PDA

View Full Version : XC course decorations that are a bit distracting?

OverandOnward
Aug. 6, 2011, 12:27 AM
a bit commercial?
a bit over the top?
possibly? maybe?

These are in the best interests of the horses because _____ (fill in blank please, I do not know the answer.)

http://eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/assets_c/2011/08/IMG_0905-thumb-500x333-7062.jpg
http://eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/assets_c/2011/08/IMG_0906-thumb-500x333-7064.jpg

and of course
http://eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/assets_c/2011/08/IMG_0841-thumb-500x333-7005.jpg
rustic, yep

That's Gatcombe, posted off EN. Reckon Burghley will have more of the same sort of thing.

(Well the little shaver is adorable, anyway.)

Well, I'm glad Land Rover forked over the money so we do get to have some awesome HT's. Hey whose sponsoring the Olympic cross-country?

[Spin off from the thread about the decoration in Rebecca Farm show-jumping that scared horses.]

atheventer85
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
I think compared to Red Hills in 2008 these are quit tame. The cheese with the mouse in the middle that caused all the problems was over the top to me. The AEC last year had a few fences like this, and overseas this is quite the norm.

nomeolvides
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:40 PM
Isn't that third picture the start box? Does it really matter if that is rustic or not? :)

GingerJumper
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'm already popping popcorn for this... If the Rebecca Farm debate over Apocalypse (the horse :lol: ) was any indicator, this should be gooooood.

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
and of course
http://eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/assets_c/2011/08/IMG_0841-thumb-500x333-7005.jpg
rustic, yep

That is the back side of the fence...so the picutures taken from the back show all of that but that isn't what the horse would see. I'd be curious as to what the approach is.

retreadeventer
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:45 PM
Land Rover is a huge sponsor of events in Britain, and here in the US -- they sponsored the US three-day event team at the WEG. By "sponsor", read "pay for". It is very difficult to promote horse sports and companies that help out are to be revered, sucked up to, and thanked.

They may want certain things because they need to get some bang for their buck. They need logos and product in the photos people take of the horses. They need public awareness, and they need to have receptive audiences to buy the products and enjoy what they have to "sell" at the event.

When a major supporter wants this kind of exposure and is willing to basically give you the funds to put the darn thing on, you do what you must to keep them. In Europe, as was pointed out, this is the norm. We are just now getting the sort of idea that jumps need to become sponsorship tools in America.

This means decor, background, shapes, logos, colors that support the supporters. One hopes the designer has a good idea of what taste, color, design and compatibility are and can apply them to jumps and obstacles; less is more in most cases; but sponsors must be gently steered to support beautiful, natural obstacles whenever possible and happily, most organizers are good at coordinating that.

I think trying to make things less beautiful, less inviting, or dull and lifeless is not a good goal of course design. Filled-in fences are safer as well as being easier for the horse to see and jump well. I don't think the ones linked to are out of alignment with that concept. I love a beautifully finished course with lots of flowers and color!

nomeolvides
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
That is the back side of the fence...so the picutures taken from the back show all of that but that isn't what the horse would see. I'd be curious as to what the approach is.
I think it is the start box.

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think it is the start box.

I think you are right....yeah that is kinda loud!

gold2012
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:45 PM
They do look impressive.....and "fun"..... Quote from my daughter....sigh. Where is that darn Valium!

NSRider
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
At least the first two shots with the suvs on the bridge could be based on horses literally being ridden under a road with cars passing over it...
A bit of a stretch, but I can at least see how it could apply to the every day question a horse would have to answer when hacking out... perhaps...

groom
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:52 PM
The AEC last year had a few fences like this, and overseas this is quite the norm.

Do you have a picture, or at least a description of this AEC fence? Which level?

I have no recollection of any fences at Chat Hills being "extravagantly" decorated.