PDA

View Full Version : Best product for proud flesh...

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:52 PM
My horse had a large sarciod removed from his face, just the the right of his left eye, a few months ago.

Today I picked him up after the end of his lease and notice that while it is healing nicely for the most part, there is some proud flesh forming. Its about the diameter of a dime, located near the top of where the sarciod was. I am going to call the vet on Monday to see if there is something she can do or reccomend, but wanted to know what your proud flesh remedies were.

I have used preporation H before on things like legs and had great results, but Im not sure if it would work in this location or not...

Thanks!

LaraNSpeedy
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:12 PM
I have scoured the area before and put scarlett oil on it and covered that with wonder dust. Its an old remedy but its worked well.

Almost Heaven
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
Depending on the size of the lesion, I also like wonder dust.

jcotton
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
Are you sure it is not regrowth of the sarcoid tumor?

Reiter
Aug. 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Another vote for Wonder Dust. Have been using that stuff for over 20 years. It works great! :yes:

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:02 PM
Its not regrowth of the sarciod. The area itself looks great, hair is starting to grow, skin looks good. The vet had removed about the size of two silver dollars.

The area that is proud flesh is about the size of a dime, maybe 1/4 "tall" or thick. It is def. proud flesh.

clanter
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:04 PM
I was looking to see if Wonder Dust was mentioned... used that stuff forty-five years ago

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:05 PM
Here is a picture...although its not a close up.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32873679&l=854f746ffd&id=1380057005

You can see the outline of the area that was removed, with the proudflesh area near the center.

jaimebaker
Aug. 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
Your link doesn't work. I use Equaide for proudflesh. Have yet to see anything do a better job.

NSRider
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:34 PM
If proudflesh is already developed, dermacleanse is a good choice. Scrubbing it off and then applying wonder dust is a great way to get rid of it IF you can scrub the proudflesh off.

Eggplant_Dressing
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
Don't use Wonder Dust if there is a chance the spot will have to be stitched.

I'd use water/banamine to scrub out the proud flesh and let it bleed a second. Pat dry with clean cotton balls/cloth/wrap. Pay dry the best you can and apply Wonder Dust.

My vet said no WD if I think the spot will need a stitch because it is so good at closing a wound and preventing proud flesh, it prevents the tissue fiber from staying rough and healing itself with stitches on top.

D Murray
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:13 PM
Your link doesn't work. I use Equaide for proudflesh. Have yet to see anything do a better job.

Equaide is by far the best stuff on the market for proud flesh.
I have seen it heal things i never thought would be healed properly.
Can't say enough about this product.

Auventera Two
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:59 AM
Tea Pro spray healed a nasty patch of proud flesh on my filly that Wonder Dust just kept irritating and making worse. The vet told me that she has no clue why people keep using Wonder Dust on proud flesh - it is caustic and so irritating. You only make it worse. I don't ever use the stuff, but did on this proud flesh because I'd read it works. Well, lets just say the vet was right. I watched that proud flesh get uglier and angrier every day. Within 24 hours of using the Tea Pro spray, it was scabbed over and looked 100% better. Totally cured it in just a few days.

rcloisonne
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:15 AM
My bet is on a recurrence of the sarcoid. Sarcoids can and often do come back in a different form, i.e., from the verrucous (warty type) to the fibroblastic (proud flesh type) after surgery if other treatments (cryo and/or chemo/radiation) were not started.

Wonderdust and other OTC preparations won't do a thing for sarcoids. You may want to consider Xxterra or one of the other bloodroot based ointments.

Best wishes.

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:11 AM
I am waiting on a call from the vet, so we'll see what she says...Ive asked her to actually come out to make sure its not regrowth...I dont think it is, but it could be I guess.

This is my first experience with a sarciod of this size, so its possible that it is and I just dont know it.

Thanks for all of the input!

Mosey_2003
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:54 AM
EQUAIDE hands down

myhorsefaith
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
I am currently taking care of a horse who had a nasty wound on her leg- vet gave me a small jar of stuff called Proudsoff to use- its been working well so far. This is the first time I'm using it- but so far so good.

sapphireamira
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:48 PM
DEFINITLY THE EQUIAIDE! I have seen this product work miracles on two different horses. A friend of mine had a 2 year of cut his leg to the bone, with marks on the bone. They diligently applied the equiaide and you can barely tell there was such an awful injury on his leg anymore. Also my mare decided it would be a lovely idea to kick and another horse on the OTHER SIDE of her fence and managed to gash the front side of her hock right where the joint bends. It was not a pretty injury and she was very lucky it wasn't worse than it was. Because of the location there was really nothing the vet could do. I applied the equiaid for several months as the injury healed and now, 2 years later there is a this scar and that is all. The scar tissue and proud flesh were very minimal and she has no limits with range of motion. I highly reccomend this product!

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 8, 2011, 03:08 PM
Well, after texting my vet pictures she seems to be on the same page as those that said sarciod regrowth.

She is going to make a trip out to be sure and will treat as needed.

jcotton
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:12 PM
I would try Crest (plain original) toothpaste, if you wanted to try the cheap route to get rid of the sarcoid. Or you could do the more expensive route of Cysplatin and sesame oil treatment.

Sarcoids are re-occurring and a pain to deal with. been there done that with them on a couple of different horses. The surgical route did not work on one(mamy, many years ago) and the cysplatin/sesame oil was a great success on the latest (a couple of years ago).

BoyleHeightsKid
Aug. 9, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have had wonderful results with GranulexV. Keeps the proudflesh away and promotes healing with minimal scarring. Love the stuff!

ParadoxFarm
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
I am dealing with proud flesh right now on a pastern. My vet is having me use a compound from Riddle and Rood. It's doing a great job. You need a rx for it, but it's good stuff. http://www.rrvp.com/coldstreampharmacyllc/proudfleshointment.htm

cloudyandcallie
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:10 PM
For proud flesh but NOT for sacroids: The old remedy I got from a QH trainer when I went to the feed store to get something for the horse my friend leased (at owner's barn but owner did not take care of wound and my friend was inexperienced) :

meat tenderizer and neosporin. Mix and apply daily. Worked like a charm. (Store was out of wonder dust so I've never tried it.)

But make sure it's not the sacroid and is proud flesh before you treat it with anything for proud flesh. And don't get it in the horse's eye.

jlrcoats
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:01 PM
Equaide........highly recommed it!

Equibrit
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:16 PM
Another vote for Equaide. http://www.equaide.com/

Mare mom
Aug. 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
Equaide or 'Liquid Gold' as I call it :lol: (those of you who use this awesome product and pay the $40 for 2 oz. understand!)
Unbelievable product, works great on all kinds of skin injuries.

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:00 PM
Just ordered some of the equaide...I figure if the stuff is THAT good it cant hurt to have it around!

Went out today and the area appeared to be about twice the size as it was on Sunday. This horse LOVES to rub his head in dirt, mud, etc...so I am not sure if he has managed to irritate it or if its growing.

Regardless, the vet will be out Thursday to have a look at it. Id rather be safe than sorry and stay ahead of it as much as possible. Its just too close to his eye for me to feel safe fooling around with too much.

Thanks for all of the great proudflesh remedies!!!

Mosey_2003
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, the Equaide is definitely worth the enormous price for the tiny pot of it!

birdsong
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
[
:

meat tenderizer and neosporin. Mix and apply daily. Worked like a charm. (Store was out of wonder dust so I've never tried it.)

But make sure it's not the sacroid and is proud flesh before you treat it with anything for proud flesh. And don't get it in the horse's eye.[/quote]

This is what I was going to suggest!

OTTB FTW
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
Something else to try:
In past, applying alternating Wonderdust and antibiotic ointment has always worked for me.
Then encountered a stubborn heel area. Had antibiotic ointment from vet with steroid in it. No help. Tried Wonderdust, a bit helpful, pressure bandage, all kinds of things.
Dermagel worked wonders, applied once per day after GENTLY hosing area and drying:

http://www.horsewound.com/home.php

After a month and a half of struggles with proud flesh, took a week of Dermagel to heal.

WARNING: just tested my link and saw very graphic injuries on page.....

KSAQHA
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
*raises hand*...another Equide believer, here. Had a 2-yr old reopen a particularly nasty wire cut on her coronet, which then required casting. Well, that lasted a whole 3 days...I was at my wits end trying to find something that would start healing it and prevent proudflesh. So, I 'splurged' and ordered the tiny pot o' gold. Within two days, the wound started to close up (a chunk of flesh had been torn away) and I was astounded. It only got better from there.

It will dry up in the pot, but can be reconstituted with sterile water.