PDA

View Full Version : Double Bridle Question

rizzodm
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
Once a horse is comfortable with the double bridle how often do you ride in it? Do you switch back and forth from the snaffle to the double or just always ride in the double?

CZF
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:52 PM
I found it difficult to go back to a snaffle on a horse who had been ridden exclusively in a double for a long time.

I think it's better to mostly ride in the snaffle and just use the double every so often to make sure your horse is comfortable wearing it. Maybe just during lessons or something?

I think with my own horse, if/when we start using a double, I will still try to mainly ride in the snaffle.

Xpression
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:05 PM
I found it difficult to go back to a snaffle on a horse who had been ridden exclusively in a double for a long time.

It is incredibly difficult, I know from experience.

If I had gotten my horse as a 'blank slate' per say, I would continue to train and school in the snaffle, and once or twice a week I would school in the double, where I would get him to really sit down on his hocks.

Don't ride exclusively in the double. You should be able to achieve the collection required in the snaffle, and exclusively riding in the double can 'deaden' your horse's mouth.

joiedevie99
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
Depends on the horse. Current horse wears snaffle for hack days, trail ride days, and stretchy days. He wears the double for all work days. However, that doesn't mean I ride off the curb. It's usually quite loopy until I need it.

cadance
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
I tend to be a person who uses the bridoon more than the curb and am very light with the curb, since if any resistance develops while in the double bridle it still needs to be fixed/corrected via the seat and legs.
this is exactly what i've been doing with my mare, too, except i've been riding her exclusively in the double. she doesn't respect the snaffle at all, so just having the curb there to use when i need it makes a huge difference.