PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas to Get Dead Deer out of Pool -- from 1,600 miles away?

King's Ransom
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:38 PM
Well here's a new one (for me). Neighbor just called and there is a dead deer in our pool on our property in Connecticut.

Now we are in Kansas at the moment.

Does anyone have a clue whom we should call about removing a deer from a pool in Connecticut?? :eek:

SMF11
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:42 PM
Where in Connecticut? (You can PM me, if you want). I live two miles from the CT border and my neighbor would probably be happy to help for a little $$.

Otherwise . . . maybe start asking w/the pool maintenance company? Or a landscaper? Probably after about 5 phone calls you'll find the right person. Good luck.

King's Ransom
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:50 PM
SMF11 -- you have a PM.

englishcowgirl
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:00 AM
have you called animal control? I think any general handyman type service will be able to help too! Actually why can't your neighbor fish out the beasty?

JanM
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:54 AM
I think a large part of getting rid of Bambi is how long Bambi's been floating in the pool. Even where I live it would be hard to get rid of something that's been floating for a while. And I think the pool people will have to make a special trip to check the filters and such.

Of course, since I live in Alabama it would be very different here. If I had a pool (and I don't) and if a deer drowned in it there would be a line of people willing to remove it very quickly. Deer killed by car accidents (mostly big pickups and dump trucks I think) around here don't stay by the road for long at all. I think acquiring road kill is very legal here, and a little bruising doesn't matter I guess.

Kairoshorses
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

:D

Sorry, someone suggested this when we had a horse (32 years old) die on our farm in IN in the worst winter on record, and we couldn't get the horse out of the stall because the horse had frozen solid. Then when the snow melted, it was too muddy for anyone to get to the barn w/ a vehicle. It was sad (yet almost comical). We got suggestions from "put your dogs in the stall for two hours every day" to "dig down into the stall and bury it" (we had dirt stalls).

We finally tried to pull it out, and it came out, all right...in pieces. That may well be your situation, too (along with draining pool and refilling it, alas). Hope it doesn't come to that!

Bluey
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
I would think a landscaper can get their light machinery in there, that won't damage the yard turf or tiling around the pool.

If they can get a skidster with rubber tracks, or a rubber track light backhoe, that would make the job much easier.
Hopefully it will come all out in one piece, if it is not too rotten.

May work best to make a deer burrito with a tarp, well tied together, to keep it all in one piece.
Then drag or lift the burrito out of the pool and onto whatever you have to pull it out of the yard.:)

King's Ransom
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:38 AM
Gosh, what a horrible subject ... Bluey, that may be a good idea about the deer burrito, but since I am not there, I really don't know what the options are.

We are trying to get hold of a landscaper today. To those who wonder why the neighbor doesn't just drag it out ... well ... it's not really his job. We do have someone "caretaking" the place but -- looks like we need to find someone else as this person has left us high-and-dry with a "I don't have any idea what to do" response. Can't even get him to make a few phone calls and try. So much for him as a caretaker!

This sounds like an episode of Seinfeld, doesn't it? Will let you know how it turns out.

mvp
Aug. 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
I hang with the kind of "down home" people that this sort of thing would happen to... and make a good story. Nice, old, 100# black lab (as stupid as the day is long), probably had a heart attack while leaning over the side for a drink, fell in and sunk to the bottom. The boy of the family was told to dive in and retrieve the body. No, the pool wasn't drained.

Your caretaker is being a wuss. Deer aren't that big and heavy. Just go in and get the sucker. I think a call to your CT area Animal Control would be a great first stop. If it hasn't been there long, call your pool guy and say "Hey, uh, how much more chlorine do you want to add to take care of this little problem?'

Guin
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
You need someone with a winch. Try fire dept or tow truck company.

Bluey
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:12 PM
If it is not falling apart yet, two men can pull it out and drag it to where it can be loaded just fine.
Hunters do it all the time, sometimes one alone can get it done, if it is not a very big deer.

It is going to be hard to find some official on a Sunday, like AC or game wardens, that could help them there.

Equibrit
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:25 PM
The local fire department may oblige.

JanM
Aug. 7, 2011, 04:40 PM
Is there a local hunt club? (and I mean those who hunt deer) They might be willing to drop over, push it to the side by the gate (pool skimmers should work), float a tarp under it, rope the tarp corners and pull. Two decent sized men should have no problem with this. If it's not too gamey then they might take it, and if it is the state road kill department can come and get it Monday-if they put it by the side of the road. And a local hunt club (fox hunters) might come and take it for the hounds if it isn't too old too.

KR-some day you'll look back on this and laugh. Of course, it might take a few years to really be funny.

Anon40something
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:20 PM
I'm so intrigued by the outcome of this.. please do post back and update us when a soluton is found! :)

clanter
Aug. 7, 2011, 06:23 PM
The local fire department may oblige.

That would be my thought also; it could be a training exercise.

MistyBlue
Aug. 7, 2011, 06:46 PM
KR...PM me and remind me again where in CT your place is. If close enough, I'll go haul it out. (it's a deer, not a moose, right? ;) 300 lbs or less I can handle no problem, more than that might be pushing it, LOL)

If it's close enough to anyone I know, I'll see about making some calls. It's an inground? Shouldn't be a tough one. Gross, but not tough.

Bluey
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:21 PM
KR...PM me and remind me again where in CT your place is. If close enough, I'll go haul it out. (it's a deer, not a moose, right? ;) 300 lbs or less I can handle no problem, more than that might be pushing it, LOL)

If it's close enough to anyone I know, I'll see about making some calls. It's an inground? Shouldn't be a tough one. Gross, but not tough.

Rope it by both hind legs low and have someone helping heave it over the edge of the pool and drag it to the pickup.:yes:

MistyBlue
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:33 PM
Yup, pretty much. I'm betting at this point a head or other area to rope wouldn't work so well...might have been marinating a while and be a little...erm...soft. :winkgrin:

Can't be more than a few hundred lbs, I'm thinking a simple rope-n-drag.

CVPeg
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:45 PM
Gotta love COTH & everyone here - always somethin' brewing & lots of help to boot! All the entertainment anyone could ask for right here...and educational as well! :lol:
Can't wait to hear the end result.:yes:

Really could make a reality show from this forum.:cool:

Nes
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
Please don't post the pictures :lol:

King's Ransom
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:08 PM
MB -- you have a PM.

We have been trying to reach someone all day today, and so far we have struck out. We had one guy try to call us back, but for some reason DH's cell phone didn't ring, the guy went straight to voice mail. We called him back -- and went straight to his vm. So, we are still hoping to find someone.

Kyzteke
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
Rope it by both hind legs low and have someone helping heave it over the edge of the pool and drag it to the pickup.:yes:

Exactly! If you can, back the pick-up right to the edge.

Put the rope around the "girth" area of the deer, rather that just legs, in case the deer has....hmmm....softened abit.

Like another poster said, here in ID if I found a deer in my pool (if I had a pool), it would be BBQ by evening (since it's already marinated) and we'd be have a big old party!

I guess there is big difference between cultures here...:D

Good luck!

MistyBlue
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:34 PM
Got the PM...location works for me. :D

Not a problem, just PM me details. Sounds like fun. :yes:

And yeah...if I do this I'm taking photos folks. :cool:

I'm *not* putting any ropes or chains around the midsection though. If s/he's softened...that cavity is gonna pop like an overripe plum and I'm kinda thinking KR isn't going to want the contents floating around the pool, LOL! Intestines can really fark up a filter. ;)

KBC
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
So subscribing to get the next chapter, can't wait for updates

BaroquePony
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
Oh my :lol:.

2tempe
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
THE WHALE VIDEO is hilarious:lol::lol::lol:

King's Ransom
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:14 PM
MB has incredibly graciously offered to get and dispose of the deer! However, DH and I hate to impose on her -- this could be a big mess. DH THINKS he has located someone to do this, but they are playing telephone tag. If we can't get firm arrangements soon, I am hoping MB can at least go up and survey the situation, call me with the real facts, and we can make a plan from there.

Wow! MB, you are AMAZING!

CoTH is amazing!

We shall have to write a story about this one!

MistyBlue
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
No imposition at all. I'm pretty handy at moving large dead things. I do it often enough. :winkgrin:
(wait, that makes me sound weird doesn't it?)
The smell and...ummm...bits and pieces don't bother me at all. And I'm pretty good at keeping them in one piece, waterlogged or not.

Just let me know either way. I keep a tow rope in the truck. :)

alspharmd
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty handy at moving large dead things.

Freaking hilarious!!

jen-s
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:08 PM
KR--How could you possibly consider using someone else since MB has so graciously agreed to help out (and take pics!)?!!? Seriously! Where's your sense of COTHer camaraderie? Please, please, please let MB work her "large dead thing" magic and record it for posterity.....

NowThatsATrot
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:21 PM
:lol: Sometimes I really love this forum.

Beverley
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well, I DO want to see pics.:lol:

I would still call animal control/game warden even if MB or someone else is set to do the removing. They do like to keep track of demographics on the deceased game in many states- and could probably be guilt tripped into helping.

Alas, I wouldn't myself be firing up the barbie, methinks the chlorine marination might be a bit de trop by now...

ArabDiva
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:46 PM
MistyBlue is the best. I can't wait to hear how this all turns out. Sorry there's a deer floating in your pool. I would be adding lots of chlorine when i got home ;-)

karlymacrae
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
I can't get over this thread. WAY too funny. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out!

KBC
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:08 AM
No imposition at all. I'm pretty handy at moving large dead things. I do it often enough.

So just saying, if I suddenly happened to have a body that is say 6' 1" tall, and around 250 pounds, could you make him, I mean it disappear for me??

mypaintwattie
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:11 AM
I'm *not* putting any ropes or chains around the midsection though. If s/he's softened...that cavity is gonna pop like an overripe plum and I'm kinda thinking KR isn't going to want the contents floating around the pool, LOL! Intestines can really fark up a filter. ;)

Thanks MB, I now have a mouthful of soda farking up my keyboard:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BasqueMom
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:56 AM
Now, these are the kind of threads that keep my coming here.....waiting
anxiously for updates tomorrow!

spacytracy
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:14 AM
YOU HAVE TO LET MB DO IT!!!!

How else are we going to get some sort of update on this with such glorious detail and descriptions????

CVPeg
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:48 AM
So just saying, if I suddenly happened to have a body that is say 6' 1" tall, and around 250 pounds, could you make him, I mean it disappear for me??

:lol::lol::lol:

JSwan
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
Are you going to bring the deer home for Morticia? She will be SO happy.

carolprudm
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
I think a large part of getting rid of Bambi is how long Bambi's been floating in the pool. Even where I live it would be hard to get rid of something that's been floating for a while. And I think the pool people will have to make a special trip to check the filters and such.

Of course, since I live in Alabama it would be very different here. If I had a pool (and I don't) and if a deer drowned in it there would be a line of people willing to remove it very quickly. Deer killed by car accidents (mostly big pickups and dump trucks I think) around here don't stay by the road for long at all. I think acquiring road kill is very legal here, and a little bruising doesn't matter I guess.
LOL, I hit a big buck several years back. As i was standing by the side of the road wondering what to do several good ole boys came along in a pickup and were very happy to take the body, saying "Lady, you did better than we did all weekend!"

It did $1800 woth of damage to my Trooper though

Any updates????That deer's got to be pretty fragrant by now

Daydream Believer
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
Mistyblue...I have to ask what it is that you do that has you so handy at body removal? Only curious!

This truly is a weird thread...should go down in the archives I'm thinking!

ChocoMare
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:50 AM
I await the outcome with worm-on-tongue! :winkgrin:

horsetales
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:48 AM
Mistyblue...I have to ask what it is that you do that has you so handy at body removal? Only curious!

This truly is a weird thread...should go down in the archives I'm thinking!

Agree :lol: This reminds me of the off topic day thread of the turkey stuck in the oven (which I never did here if the OP checked back in with an ending) :cool:

Alagirl
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:53 AM
Agree :lol: This reminds me of the off topic day thread of the turkey stuck in the oven (which I never did here if the OP checked back in with an ending) :cool:

Oh, the chicken?
It was 'rescued' by the repair guy a day or 2 later. It looked like it could have been a delicious bird....alas....

But I have to agree...this could be another one for the archives. :lol:

Long Spot
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:57 AM

Ever seen Dexter? ;):lol:

RacetrackReject
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
I hate to mention this, but dead things in water usually suffer from skin slippage which could complicate matters even further. >.>

Fourbeats
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:32 PM
This thread just gets better and better. In a slightly sick, definitely morbid, and yet ever so funny way!

King's Ransom
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:34 PM
Update: I hope MB will stay on standby in case we have another dud -- but just got off the phone with someone who sounds reliable. Says they will go today and take care of the deer in the pool ... and will meet up with us when we get back to CT to possibly take over the "caretaking" position.

Needless to say, the other guy is OUT!

If this guy lets us down, though, we will definitely let MB do her stuff! And I cannot express my appreciation to her enough! DH and I met up with MB a year or so ago and had lunch (or was it two years?). She is really a terrific person!

AnotherRound
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hoo, boy. Didn't see this til just now. I would suggest that they bring a large, really big, tarp, slip it under the animal and have ropes attached to the grommet holes, whereby they - I mean MB - can gather the ends together like - like - oh, yeah! One of those suede moneybags we used to get in the 60's. I had a purple one and a tan one. With the ends gathered together - like a hay net!! - she could then pull the whole thing out without making too much of a mess.
But I think she's already gone to do the deed? This will be fun.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
:lol: Sometimes I really love this forum.
^
Amen to THIS!

MB:
I stand in awe...and BTW I have a coworker..... :uhoh: erm, nevermind...

Pics!
Where R the pics!!!

MistyBlue
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
Sounds great KR...if you get a new, improved caretaker out of this that's awesome.

If it falls through, let me know.

I think it was at least 2 years ago we met...boy does time fly.

I'd have that pool drained, cleaned and refilled though, depending on how many days that floater has been there. Deer can be cute and all Bambi-like but let one waterlog and decompose for a few days in summer heat and I don't even want to try guessing what that's done to the water.

I guess I could always take orders on removing other large dead stuff, LOL! (kidding folks!)

WhiteCamry
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
Gotta love COTH & everyone here - always somethin' brewing & lots of help to boot! All the entertainment anyone could ask for right here...
Rather like cesspools collapsing under a front lawn when I was a kid on Long Island ... those were always a social occasion on the block!

Frank B
Aug. 8, 2011, 07:48 PM
...like - like - oh, yeah! One of those suede moneybags we used to get in the 60's...
You mean like this one? (http://www.disturbingauctions.com/view.php?item=11)

carolprudm
Aug. 8, 2011, 07:52 PM
You mean like this one? (http://www.disturbingauctions.com/view.php?item=11)
ummm, no not exactly.

aspenlucas
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
Who wants to swim in King Ransom's pool next week? :) Just the thought of an animal in the water over a few hours makes me want to puke. I hope someone gets it out soon!

nickers@dawn
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:52 PM
I starting to think of the scene from Poltergeist, the one in the pool, except with a deer!! :eek::eek::eek:

IFG
Aug. 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
Who wants to swim in King Ransom's pool next week? :) Just the thought of an animal in the water over a few hours makes me want to puke. I hope someone gets it out soon!

Well, we have had squirrel, chipmunk, and mice floaters, and the pool has been none the worse for wear. A deer? Eeeeew......

PaintPony
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:11 AM
I unfortunately had to fish a dead fawn out of my pool. It was only there for a day though.

We had the solar cover on (it floats on top of the water but will sink if you try to walk on it). I'm guessing the poor thing tried to walk across it and drowned when it sank.

It looked only a few days old. :( I scooped it up with a pitchfork (I'm very handy with one :)) and put it way back in the woods. Then we bleached and scrubbed the hell out of the cover.

The saddest part was that we kept having a female deer (the mom I assume) come to the edge of the woods near the pool and bleat (or whatever you call the noise) for almost a week.

I find deer annoying and there are way too many around here, but I couldn't help but feel sad for the baby.

WhiteCamry
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
:(

Hunter Mom
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:29 AM
So, KR, when is the pool party? Must have today's update! BTW - I'd come to your Kansas manor anyhow. ;)

King's Ransom
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:02 AM
The Kansas pool is GORGEOUS -- no critters in there! Crystal clear, ready to go. So come on over!

It is my understanding that the deer is out of the pool in CT, but I have not actually spoken to the person myself ... that pool will be drained, cleaned and refilled and covered.

I will re-post when I have absolute confirmation. Perhaps a photo?

Unfortunately, I have learned not to trust hearsay!

JSwan
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:46 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned using a trebuchet. A dead deer in a pool practically screams trebuchet. It's the ultimate siege weapon. Also good for flinging smelly things at obnoxious neighbors.

poltroon
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:52 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned using a trebuchet. A dead deer in a pool practically screams trebuchet. It's the ultimate siege weapon. Also good for flinging smelly things at obnoxious neighbors.

:lol: I imagine the OP's home is not zoned for deer-flinging trebuchets. :lol:

JSwan
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:57 AM
True, but just think of the possibilities.....:winkgrin:

kari
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:02 PM

OMG! Can you imagine???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

King's Ransom
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:03 PM
In all things ... maintain a sense of humor!!

darkmoonlady
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:07 PM
This whole thread keeps bringing to mind the naked Kevin Costner scene in Dances with Wolves when he finds like FIVE dead deer in the pond. Uber gross but then again we got to see his butt so it was all worth it.

Catersun
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:03 PM

DUDE! I want one :winkgrin:

msj
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
This whole thread keeps bringing to mind the naked Kevin Costner scene in Dances with Wolves when he finds like FIVE dead deer in the pond. Uber gross but then again we got to see his butt so it was all worth it.

Dang, I don't remember that scene. I've got the tape so now I have to go and watch the movie again. :) That's OK as there is NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING. on TV in the summer.

Roxyllsk
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:41 PM

Dead Deer Chunkin', anyone ? :lol:

King's Ransom
Aug. 9, 2011, 04:48 PM
Update: Ugh! I am just sickened at what's happened. The deer is out of the pool. I am so glad MB did NOT get involved in this.

Shall I just say it's been there for awhile?

We had two people who were supposed to be looking after the house -- one whom we hired to take care of the outside maintenance (mowing, trimming, pool, etc.) and also DH's adult son who was supposed to sort of check up on the guy we hired. And it was not until a neighbor called that we learned of this awful mess.

<<sigh>>

I thought we were being responsible, but this is clearly a mess. Thank goodness these people were not responsible to care for our horses!!

I think I could use that trebuchet ... but not on the danged deer!

KBC
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
Dead Deer Chunkin', anyone ? :lol:

:lol::lol: Sounds like one for the Redneck Olympics

ChocoMare
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:08 PM
Ohhhhh ick :dead:

Glad it's on the way to being over/cleaned now. :sigh:

wireweiners
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:09 PM
This is the reason that if I ever win the lottery and can put in an inground pool, it will have a beach entrance so if a critter is unfortunate enough to fall in, it can easily get out.

MistyBlue
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna guess it got degloved? :winkgrin: :lol: :eek:
Or...worse?

That's a whole lotta bacteria, definitely drain, disinfect and close it.

No photos? :winkgrin:

Blinkers On
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
Oh Blech and photos would be cool!

Shine
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hey MistyBlue - I think your assistance is needed over in the "I got a gator in my pond" thread! Might be a little trickier to catch than a dead deer though.....:winkgrin:

CVPeg
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:05 PM
Ewww. I would have to read the end result just before dindin.
Can't help but have a morbid curiosity about this thread though...;)

MistyBlue
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hey MistyBlue - I think your assistance is needed over in the "I got a gator in my pond" thread! Might be a little trickier to catch than a dead deer though.....:winkgrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Erm, I don't deal well with anything alive in water with big pointy teeth. :eek:

I can walk on water (okay, RUN on water) over a pike. A shark? I use my patented 3P routine...pee, puke and pass out. (hopefully in that order) Gators? Not willing to give it a try unless it's a small one. Not when it's in water. On land? Possibly. Maybe. I'm not overly bright. ;)
In water...NFW.

Beverley
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
Oh, shoot, MB, what a wuss. I could tell you tales about the little caiman we babysat back in the 60s, that got away, and then found by a neighbor in our creek 6 months or so later.

We got him (or her, didn't know how to sex one at the time) back and returned to owners.

MistyBlue
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:00 PM
Caimans, no problem. Gators in a pond/pool? Problem. :winkgrin: My brother had a couple Caimans ages ago.

He also had tarantulas, scorpions and all sorts of other creepy crawlies. Those things never bothered me. Big swimmy things with teeth in the water? Yikes! :eek:

Heck, gators on land don't bother me. But I don't get into water with big swimmy things with teeth.

yaya
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:13 PM
Isn't a Caiman similar to an alligator? Why are Caimans okay, but gators not?

jetsmom
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:22 AM
I can't get over this thread. WAY too funny. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out!

The only thing that would have made this thread even better, is if it was the same person who had the chicken stuck in the oven...:D

ThatScaryChick
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:20 AM
Sorry, but I don't think I would be ok getting in the water with this:

http://www.alovelyworld.com/webbur/gimage/bur05.jpg (Caiman) :eek:

or any of it's relatives. :lol:

GatoGordo
Aug. 10, 2011, 05:23 AM
Come on, where's your sense of adventure? Your willingness to lose a limb from infection (I'm assuming caimans have sewer mouths like their relatives do)? :p From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caimaninae):

They are relatively small crocodilians, with most species reaching lengths of only a few meters, although one species, the Black caiman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_caiman), can exceed 4 metres (13 ft) in length.

Crikey, "only" a few meters? Why, that's just a wee little swimming pal. Nothing to worry about.

OP, it's only August and I'm already calling this COTH Thread of the Year 2011.

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:45 AM
Isn't a Caiman similar to an alligator? Why are Caimans okay, but gators not?

Caimans aren't native to the USA. So those here are usually pets kept in tanks. It's unusual to find them here over 3' or so. 3' snappy lizard on land...not as scary as a 4' snappy gator in water. Also not an issue with it in a shallow stream instead of in a pond where it can sneak up on you. :winkgrin:

Not saying it's safe or they're sweet tempered or anything though. Just doesn't trip my creep-o-meter as much. ;)

winfieldfarm
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:57 AM
okay back to the deer. Was it all decomposed and degloved? my morbid curiosity must be satsified. And I am all grossed out with the visual of someone having to actually get in the pool to assist in the wrapping and retrieval. gurk...

King's Ransom
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
Winfieldfarm -- yes.

And, as I said before, I am just sick about it. I don't think they had to get into the pool with that thing. And the bill is justifiably hefty!

msj
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
Winfieldfarm -- yes.

And, as I said before, I am just sick about it. I don't think they had to get into the pool with that thing. And the bill is justifiably hefty!

KR, I hope you aren't planning on paying the person that was SUPPOSED TO take care of the grounds/pool maintenance. I think I'd consider taking him to small claims court to get back the $ you just paid to get the deer out of the pool. :yes:

asb_own_me
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:56 AM
Winfieldfarm -- yes.

Well, if they are sticking you with a hefty bill, they should document their work with lots of PICTURES!!!

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Eeeeyyeeewww...sounds fantastically disgusting. :D

Don't tell me they got *in* the pool with a well-stewed carcass?? :eek:

People really need to get catch-poles and long hooks. Blech.

I'd be uber-pissed at the caretaker. It's hard to notice a dead frog in a pool...it's damned hard to miss a dead deer in a pool. Bloated and floating or mushy and on the bottom.

King's Ransom
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
Oh, I am uber-pissed at the caretaker ... and at the adult son who was supposed to be checking up on things.

I do not think they got in the pool, MB.

We are going to go back to CT at the end of this month, and hopefully by then I will be able to take photos of a nice, clean pool that is properly closed and covered for the season.

It also sounds like -- and believe me I am wary now, so I WILL be checking up -- it SOUNDS like this new guy will do a good job.

Another reason to get rid of that property! Danged economy!

aab
Aug. 10, 2011, 12:27 PM
Ugghh, shouldn't have read this while eating lunch! :no: Good luck with your dilemma, King's Ransom.

oliverreed
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
King's Ransom, have you called your insurance agent? Your homeowner's policy might help cover the cost of this mess. Just a thought.

We are putting in an inground pool this fall and we have TONS of deer on our property - big ones. We saw a 12 point buck and a 10 pointer last night, my husband said the big one has to weigh all of 200 lbs. Now I'm very concerned. We don't need two threads like this!

JSwan
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
I guess we can be thankful those people weren't taking care of pets or livestock.

Though had they been doing their job, that deer might have been discovered in time to save its life. How long it struggled to stay alive.... Before succumbing to exhaustion and drowning...well... It didn't need to happen. Yes, I know deer are over populated, blah blah blah. But drowning is a horrible way to die.

So those asshats should be ashamed of themselves for several reasons. Jerks.

JSwan
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
For those putting in a pool, consider choosing designs that allow animals to escape should they fall in. Your dog could fall in just as easily as wildlife.

Chall
Aug. 10, 2011, 03:23 PM
Besides designing for escape, in NY all inground pools must be surrounded by a fence at least 6' tall. One thing you may want to consider when redesigning is making it absolutely child proof - 14 foot chain link, padlocked fence and a walk out ramp? Because while the deer was "amusing" for us bystanders, I was concerned about the consequences of having authorities (or you insurance company) investigate and find it insufficiently child-proofed. I am really thankful it was just a deer.

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
In Ct getting a permit to put up a 14' fence isn't easy. Anything over 6' requires a special permit.
Our state law on pool enclosures is a minimum of 4' tall, spaces of no more than 4" between slats/uprights, no more than 2" clearance from ground under fence and a self-closing/self-latching gate. Chainlink pool fencing must have diamonds no larger than 1 1/4".

We can't get permits for a pool (ingrounds require a permit to build) without it having a legal fence installed at completion. (they come out to inspect after) Insurance also requires it, with photos or an adjustor checking it in person.

Pools are great to have in hot summer weather...but they are a liability too. I just got in from doing some outside work and I'm wishing I had a pool right now to flop into. Preferrably without a deer in it. ;)

Tamara in TN
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
For those putting in a pool, consider choosing designs that allow animals to escape should they fall in. Your dog could fall in just as easily as wildlife.

don't they have steps?

Tamara

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
Many do, but no all. :no:

Some inground pools have attached ladders inside instead. In the deep end. If the shallow end is less than 3' then no second ladder or steps are required I don't think. Not sure at this time...it's been a long time since I had to have the pool-rules memorized and stuff could've changed.

But most of the inground pools that I know have steps/stairs in one corner of the shallow end. Most often used by adults as a cool spot to sit with a drink. :lol:

I love the pools with the beach entrance...but those aren't very common here. I'd guess that about 90% or more of the ingrounds being built today are made with vinyl liners/forms. Not poured concrete you can shape however you like.

JustTrails
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:26 PM

I bet that gator would have been more than happy to dispose of the deer!:winkgrin:, then just relocate Mr. Gator to a safe habitat.

carolprudm
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
don't they have steps?

Tamara

Some do but often the dog will panic and not FIND the steps.

wireweiners
Aug. 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
I bet that gator would have been more than happy to dispose of the deer!:winkgrin:, then just relocate Mr. Gator to a safe habitat.

Yeah, we could have used the dead deer to bait Wally into a trap.

Donkaloosa
Aug. 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
King's Ransom, let me apologize for snickering and outright roaring over the deer/pool story. I am sure that someday you will find it hilarious. I started out reading it and was horrified, then the humor got to me. Of course, I am a sick person. :-)

And how can anyone NOT laugh at a story that includes a deer, a swimming pool, skin slippage, a Bambi burrito, and people demanding pictures???

We are ALL a sick bunch!

(The caretaker should be shot. Sure, it's possible the deer could get in and not be found for 12-24 hours, but that's the max --- and obviously the poor thing was there longer than that.)

King's Ransom
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
I was previously misinformed. The deer is not out of the pool yet. Guy tried with a winch, but could not get it out. I am having a hard time fathoming the scope of this mess.

He is going back tomorrow with a block & tackle. The health department has offered assistance if he needs it, both in retrieval and disposal.

Sadly, it seems I have become one of THOSE people ...

In all honesty, I am glad some of you are laughing. I am not. I am just sick about this.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:18 PM
I was previously misinformed. The deer is not out of the pool yet. Guy tried with a winch, but could not get it out. I am having a hard time fathoming the scope of this mess.

He is going back tomorrow with a block & tackle. The health department has offered assistance if he needs it, both in retrieval and disposal.

Has the pool been drained yet? Wouldn't that make it easier? I am sure you and the pool people have thought of everything, but you never know.

You have my sympathy.

Frank B
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hoo-boy! Whitetail soup! Count your blessings that it wasn't a moose.

I've known a lot of people over the years that had pools and wound up filling them up.

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
If they can't get it out I'm gonna guess it's a sinker and no longer a floater?

Or it's just disintegrating when they try to move it?

Either way what they need is a weighted fishing net. The type they use trawling, not the type on a pole.

Not hard to find here, but a quick cheap one is easily built using tying bricks onto a hockey net. (Dick's Sporting Goods, $20) Attach another couple ropes to all 4 corners.

Drop one side of net in one side of pool keeping the ends of the ropes on that side in hand. One person to each side rope...slowly walk it over to the other side of the pool and holding the top net ropes steady...gently jimmy/slide the bottom of the net under the carcass. (works for floaters too) The net holds the bits and pieces in (mostly) and once the net is under the deer it can be floated/pulled up to the edge, wrapped in the net while there and then lifted or dragged over the side. 2 guys should handle a single waterlogged deer without a block and tackle.

If it's one guy (net trick still works with one, you just have to secure one rope while you walk the first one across the pool, go back for the other and then use both to pull back and forth and slide the net under the deer) then he can lift it out (tarp under where it'll land, it's gonna be messy) by either dragging it over the side with his truck/car or he can bring a step ladder and run the ropes over the top rungs on both sides and hauling down on it.

If he can't do it solo either of those ways...he needs to eat more Wheaties. :winkgrin:

Hope this helps. :)

kari
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
And how can anyone NOT laugh at a story that includes a deer, a swimming pool, skin slippage, a Bambi burrito, and people demanding pictures???
Don't forget about the trebuchet....

Seriously KR, you have my sympathies. Ick, eew, yuck. I still think you should have sent MB in right away. Best of luck in your continued disposal efforts.

King's Ransom
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
Oh MB -- perhaps I SHOULD have had you do this! But honestly, I am really really glad you are not mixed up in this mess. This way we can remain friends!

ThatScaryChick
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:18 PM

Sadly, it seems I have become one of THOSE people ...

In all honesty, I am glad some of you are laughing. I am not. I am just sick about this.

I hope they are able to get it out. It sounds like a giant mess. And I am thinking in line with another poster. Have they drained the pool yet? If they haven't wouldn't that make it easier to grab the carcass and cause less of a mess. :( Either way, you have my sympathizes and I hope it gets taken care of soon.

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:32 PM
KR...let me know if the guy needs help. :)

This type of stuff doesn't bother me.

It's not an everyday thing for people to try to figure out how to fix it. But a lot of the odd stuff I've done over the years has led to some interesting innovations on how to move big dead stuff or how to catch mean living stuff that bites and sometimes either one of those are found in water.

As big a pita as moving a large bloated and decomposing deer out of a pool can be...I'm telling ya it's still easier than getting a live otter out of one! :eek: (try bathing one afterwards! No, wait...don't try it!)

Zu Zu
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
EEEEEWWWWWWW GROSS :eek::eek::eek:

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
EEEEEWWWWWWW GROSS :eek::eek::eek:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

We recently had a report on the news about a horse that jumped into an inground pool here in Florida. It took several hours to get him out of the pool, first they tried sinking hay bales to make steps for the horse to step out, that failed, then they had to tranq him, and break down the screen enclosure, and put a sling on the horse and lift him out with a crane.

I'm betting the mess in that pool was not pretty either (I figure the horse must have crapped in the pool at least once), but less yucky than the dead dear. KR you have my deepest sympathies on this one.

RainyDayRide
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
I was previously misinformed. The deer is not out of the pool yet.

Oh KR ... this has, indeed, stopped being funny. I'm sorry...

I hope that
1. the deer is removed tomorrow
and
2. somebody in CT starts telling the truth the first time around

Alagirl
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:04 AM
on he other hand....
if he stays in a little longer, removal will be very easy....and the lawn will be fertilized at the same time....

Frank B
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
on he other hand....
if he stays in a little longer, removal will be very easy....and the lawn will be fertilized at the same time....
Yeah, but the neighbors are going to be really p*ssed when the Eau de Gooeybuck starts wafting around.

Alagirl
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, but the neighbors are going to be really p*ssed when the Eau de Gooeybuck starts wafting around.

true....:lol:
But that, too, shall pass...

oliverreed
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Oh dear. (No pun intended!) You have my sympathies. Gross.

BestHorses
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:48 AM
OP this sucks! I feel for you.

I started off reading this thread thinking it was an annoying event but kind of funny. But now that it's been so many days it's become gross. If the caretakers had just been on top of this from day one it would have been some work but relatively easy to get the body out. At this point, ewwww.

I've had dead snakes and such just about knock me over with the smell so I can't fathom the funk with a full-sized deer in a pool stew. It just makes me think of the deer in the pond in Dances with Wolves. yuck

Hope this gets resolved quickly.

King's Ransom
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
I just learned that the deer is indeed now out of the pool. The guy is heading over to the landfill with it to dispose of it properly (per instructions by the health department). The next steps, I assume, are to disinfect, drain and properly close the pool. Perhaps board it up? Fill it in? Burn the whole thing? I don't really know -- but I think the health department has some ideas. :(

RainyDayRide
Aug. 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Has the health dept been helpful? or did they just make the situation more stressful?

and has anybody sent you a photo proving that the deer is actually really truly out of the pool?

King's Ransom
Aug. 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
The health department has been VERY helpful, kudos to them. They verify that the deer is indeed out of the pool.

msj
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
The health department has been VERY helpful, kudos to them. They verify that the deer is indeed out of the pool.

Thankfully! You have my sympathy for going through all this but, as someone else said, this thread should be put in the archives as one of the better ones. Maybe in a few months you can look back and, at least, chuckle at all of it.

((((((HUGS)))))) (((((HUGS))))) (((((HUG))))))

Burbank
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
so sorry for the whole situation, it sucks that you pay people for a service, and have a relative to check up and no one is really doing what they are supposed to

you really should send the bill to be split between your caretaker and your SO's son, it is their fault that it became such a hassle

Alagirl
Aug. 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
and of course, there is a bright side to it:

You didn't have to pull Bambi out of the pool! :cool:

(I hope you find a renter or something....being that far away is really not good)

winfieldfarm
Aug. 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
I know this is neither here nor there as it seems the deer has been removed at this point but.... wouldn't it have been easier to drain the pool first since it had to be done anyway, then remove the carcass? Either way, what a nasty situation. The only plus is that you are out of state and didn't have to see the evidence first hand, forever having it burned into your retinas. And where do you find a pool company willing to help in this situation?grosssss....

tasia
Aug. 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
No imposition at all. I'm pretty handy at moving large dead things. I do it often enough. :winkgrin:
(wait, that makes me sound weird doesn't it?)
The smell and...ummm...bits and pieces don't bother me at all. And I'm pretty good at keeping them in one piece, waterlogged or not.

Just let me know either way. I keep a tow rope in the truck. :)

This totally explains the horror flick thread:lol:

tasia
Aug. 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
Fill it in? Burn the whole thing? . :(

then you could have just left bambi in it j/k. Sorry you had to go through this!! Yuck!!

grayarabs
Aug. 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
Ugh - sorry KR. Where does one drain contaminated pool water though?
Or is the water treated before is it drained? What a mess. Sorry again for you and the poor deer.

LoriO
Aug. 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
Wow, just getting caught up on here after dealing with my horse's eye injury for the past 3 weeks! KR sorry you have had to go through this. Considering how our weather here in CT has been this summer, that would not have been a pretty sight to see.

MB, why am I not surprised that you would one of the first to offer to go out and deal with it??? BTW MB, anytime you want to swim, you are welcome to drive up to Berlin for a vist and a swim!

RainyDayRide
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
So glad that the sad remains are really, truly out KR.

And for those wondering why they didn't just drain the pool first ... a pool takes quite a while to drain. In addition, I doubt that the local health authorities would have been happy to have some of that mess going into the local sewer system.

pony grandma
Aug. 15, 2011, 10:39 PM
Oh dear. (No pun intended!)

:lol::lol:

I glazed over this thread's title forever - what could be so interesting to be causing people to continue to post??? I should have known! :D

Teacup
Aug. 16, 2011, 01:35 AM
Yikes, I'm glad the deer is finally out of the pool! Some of the comments in the thread had me giggling a bit, but eeeeek, to think about it is pretty nasty.

So how do you properly clean the pool of Bambi soup anyway?

WhiteCamry
Aug. 30, 2011, 02:40 PM
Yikes, I'm glad the deer is finally out of the pool! Some of the comments in the thread had me giggling a bit, but eeeeek, to think about it is pretty nasty.

So how do you properly clean the pool of Bambi soup anyway?

Boil it away?
:D

EponaRoan
Sep. 1, 2011, 12:57 AM
Dead deer in the middle of the pool! You got your dead deer in the middle of the pool. Stinkin' to high heaven!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejelYnVI3U

carolprudm
Sep. 1, 2011, 08:04 AM
LOL, I haven't heard (or thought of) that song in years, but I can tell fall is coming....the skunks were out last night.

AlfalfaGirl
Sep. 1, 2011, 11:08 AM
wow...what a story. So sorry you had to go through that and being such a distance away must have been very frustrating. My cousin owns a pool business - he puts in those high end rock pools with the fountains, rock slides, etc. I am going to have to ask Bruce if he has ever had this situation! LOL Bruce is a roper and has horses and pools at his place out in the country. LOL I am going to tell him to be on the lookout for random deer coming across from the local sheriff's exotic deer ranch!!!

Frank B
Sep. 1, 2011, 08:47 PM
As long as we're doing road-kill songs... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RvnylyNwJc)

'Possum On The Run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG41-dQmHtw)

buck22
Sep. 1, 2011, 09:01 PM
omg, 5# possum rocks!

Frank B
Apr. 19, 2013, 03:51 PM
Coming up, April 25th, 10:00 PM EDT, on History Channel's "Chasing Tail" program: "Deer In Swimming Pool".

For those that haven't seen it, it's a "reality" program about bow hunters harvesting Whitetails from an upscale neighborhood in Connecticut which is infested by deer. A lot of humor and some actual hunting footage. It's broadcast Thursday evenings, 10:00 PM Eastern.

Equibrit
Apr. 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
How absolutely riveting.

JohnDeere
Apr. 21, 2013, 05:40 PM
Coming up, April 25th, 10:00 PM EDT, on History Channel's "Chasing Tail" program

U sure its about deer? I can see another channel being involved in a show with that name, on our dish the channels are pretty close to the low end.