PDA

View Full Version : Reins w/ Closer Spaced Handstops

ytr45
Aug. 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
Has anyone come across reins with handstops that are spaced closer than the usual 6 inches or so? Or any clever ideas how to make your own handstops between the standard ones? thanks.

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 9, 2011, 08:47 AM
I actually bought some Nunn Finer Pony Length reins this past weekend from Mobile Horse Supply, (http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/mhs%20home.htm) and the stops are closer than usual. They might have been her last pair, but maybe not!

jvk8
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:19 AM
I found some Courbette reins with the stops quite a bit closer together than "normal".

When I was shopping I found it hard to tell from on line (web site) photos if the stops were close or not. So I made the rounds of the tack shops until I found some.

Good luck!

Twigster
Aug. 9, 2011, 01:30 PM
I just saw some Passier bridles at the tack store that hand stops that were about half that distance apart (twice the usual stops on the reins). Don't know if that is the usual or just a fluke...

ArabDiva
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:44 PM
if you find some, let me know. i would love to find some 2" or 3" stops. i might just go back to laced reins if I can't find anything.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
I tied a knot in mine at a particular spot as a reference point. No one has ever noticed. ;-)

ytr45
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:04 AM
I checked out the Courbette and Passier reins - those are exactly what I need. But payng $70 or $80 for web reins - just to get the handstops....hmmm.....

There must be creative ways to do it. I've tried vetrap, velcro straps, rubber keepers, etc, but they all tend to slide. I think duct tape handstops might slide too.

Ideas?

Lusoluv
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe take your reins to a local shoe repair guy and see if he can't figure something out? They do clever repair work on rounded/odd leather surfaces all the time (shoes) so they could probably make little leather tabs and stitch them to your reins....no?

jvk8
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Lumps of duct tape might work. That stuff is seriously sticky.

Cowgirl
Aug. 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
I buy plain reins and have my saddle maker put them on the width of my hand and I have extra stops put on. OR, I have Jerry's Harness custom make them for me to my specification.

Pay the extra $ to do this. It is worth it.

BigBayBoy
Aug. 14, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've had my leather repair guy put in extra stops where I needed them. I only needed one for each side, so it was fairly easy and inexpensive.

No one ever noticed that the "new" ones were any different than the original ones. ;)