PDA

View Full Version : BN Dressage Attire

EventerForever77
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:10 PM
So I'm going to a pony club HT at the end of August (DRPC). What is appropriate attire for dressage for BN? I know it has to be respectful to the judge and such. Clean tack, white saddle pad and well groomed horse are a must have. But what about the rider? Is a nice white polo(tucked in), tan breeches with belt, and cleaned boots with half chaps fine? I don't want to wear the wrong thing, but am not terribly eager to buy a jacket and such at this point as I might grow out of it in two months.

Thanks.

scubed
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:18 PM
If it is this (http://drpc.ponyclub.org/horsetrials.html)event, then it is a recognized event. Since the BN is contested entirely over one day, these are the rules for attire:

At Eventing Tests or when all three phases of a Horse Trials are contested over one day
- Protective headgear and protective vests as above. Clothing as appropriate for the test in progress (see below), or at the competitor’s option - boots, britches, spurs and gloves - as applicable for the test being performed. Long or short sleeved shirt with collar and without neckwear, of a conservative color, neatly tucked into riding breeches

and

a. Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—protective headgear—predominantly black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted;
Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps and/or half-chaps are not allowed

So, you do not need to wear a jacket and a white polo is fine, but you cannot wear paddock boots and half chaps unless the half chaps are the type that look like a leather boot (no suede, elastic, etc).

EventerForever77
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!!

Beam Me Up
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:26 PM
OOPS, beaten to it, but if you want the long version of the rules . . .

Rulebook is here:
http://useventing.com/resources/files/docs/2011_USEF_Rules_for_Eventing_web.pdf
page 30-31

Basically, you are ok without the coat because all 3 phases are on the same day at DRPC BN (I think! If not you would need a coat). Regular half chaps are not legal, only the smooth kind that basically look like tall boots with matching paddock boots.

EV114 Dress.
1. PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.
a. At all levels of eventing competition, from beginner novice through advanced, at Federation Endorsed competitions and recognized competitions, riders must wear headgear as follows, except as may otherwise be mandated by local law (see also GR801):
b. Upon arrival, anyone riding a horse must wear properly fitting protective headgear which passes or surpasses ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)/SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag. Harness must be secured and properly fitted. BOD 1/23/11 Effective immediately
c. It is the responsibility of the rider, or the parent or guardian or trainer of the junior exhibitor to see to it that the headgear worn complies with appropriate safety standards for protective headgear intended for equestrian use, and is properly fitted and in good condition, and the Federation, Show Committee, and Licensed Officials are not responsible for checking headgear worn for such compliance.
d. The Federation makes no representation or warranty, express or implied, about any protective headgear, and cautions riders that death or serious injury may result despite wearing such headgear as all equestrian sports involve inherent dangerous risk and as no helmet can protect against all foreseeable injuries.
e. Violation of this rule at any time, at the discretion of the Ground Jury, shall be penalized and may result in elimination.
2. PROTECTIVE VESTS.
a. A body protecting vest must be worn warming-up for and in the cross-country test. Stable, team or club colors are permitted. The Federation recommends that the vest should pass or surpass the current ASTM standard F1937 or be certified by the Safety Equipment Institute. Inflatable vests are permitted only when worn over a body protecting vest.
b. Violation of this rule shall be penalized at the discretion of the Ground Jury, and may result in elimination.
3. WHIPS. One whip no longer than 120 cm (47.2 in) including lash may be carried when riding on the flat at any time. One whip no longer than 120 cm (47.2 in) may be carried during the Dressage Test except in USEF/USEA Championships and USEA Championship divisions. As an exception, riders competing sidesaddle may carry a whip in the dressage test at all competitions, including championships. A standard lunge whip may be used when lunging a horse. If a whip is carried in the Cross-Country and/or Jumping Test, or while
jumping any obstacle before these tests, it must not be weighted at the end or exceed 75cm (30”) in length. An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a mounted rider.
4. SPURS. Spurs may be worn at any time. Spurs are required in the dressage test at the Intermediate and Advanced levels. Spurs capable of wounding a horse are forbidden. Spurs must be of smooth metal. If there is a shank it must not be longer than 3.5 cm (1 3/8 inches) and must point only towards the rear. Rowels are not permitted except as in 5(c) (below). If the shank is curved, the spurs must be worn only with the shank directed downwards. “Dummy spurs” with no shank and swan neck spurs are allowed. Metal or plastic spurs with
round hard plastic or metal knobs are allowed (“Impuls” spur).
5. DRESSAGE TEST.
a. Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—protective headgear—predominantly black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted; Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps and/or half-chaps are not allowed.
b. Horse Trials (Intermediate and Advanced) & Three Day Events. As above except no tweed coat. Tail Coats permitted. Shirt—stock with pin; Gloves (required)—white or dark color; Britches—as above; Boots—preferably black dress or a black full grain leather leg piece and matching leather boot. Chaps and half-chaps are not allowed. Members of armed and police forces, service dress with gloves, regulation headgear and spurs in accordance with EV114. BOD 1/23/11 Effective immediately
c. Beginner Novice - Preliminary, spurs are not compulsory. Spurs are required at
Intermediate and Advanced Horse Trials, and Intermediate and Advanced Three-Day Events. Roweled spurs are permitted for the Dressage test (at all levels) and when practicing/warming-up for the Dressage test. If rowels are used, they must be free to rotate and the rowel must be round and smooth (no tines allowed).
6. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST. Light-weight clothing is appropriate for this Test, a shirt (any color) with sleeves must be worn. Protective Headgear in accordance with paragraph 1 above. This headgear may be any color. Britches or jodhpurs may be any color; Gloves (if worn) may be any color; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps or half-chaps are not allowed.
7. JUMPING TEST. Hunting dress or uniform. Protective headgear, with chin harness, designed expressly for equestrian use in accordance with paragraph 1 above. Hat covers other than solid black or dark blue are not allowed. Coat—dark color or tweed (if Novice through prelim.) Shirt—stock with pin, choker or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps or half-chaps are not allowed. Member of armed and police forces, as in EV114.5.b.
8. At Eventing Tests or when all three phases of a Horse Trials are contested over one day - Protective headgear and protective vests as above. Clothing as appropriate for the test in progress (see below), or at the competitor’s option - boots, britches, spurs and gloves - as applicable for the test being performed. Long or short sleeved shirt with collar and without neckwear, of a conservative color, neatly tucked into riding breeches.
9. INSPECTION OF DRESS. A steward should be appointed to inspect whips and spurs before any Test. He has the authority to refuse permission for any competitor to start whose whip or spurs contravene this Article. He will immediately report the circumstances to the Ground Jury, or Technical Delegate if the Ground Jury is unavailable, for confirmation. A competitor who competes with illegal whip(s) or spurs will be eliminated. A competitor who competes with incorrect items of dress may be eliminated, at the discretion of the Ground Jury.
10. EXTREME WEATHER. At temperatures above 85ÅãF, a heat index above 85Åã, or at the discretion of the Ground Jury or the Organizer, competitors will be permitted to compete without jackets, in the dressage and/or jumping tests. In such cases, competitors must wear either a long or short sleeved shirt of conservative color without neckwear; members of the armed forces and police units may ride in their summer uniforms. In inclement weather competitors may wear a windbreaker jacket or rain coat over their clothing; their number
must be visible.

IronwoodFarm
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:37 PM
Simply because a pony club is the sponsoring organization for a recognized HT does not mean ANY of the Rules for Eventing are waived. Recognized is recognized, period. It would be wise to download a free copy of the 2011 Rules for Eventing so that you have an idea what to expect. http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=rulebook

DRPC is well established and fun HT. I'll be there with my boy. I hope you have a good time there, too.

deltawave
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:58 PM
There is no rule that says one must use a white saddle pad! Or if there is, I have been violating it regularly for 10 years. :lol:

OTTB FTW
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
There is no rule that says one must use a white saddle pad! Or if there is, I have been violating it regularly for 10 years. :lol:

:lol:

quietann
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:07 AM

True. It's sort of like jacket colors, though; you don't want to bend tradition *too* much. I've seen white, black, dark navy blue, grey, and cream (not yellow, and not tan) used... nothing bright or really eye-catching.

My show pad is white, but trimmed with royal blue and baby blue cording on the edges. If I ever fulfill my dream of finding the perfect brown dressage saddle for the mare, we'll switch to a cream pad.

Meredith Clark
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
I wear white pants for Rec. horse trials (the one I've been to so I'm obviously an expert :lol: ) and tan for unrec.

spinandslide
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
May I ask a question?

Last time I competed at a horse trial, it was in 1998..back when it was the USCTA..:)

Was the rule about being allowed to not compete in a jacket in effect then? I am simply curious, as we ALWAYS wore jackets..even at the small BN trials...I dont know if it was a rule then or if my coach hammered to much tradition into me. ;)

deltawave
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
you don't want to bend tradition *too* much

Phooey. :) I wear a gold paisley Ascot instead of a stock tie. Some traditions are too silly not to violate. :D

And any woman wearing white breeches is "violating tradition", too, so I don't feel as though I'm leading the list of "dressage fashion don'ts" if there are sticklers out there keeping score. :) :) :)

Was the rule about being allowed to not compete in a jacket in effect then?

This is a new RULE, but there has always been the option for jackets to be waived by officials for extreme heat.

tle
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
Phooey. :) I wear a gold paisley Ascot instead of a stock tie. Some traditions are too silly not to violate. :D

DW... you crack me up.

Everything's already been posted that I would have said. But along these same lines, WWYD if you were going to an unrecognized local event... everything held on 1 day. Last time I went, I was riding 2 horses and followed the rules by wearing tan breeches and a washed blue polo. The judge actually stopped me after my first dressage test and mentioned my lack of coat. I quoted the new rules back to him and was actually told that I really should have a coat on anyway since it wasn't hot. I smiled, said I would do that but I didn't even bring one with me since I was otherwise following the rules. I shoudl probably suck it up and wear one this year because of that, right? There's a HUGE part of me that doesn't want to though!! WWYD?

deltawave
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
WWID? I'd carry on according to the rules and roll my eyes at the ill-informed officials. I cannot understand why people (not you, Tammy) are so afraid of violating rules that DO NOT EXIST.

There is a time and a place for sucking it up and "conforming", but when one is ENTIRELY within the rules? No, never. :)

Janet
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Last time I competed at a horse trial, it was in 1998..back when it was the USCTA..:)

Was the rule about being allowed to not compete in a jacket in effect then? It is a relatively recent rule change (since 2007)

Janet
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
There was a relatively recent thread in which both a Licensed official and (IIRC) a member of the BoG said effectively
"If an official tries to tell you that you have to wear a jacket, please write it up (Event Evaluation and Officials evaluation) and let the PTB know"
This wasn't a recognized event, so you don't have an event evaluation. But if it was a licensed judge, you can (I think) still do an Officials evaluation.

DW... you crack me up.

Everything's already been posted that I would have said. But along these same lines, WWYD if you were going to an unrecognized local event... everything held on 1 day. Last time I went, I was riding 2 horses and followed the rules by wearing tan breeches and a washed blue polo. The judge actually stopped me after my first dressage test and mentioned my lack of coat. I quoted the new rules back to him and was actually told that I really should have a coat on anyway since it wasn't hot. I smiled, said I would do that but I didn't even bring one with me since I was otherwise following the rules. I shoudl probably suck it up and wear one this year because of that, right? There's a HUGE part of me that doesn't want to though!! WWYD?

spinandslide
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:06 PM
It is a relatively recent rule change (since 2007)

thanks Janet. I knew officials had the option to waive jackets, due to heat (or cold..I remember they did one event, where they waived jackets so we could wear REAL jackets!)..but didnt know about this rule about not having to wear jackets, in the above described situations.

Janet
Aug. 10, 2011, 03:51 PM
thanks Janet. I knew officials had the option to waive jackets, due to heat (or cold..I remember they did one event, where they waived jackets so we could wear REAL jackets!)..but didnt know about this rule about not having to wear jackets, in the above described situations.

It originated from the practice, now common in Area II, of scheduling your cross country time 30 minutes after your show jumping time, and having you do show jumping in your cross country attire.

They had to make a rule change in order to make what-was-already-happening legal, and while they were at it, they included Dressage.

Again, only when you ride all three phases in the same day.

besum1
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:14 PM
it def makes sense to allow you to wear a polo at 1 day HT- especially if you're riding more than one horse and going from Dressage to XC in just a matter of minutes on another horse!

I'd still wear my jacket (weather permitting) if I had time to change- but Eventerforever77 I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to buy a jacket! It's nice when you stop growing (up or out! haha) :)

Though if you go to a recognized HT not held on one day be prepared to either beg borrow or steal a coat from someone- but until then you'll be fine in your polo (and probably cooler until fall weather sets in!)

spinandslide
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:36 PM
It originated from the practice, now common in Area II, of scheduling your cross country time 30 minutes after your show jumping time, and having you do show jumping in your cross country attire.

They had to make a rule change in order to make what-was-already-happening legal, and while they were at it, they included Dressage.

Again, only when you ride all three phases in the same day.

Interesting..

Granted, its been over 10 years, but I cant remember ever attending an event where this happened..interesting how times and practices change..

It was a hassle at times to get out of cross country gear and back into the jacket for SJ..

Why I liked the events, like Flora Lea, that ran cross country after SJ. :)