PDA

View Full Version : Questions about BP, 3H slant load

Black Points
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:34 PM
I'm looking to get a new 3H, slant load BP trailer. I'm hoping that someone out there can advise as to what size axels to get, 5000# or 7000#. I've seen different specs for different trailer manufacturers.

Also, if only carrying 2 horses, is it better to have them in the front 2 stalls or the rear 2 stalls and why. And will the ride be smoother farther away from the trailer axel or on top of the axel?

I'm also trying to decide if I should get a 54" offset and 42 inch stalls in a 7 ft wide trailer or should I go to a 7'6" wide trailer. My horses are all 16.0 H and smaller. I have a 2H, BP, 7 ft wide trailer now with 39 inch stalls and a 48 inch offset which is a bit tight.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

Mary in Area 1
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
Please don't do it! A 3 horse BP is just too big a trailer to safely pull as a tag-along. It will pull you sideways down hills, sway and cause you immeasurable grief--no matter what the salesman tells you.

2 horse BP's are bad enough, but slant or straight, the weight of that thing will be dangerous to control.

EventingJ
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:16 AM
Hi Mary,

our current trailer is a 3H Silver Star trailer (its been in your driveway a few times now for schooling xc!). I find it no different to pull than our old steel 2 horse bp, other than when there are 3 horses and fully loaded with tack the truck is working to climb the hills around here ;) I've driven it from Wayne county to Great Vista with zero problems - i have a 2500 silverado. I've never noticed it pulling me anywhere, even with wind. When I'm trailering my mare solo I prefer to stick her in the middle stall, she seems to like that stall best (its her official place when there are three horses) or the end stall, which we took the last divider out for more room for a bigger horse. I believe our trailer is 7' wide and 7' tall (it would be taller, but the ceiling has insulation). Ideally we would have preferred a wider trailer, but it seems to fit our 16.1+ horses fine.

Backing the beast was a learning curve, definitely does not swing like our old two horse, but I can back it like a pro now.

We have been pretty happy with it, not so big its hard to bring anywhere, but fits everyone and everything.

PNWjumper
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:32 AM
Please don't do it! A 3 horse BP is just too big a trailer to safely pull as a tag-along. It will pull you sideways down hills, sway and cause you immeasurable grief--no matter what the salesman tells you.
2 horse BP's are bad enough, but slant or straight, the weight of that thing will be dangerous to control.

I disagree with this.

I've been hauling my 3H BP for 8 years now and haven't ever been pulled even the tiniest bit sideways, had it sway, or cause me any grief whatsoever. I hauled with a Dodge 1500 (bigger engine/hemi) for the first 5 years and hauled 3 big horses + accessories over mountain passes regularly. Never felt undertrucked or like I was being pulled around by the trailer at all. I've had a Ford F-350 for the last few years, and haven't had any problems with it either. The only "issue" I've had is that there was a learning curve to mastering backing up accurately (compared to the GNs I had pulled).

When I haul 2 horses I always put them in the front two stalls....it seems like putting the weight over the wheels would make the most sense, but that's not speaking from any particular knowledge base :lol: My back stall is also slightly smaller and I don't love having a horse up against the doors if there's a choice (even though they latch securely enough and haven't ever posed a problem with horse #3).

I can't help with any of the specs...sorry!

ambar
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:35 AM
I've been hauling my 3H BP for 8 years now and haven't ever been pulled even the tiniest bit sideways, had it sway, or cause me any grief whatsoever. I hauled with a Dodge 1500 (bigger engine/hemi) for the first 5 years and hauled 3 big horses + accessories over mountain passes regularly. Never felt undertrucked or like I was being pulled around by the trailer at all.

I've put thousands of miles on a steel 3H BP with a Dodge 2500 diesel, mountain passes and all the rest of it. Behaves beautifully. Granted, I'm hauling Arabians.

Black Points
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Mary in Area 1, I also disagree even though I've only pulled a 2H, slant, BP trailer with small DR. I ALWAYS use a weight distributing hitch. Hauled 2 horses to GMHA with no problem at all with a Ford Bronco. When I got my F150, short bed, I was amazed at how much better it hauled because of the longer wheel base. I would certainly use a WDH with a 3H slant BP. Also, my horses are TB/Connemaras and TBs, all 15.3H or less.

Glad to hear that others pull a 3H slant BP with no problem. My friends are trying to talk me into a GN but it would not only be more $$$ but I wouldn't be able to have a DR if I wanted it to fit in the garage (my husband insists that all equipment be stored inside and we built this garage just for the trailer and tractor). Have to please the husband!

EventingJ: I'll have to look for your trailer in my driveway! I've never noticed it. Glad to hear that it works for you. I hope I can learn to back a 3H into my garage:yes:

Mary in Western NY

tabula rashah
Aug. 9, 2011, 01:08 PM

Agree completely- I don't like driving a 2H BP but I will. I would most definitely not pull a 3H BP. I was towing a 2H BP the other day (truck F350 Dually- so more than enough truck), young horse jumping around like a maniac in the trailer and I had to keep it under 45 to feel safe.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
If I had a young horse jumping around like a maniac in my trailer (whatever size or brand or type) I would be keeping the speed down, too. Never had a moment's anxiety pulling with a BP all through BC's mountains, although the GN's turn and back better (I am told...not from experience.) Actually, I probably would not be shipping that horse.

katyb
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
If I had a young horse jumping around like a maniac in my trailer (whatever size or brand or type) I would be keeping the speed down, too. Never had a moment's anxiety pulling with a BP all through BC's mountains, although the GN's turn and back better (I am told...not from experience.) Actually, I probably would not be shipping that horse.

Ditto that.

I have a stock combo BP trailer. It's 16' on the floor with mangers and two straight load spots in the front, then a cut gate, then room for two smaller horses or one big horse in the back. I've towed with my Expedition and my F350 4wd crew cab long bed dually, and it is absolutely solid. I have towed goosenecks too, so it's not that I don't know what that feels like. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - I much prefer the longer wheel base over the short 2 horse BPs. Most of my towing, I just have two horses, one in front, one in back, and it's fine that way. I've loaded rescue horses just in the back, because they load easier in the open portion, and it felt fine that way as well (although I have to admit that it isn't generally a lot of weight for that hauling, as the horses tend to be emaciated).

2bee
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm looking to get a new 3H, slant load BP trailer. I'm hoping that someone out there can advise as to what size axels to get, 5000# or 7000#. I've seen different specs for different trailer manufacturers.

Also, if only carrying 2 horses, is it better to have them in the front 2 stalls or the rear 2 stalls and why. And will the ride be smoother farther away from the trailer axel or on top of the axel?

I'm also trying to decide if I should get a 54" offset and 42 inch stalls in a 7 ft wide trailer or should I go to a 7'6" wide trailer. My horses are all 16.0 H and smaller. I have a 2H, BP, 7 ft wide trailer now with 39 inch stalls and a 48 inch offset which is a bit tight.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Mary in Western NY

A fully loaded 3H should come in around 8000lbs. The 5K axles would be fine, frequently the choice is between 3.5K and the 5K....I would not have the 3.5K on a 3H trailer.

That being said there is very little difference to speak of between the 5.2K 6K and 7K axles. The tire capacity is the biggest difference, make sure you get 5.2K axles with the 8 lug 16" rims and you'll be fine.

As for loading, 2 horse should be in the front and middle stall. 1 horse should be in the front stall, the middle MAY be alright. In that situation the tongue weight needs to be confirmed with a scale to make sure tongue weight increases from the additional weight of the horse. NEVER load 1 horse in the rear, or 2 horses in the middle and rear.

Can't help on the size, but if it's a 'bit tight' now I would go with the bigger size on the new one. ;)

wsmoak
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:23 PM
Go with the bigger axles and get 16" wheels if you possibly can.

Mine is a gooseneck and has 15" wheels, 5200 lb axles and a GVWR over 9,000 lbs.

That would be fine if the tires were always evenly loaded, but they're not -- horses stand with more weight on their forehand. If you're carrying a vertical water tank, that's a lot of weight in one spot, etc.

I will never have another trailer with 15" wheels...