PDA

View Full Version : Hitching post or rail on concrete?

JoZ
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
Our barn -- converted dairy -- has more concrete than you could imagine. There is a huge area out back of the barn and I do mean huge: we have gravel and hogfuel on a lot of it for a turnout, then there is another wide apron that narrows down to become a pathway to the pastures. Before I had a tractor, flooding brought lots of dirt, grass and weeds to cover the apron and path but now it is CLEAR (woo hoo).

Where it is wide at the top of the lane, I'd like to have a bathing area but I'm stumped for something to tie the horses to. Now I kind of expect our horses to ground tie or something close to it but I wouldn't want to remove the lead rope or have it over the horse's back while bathing. My point is that I probably would never tie fast nor expect the post to stand up to a 1000-lb animal in full retreat. But on the other hand I don't want it to tip over with a light tug.

Any ideas how to put in a post or rail on concrete? Preferably without jackhammering but if that is the only way I'll consider it... AND check with the landlord!

tangledweb
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
Jack hammering is probably not the right answer. With the right bolts you can attach anything to good concrete. If it is a thin slab without rebar jackhammering might be the answer, but trying to drill a deep bolt hole would be the easiest way to find out.

CosMonster
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
There are posts that just bolt onto concrete so you only have to drill bolt holes. I don't know how secure they are, though. I've seen ones not made for horses at the local hardware store, don't know if they make a product like that with horses in mind. I also know they make prefab stalls that bolt onto concrete, so maybe look into companies that do that?

hosspuller
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:56 AM
Did this very sort of thing many times in industry...Cutting a hole in the concrete is the most secure way of setting a post. It can be done with a core drill. Nice round hole what ever diameter you wish... You'll have to contact a contractor that specializes in concrete cutting.

Without cutting a hole in the concrete... your options are limited. The post/s will have to have a wide metal base to anchor to the concrete. The wider and thicker the base, the more secure the fastening will be. I would recommend that you drill all your anchor holes all the way through the concrete. Then use Wedge type bolt anchors. Then if you ever wish to remove the posts, simply unbolt the post anchors and drive the anchors flush with the surface. (this is also good for replacing anchors that get damaged from rust or impact. Just drive a new anchor right on top of the old. The old anchor goes into the dirt and the new anchor is ready to use in its place.)

Rabtfarm
Aug. 11, 2011, 07:53 AM
As a builder it really is not as daunting as it seems to put a couple of holes in concrete. Many farm owners/horse folks consider concrete as totally unchangeable(set in crete!) but often it can be removed, drilled, etc without dynamite or a jackhammer. If you can stand to drill post anchors, then you really need only drill about a half dozen more and you will have a hole for a post. Rental stores/big box stores also rent out hammer drills that will drill through the concrete pad pretty quickly and are affordable. It's up to you whether to set the new posts in concrete again; I would not as I have seen what a horse can do to a wood post despite the breakway buckles and USPC twine...easier to set the post in some packing sand for easy replacement later.
Just make sure your hole(s) are big enough to get a post hole digger in there.

Might consider 6x6 posts for a bit more longevity...