PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Advice

paintmare
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:38 PM
I have two horses that I'm planning on doing some "fun" races on this October. One is a Paint mare, she will be doing the stock horse sprint which is a 1/3 mile, and the other is a TB mare and the race is a 2 1/4.

Both horses are in riding shape, Paint mare is a dressage horse, and the TB does the puddle jumpers. So they're not just coming out of a stall or anything. In addition to being ridden they get turnout either all night or most the day.

What would be some good additional work to prepare them for the races? I only raced my Paint last year. I just added some longer canter sets to our regular conditioning routine as she was eventing last year so was in better shape, but her race isn't that long anyways. I'm more concerned about my TB mare - she can do about a mile at a medium paced gallop. I don't have anywhere I can let them full out gallop, just a controlled gallop as the area isn't large enough nor do I trust the footing.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Laurierace
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:44 PM
If you don't have a safe surface to prepare the TB on properly it is not wise to race her. Bad steps get much more likely when a horse is pushed past their fitness level significantly. Not to mention bleeding. She needs to be able to go at least 3/4 top speed easily for the distance you want to race her.
Your plan for the other horse sounds ok.

paintmare
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
Most the horses are eventers, fox hunters, and pony club horses so they are used to less than ideal circumstances. I'm sure very few people who enter the non-sanctioned races have perfect footing to get their horses ready on. It's just a fun day at the races type thing.

http://www.geneseevalleyhunt.org/Race%20web_files/2010_PrintableConditions_Entry_Waiver.pdf

That's the race list, all the races are on uneven grass field, it's not a prepared turf track or anything.