PDA

View Full Version : Ah ha! The stinker CAN do it, he'd just rather not

Duckz
Aug. 7, 2011, 06:27 PM
I finally have PROOF (http://youtu.be/tBrBHt6Uz4M) that my horse can execute a flying change of lead in at least one direction! He's a sneaky one. Sometimes he lands off a jump cross cantering, then fixes it up front (see 0:18,) and if you're not looking, you think it's a full change. Other times he shuffles through half a trot stride to change leads (0:20). Occasionally he swaps off in front and catches up behind three or four strides later (0:32). And ladies and gentlemen, for the first time captured on film, Lincoln does a full flying lead change: 0:52. I can't believe he demonstrated all of his lead change strategies in one video :lol:

Can we take our flying changes and go back to the hunter ring now? :cool:

Bwaahahahahahha just kidding, xc is the best thing ever.

Dakotawyatt
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
He is such a lovely horse! Y'all make a great pair.:D

seeuatx
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:41 PM
Lola has made the BIG mistake of showing me so early in her training that she can. OOOPs. I had a little grid set up going left in the arena about a month or 2 ago. She landed right, and I was going to head straight, halt, and then canter off left... but she swapped right over to the left with the first half halt. Uhoh... Mommy knows her secret now ;)

Granted that left lead is currently her better lead... but the point is she CAN.

enjoytheride
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:05 PM
My mare does auto lead changes on hunter and stadium courses and will do one tempis when she is ANGRY. However she will not, under any circumstances, do a flying change when I ask. COW

Duckz
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:13 PM
He is such a lovely horse! Y'all make a great pair.:D

Thanks! This was my first Training, and his. Love my giant pony.

My mare does auto lead changes on hunter and stadium courses and will do one tempis when she is ANGRY. However she will not, under any circumstances, do a flying change when I ask. COW

That makes me feel so much better :lol: Lincoln was supposed to be my 3' equitation mount. All's well that ends well though :cool:

gold2012
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
What a cutie!!!! You ride so nicely!!!! Thread made me laugh! Thanks.

jen-s
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
Seriously, he's freaking CUTE--funky changes and all. If you ever get tired of him... ;)

AEM74
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
Duckz, I love your guy. He's so cute and you two make a very nice pair. I too ride a large fella, so I have a soft spot for the draft x's and can so relate to their sometimes creative lead change methods.

More importantly though, what shirt is that you're wearing? I love it. :winkgrin:

retreadeventer
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:41 PM
Ah ha! Outed! Love the whitewall tires. This is one CUTE pony. Can't wait to see you at Betsy's!

fargaloo
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:48 PM
Duckz - he is gorgeous! You two make a great pair :) What a lovely round -- congrats!!

My mare (the flying cow) uses her flying changes the way my dear father used to use his turn signals in his car -- "I'll use it when I damn well please, and anyway, it's no one's damn business where I'm going!!"

tres grey
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:41 PM
Gosh, he looks like so much fun! Great round!

Duckz
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:10 AM
More importantly though, what shirt is that you're wearing? I love it. :winkgrin:

Equine Couture (http://breeches.com/Equine-Couture-Ladies-Air-O-Short-Sleeve-Brand-2-CPath-5_25-pid-52259-qty-.html). I love it! The shirts with the technical fabric run big. The all-cotton polo shirts run really small.

Can't wait to see you at Betsy's!

I'm excited! I can't believe the clinic is coming up so soon.

My mare (the flying cow) uses her flying changes the way my dear father used to use his turn signals in his car -- "I'll use it when I damn well please, and anyway, it's no one's damn business where I'm going!!"

Hahahahhahaha! That's exactly it!

GingerJumper
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:16 AM
He's so cute!! Ya'll look like a fantastic pair :)