PDA

View Full Version : Envirotile from Home Depot for barn aisle

inca
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have been searching for something to put down on my concrete aisle to make it less slippery. (Contractor didn't get it rough enough in several large areas.)

Standard 4x6 mats from TSC are hard to work with and I think will shift enough to be a pain.

Just looked at envirotile, which are 18" x 18" rubber tiles that go together with plastic connectors on the underside. These seem ideal since they are an easy-to-work with size and fasten together.

It will cost about twice as much as mats (around 2,300) so would like to make sure they will be suitable.

tasia
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
You could just screw the mats down if you have a concrete aisle. Mine are fitted down the center aisle and the mats on either end are screwed down with concrete screws.

clanter
Aug. 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
you may want to apply a sealer coat to the concrete surface with a product called Shark Grip added to the sealer...."Slip Resistant Additive is a micronized polymer to be stirred into H&C coatings for slip resistance, fine texturing and gloss reduction."

Polymers have been found to be better anti-slip agents

http://hc-concrete.com/products/shark-grip-prep-products/Shark_Grip_Slip_Resistant_Additive/

Another opition is to etch the surface with an acid wash

(I hate light weight mats as if a horse stops suddenly the mats will shift with the horse)

Foxyrab
Aug. 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think they would work well at all for your purpose.

I put some of those Envirotiles down outside one of the "people doors" going into the barn and can't get the plastic connectors or clamps to stay in position and hold the tiles together. The tiles are constantly shifting around under my weight -- they would be shifting all over the place under the weight of a horse.

I think you'd be much happier with some of the other ideas people have suggested.

Calvincrowe
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:14 PM
I used the 1/4 inch rolled rubber mat available by the foot (I bought the whole roll) at my local farm supply store (like a TSC). 4 feet wide, used two rolls to run the length of my barn aisle. It is light enough that I can move it, heavy enough at that length to stay put and has held up very nicely. Cheaper than regular mats, very functional, too.

inca
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
Calvincrowe - I looked into that rubber available in a roll and thought it might do the trick. But, it does not come in a long enough roll to do m aisle. My barn is 64' long. I didn't think having a seam would work very well. Would be interested to know if the roll did the entire length of your aisle.

Calvincrowe
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:46 AM
No, it didn't do the whole aisle, so I do have a seam. Not a big deal, so far. It's weird, even though it is lighter than the rectangular 'stall mats', it stays put better. I think it is because it is so long and all in one piece. I have 4 sections--each 30 feet long, side by side, so I have two very long "seams" and two 4 feet wide. Again, it has done a good job. I can even drive my truck on it when I bring hay or pellets in to unload. I suppose I could just glue them down, (concrete floor) but haven't seen the need.

Robin@DHH
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:24 PM
If the problem is slippery concrete rather than hard flooring, you might be able to rough up the concrete.
In dairy country there are companies that will come
to the barn with a machine that will cut scratches into
the concrete to roughen it and improve traction for
the animals.

LetsGoSteady
Aug. 8, 2011, 05:29 PM
Here's another thing to look into, I've been seeing ads for it around lately:

http://polylastsurfaces.com/equine-solutions

It's some kind of spreadable rubber that hardens into a mat. No idea on how it performs, but if it's cost effective it might be worth looking into.

Tom King
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
I Googled "concrete grinding Brenham TX" and found plenty of contractors that can help you out.

The cheapest solution will be to have the concrete ground to a finish that you want, if that's what you want.

Thanks for listing your location. I don't even bother to answer a lot of times when locations aren't listed, or listed as something silly.