects of the TB industry. Mind you, have you seen the latest copy of The Horse magazine? Interesting article there about the role of TBs in Australian eventing at least.

Polydor
Aug. 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
Would LOVE to put together a COTH meet up at Adelaide 4* in november! I usually make it down to cross country day.

Haven't seen The Horse mag this month since I have been in Canada but will see if i can find it when I get back in a couple weeks.

P.

TKR
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:12 PM
God bless you for taking a chance on that very worthy and beautiful Thoroughbred - also very lucky -- and making that committment to him. He is a beauty and I hope you do very well with him. Nice to have you join us!
PennyG