View Full Version : Body Clippers

Aug. 7, 2011, 06:26 PM
I am curious as to recommendations regarding either the Oster A5 or Andis Super 2 speed clippers. I have recently relocated to South Florida and know that I will have to body clip my boy this fall/winter. I do not want to spend a fortune but want something that will do the job properly.

Thank you

Aug. 7, 2011, 07:18 PM
Love my Andis. I know that to do a whole body clip it's recommended that you get actual body clippers (the bigger ones), but mine have done well enough for me. Just make sure you have two blades so you can switch them out when they get hot.

Aug. 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have been using oster A5's for the last 2 years for clipping and I wouldn't recommend them for body clipping. It usually takes me a full week of clipping in stages to do one horse. The blades are small and so they go dull quickly...it usually takes me at least 3 blades to finish one immaculately clean horse. They don't give a very clean clip because they're not really powerful enough for the job. They're great for face and legs but for body clipping I would go with something designed for livestock clipping even if you have to buy used.

If you want to buy mine they're for sale :)

Aug. 7, 2011, 08:43 PM
I really think it's worth it to get a set of heavy duty clippers if you are doing much body clipping. I have a pair of A5s and they are ok for an occasional trace clip, but you'll spend a fortune on blades and it will take forever to do a full body clip. I like having a set of Oster Clipmasters to take care of all the heavy hair and then use my A5s for face, legs, and detailing.

Classical DQ
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have the Andis and body clip with them all the time. I don't own any other larger clippers. I LOVE them and the horses do too. They are quiet and lightweight. I use the T-84 blade.

Aug. 7, 2011, 09:25 PM
I just did my guy with my Andis cordless. Used the wide blade, no problems.

Aug. 7, 2011, 09:36 PM
Love my Andis 2 speed. Super quiet, my spooky horse has no problem with them. I've only ever done her legs, but would not hesitate to do a full body with them.

Aug. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
I own 2 pairs of Andis Super 2 speeds that I use for body clipping regularly :)

I love them, with the exception that they seem to get hot pretty quickly - hence the second pair. I mostly use the T-84 wide blade.

I get an absolutely perfect AA quality clip with no lines every single time.