PDA

View Full Version : Fitness question

Starda01
Aug. 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
How much legging up would a horse who's ridden 5x/wk, jumping over low jumps and flatwork, need to do to do a BN xcountry course? Horse is an 8 yr old TB, competes in jumpers during the winter months, here in FL.

Duckz
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
How much legging up would a horse who's ridden 5x/wk, jumping over low jumps and flatwork, need to do to do a BN xcountry course? Horse is an 8 yr old TB, competes in jumpers during the winter months, here in FL.

You should be all set. No need for a specific fitness routine at BN as long as the horse is in regular work. Especially for TBs that seem to keep themselves fit :)

VicariousRider
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:14 PM
I agree. Conventional wisdom says you should be fine.

That said, if you aren't convinced (as I often am not!) you won't be doing any real damage by adding 1-2 10 minute trot sets per week on a low-ish incline. That always makes me fell a bit more mentally prepared (gets me in "competition zone"). Space them out a few days, though, and do them for the last 2-3 weeks before the event. This seems to always give me a horse with plenty of gas in the tank at the end of x-c and I am an over preparer.... :) Especially considering the heat you may be competing in this time of year.

Remember though: If you leg the horse up more you may have more horse on your hands at the event! Sometimes certain horses are more manageable when they are a little tired. It really depends on your horse, though. This could be the case with a full TB.

Good luck with your prep!!

wildlifer
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:13 PM
None. :-)

yellowbritches
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
None. :-)
Took the words right out of my "mouth"!

4 days of riding a week is the minimum we require for all our riders competing at BN/N unless they are riding something extremely heavy (big draft crosses). They do nothing special.

The only caveat I would say to what you describe is to make sure you are riding OUT of the ring some amount each week. It is hard to prepare for cross country by riding in a ring. You don't need to go do trot and canter sets, but getting out on uneven terrain is necessary, in my book, for all xc horses and riders.

scubed
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:41 PM
What yb said. I rode my ottb through prelim with no specific fitness work