PDA

View Full Version : least dressage-y saddle out there

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hey, saddle experts: I have been trolling CL and eBay looking for a dressage saddle with a flatter seat, a forward flap and no knee rolls that isn't 25 years old but "stored in a non-smoking home."

I have been riding in a jumping saddle, but I know there are minimalist dressage saddles out there. I would just like to know better how to focus my search.

TIA

Somantu
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:42 PM
How about a Stubben Tristan
or a Stubben Siegfried VSD?

The Tristan comes w/various style flaps, including a very minimal one w/o knee rolls whatsoever.

The VSD is an all purpose w/a dressage bent: longer flaps – but forward.

Both have flatter seats than most dressage saddles.

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09TristanSpecial.html

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09SiegfriedVSD.html

ThreeFigs
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:45 PM
Seems the newer models ARE deep-seated for the most part. My old Passier was flat enough and with minimal rolls that I did low-level events in it, all three phases!

But it was a circa 1978 saddle.

My Neidersuss Symphonie is a relatively flat-seated saddle and the rolls are only slightly larger than the old Passier.

Have you tried good used tack shops? I found a couple of nice saddles over the years at Trumbull Mountain, and have shopped the listings at Pelham and Rick's, too.

Best of luck in your search, and I hope others chime in with good suggestions...

yventer
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:27 AM
The older Passier saddles (P, PS, PSD) are very minimalist and more forward in the flap than current dressage saddles. There is even have a AP-type which is more forward but very suitable for dressage, unlike modern AP saddles.

Now, they may be older than your "search criteria", but if well-kept, are still excellent saddles. I have three in my tack room, as I have a long thigh and many modern saddles don't give me enough room to adjust my stirrups for "smaller" horses.

Yvonne

Lost_at_C
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:39 AM
Have you considered a Working Hunter saddle? It depends on your intended use but if you're planning on lower/mid level dressage and jumping and don't want a deep seat and knee rolls/thigh blocks it might be a good option.

Vesper Sparrow
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:54 AM
My saddle is a County Connection but it doesn't fit the horse I'm riding at the momemnt so I've been borrowing my trainer's Despri (also a County... the three in one that allows you to adjust the forwardness of the seat so that you can do dressage and jump in it). To my surprise, I really, really like riding dressage in it.

Here is a photo:
http://www.countysaddlery.com/products/saddles/drespri.html

Hampton Bay
Aug. 8, 2011, 07:09 AM
The older model of Black Country Eden is pretty flat. Frank Baines Capriole. Hastilow Competition Saddles has some darned dressage-looking a/p saddles that are flatter seated with longer, slightly forward flaps.

carolprudm
Aug. 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
My saddle is a County Connection but it doesn't fit the horse I'm riding at the momemnt so I've been borrowing my trainer's Despri (also a County... the three in one that allows you to adjust the forwardness of the seat so that you can do dressage and jump in it). To my surprise, I really, really like riding dressage in it.

Here is a photo:
http://www.countysaddlery.com/products/saddles/drespri.html
A County Eventermight be a good choice....love mine, wish I hadn't sold the wide tree one I had.

dalpal
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hey, saddle experts: I have been trolling CL and eBay looking for a dressage saddle with a flatter seat, a forward flap and no knee rolls that isn't 25 years old but "stored in a non-smoking home."

I have been riding in a jumping saddle, but I know there are minimalist dressage saddles out there. I would just like to know better how to focus my search.

TIA

My hunter friend bought a Passier Antares and loves it.

dalpal
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:48 AM
Also I think my Frank Baines Capriole is pretty flat for a dressage saddle.

NorCalDressage
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:55 AM
Second the Neidersuss - pretty flat seat, minimal knee rolls and IMO does have a more forward flap - doesn't put your leg so straight.

And....they're pretty inexpensive. I don't have one, but they seem to be a barn favorite

johnnysauntie
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
The Passier Antares has a tiny block and shallower seat than most.

Though really, as a fellow liker-of-the-flat-seat-and-no-blocks ride you can't beat an old Stubben (IMHO.) I have one of the old models you describe and it fits the bill 100%. Good luck.

caper
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:06 AM
I second the Stubben VSD model. :)

quietann
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:00 AM
I've ridden in both a KN Symphonie and a Frank Baines Capriole. The Capriole has a bit more of a knee roll but both are quite flat in the seat and not overly "constructed." I've seen used Symphonies priced under $1000. They both seem suited for a broader- and flatter-backed horse.

(Unfortunately, neither fit my horse as well as they fit me...)

easyrider
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:21 PM
Aside from the saddles already mentioned, the older model of dressage saddle by Butet fits the bill. It's actually the closest to a close-contact saddle that I know (aside from the Stubben Tristan). If you're familiar with the Butet Premium endorsed by George Morris, it's the dressage version of that saddle (which was called the "California" when I bought it pre-GM's endorsement). The dressage saddle came in two seats: flat and deep. The flat is as flat as a Butet jumping saddle. All calfskin, monoflap, foam. Fabulous if it fits. It often does, because the panels themselves are minimalist.

alto
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:54 PM

TIA

Why not a 25 yr old saddle?
there are some $$$$ dressage saddles that offer seat, flap etc options; there are older saddles (maybe 2003 & older) that have minimal knee rolls & less deep seats than the current fad ...

Fine Used Saddles has a couple if early 2000 Schleese saddles with open seats & removable blocks & adjustable trees.

If you look at some European riders, there are some very forward flap saddles around.

besthorsever
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
I will add to the Stubben suggestions. The Stubben Tristan "extra special" dressage model is about as minimal as you can get. It doesn't help or hinder. They are supposed to be good for developing an indpendent seat.