PDA

View Full Version : Brenderup Floor repair...

GEngland
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:04 AM
Has anyone repaired or replaced their Brenderup flooring? I have a Baron 1995 and finally need to replace the floors, looking for an alternative to the manufactures.... Ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

LarkspurCO
Aug. 9, 2011, 01:49 AM
Some type of high-grade marine plywood, custom cut to fit.

Try this Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenderup-Trailer-Owners-of-America/188465777858611?sk=wall

HoofaSchmigetty
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:46 PM
Replacing the floor in a Brenderup? Why? There disposable trailers!!! Use 'em and toss 'em

Alagirl
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
Replacing the floor in a Brenderup? Why? There disposable trailers!!! Use 'em and toss 'em

I'll send you the bill...:lol:

My dad has replaced the floor on one or two like trailers. I think it was basically 2 inch planks that when in. Not complicated, but you had to measure precisely and fiddle the boards under the walls.

but thick plywood does sound good, too.

deltawave
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Disposable? Hardly! Darn things last for-freaking-EVER. :)

I would go with the treated/marine plywood idea.

danceronice
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:18 PM

LOL, either you're kidding or you've never used one. (Or priced one. Even used--they're staggeringly expensive compared to the steel crap because those of us with them almost never sell them!)

I was going to say...you have to replace something besides the tires on a Brenderup? What have you been DOING to it? (Admittedly, Dad put drain holes in ours, it didn't come that way, so possibly water does eventually damage the floor if you don't.)

Marine plywood is probably the best bet?

Beau's mom
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
I just sold my 1985 Prestige. Had it for 6 years. Had the floor replaced in 2006 by Taylor Boyz in Warrenton. Had the composite floor sent up from the manufacturers in Midland, Texas. Alas, they are no longer in business. The older trailers, like mine are made of marine grade plywood over aluminum, topped w/ fiberglass roofs. So if I were going to replace the floor again, I would consult Taylor Boyz and probably go w/ marine grade plywood. It is a great trailer by the way!

swmets
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:51 PM
I am currently having the floor replaced in my 1993 Baron by Traveled Lane Trailers in Maryland. As Brenderups are no longer being made in the US, the stock floors have to be shipped in from Europe. I was able to find a dealer in Colorado who was closing his business and had one left--otherwise I would have had to wait until September or later for the overseas shipment. It's being shipped at the moment.

I've heard of people replacing the floors with non-Brenderup materials. And I've read posts from people who have done the work themselves and will provide instructions. However, I'd be wary of doing so. The original/replacement floors are one piece, which is why they're so expensive. But it also means there are no seams where it can rot. And they're also coated on both sides. Nearly 20 years is pretty darn amazing for a floor life!

When I was looking at the options, I decided that because the floor is probably the most important part of the trailer, I was going to spend the money and have it done with original manufacturer parts by a company that has worked on them for about 20 years. Not going to mess around with anything less.

Good luck with your project. These trailers are definitely worth it! LOVE mine.

OTTBs
Aug. 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
Wow, an '85 and a '95 B'up just having the floor replaced for the first time?! I'm supposed to get the floor in my 2001 model-bought in 2000- replaced next month and the dealer said THAT was a good lifespan. She said they've replaced floors that were 5-6 years old; also said that due to the size of the slots the floor goes into, that it would be hard to put in a non-Brenderup floor.
I'll stick with a new B'up floor if I can get one, good to know it might work out if I have to try something else...

JeanM
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:26 PM
My '99 Baron is showing signs of my neglect :o because I have not been good about at least rolling up the floor mats. I did manage to find a source -- one of B-up's former dealers -- who apparently has a connection w/ B-up to get floor kits shipped over from Denmark. I am seriously hoping this all works out so I can have the floor replaced over this winter.... :yes::confused:

baysngreys
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
Clean out your trailer after use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Baron TC is 11 years old. After any ride longer than about 3 hours I remove any shavings, pull out the mats, rinse the floor and make sure the drain holes are open.

Worst trailer story I ever heard, the horses foot went thru the rotted floor while driving on the highway.

Urine and flooring don't mix. Rinse out the trailer!

JeanM
Aug. 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
Yup, but after you've cleaned it out (and mine has never had a horse urinate in it :cool: my trips have been under 2 hours), if you're not going to use the trailer in the next few days, fer' heaven's sake, at least roll up the front & back of your mats. Lesson duly learned, too late. :no::yes: