PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear your seatbelt on your tractor?

katyb
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm just curious.

shakeytails
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:13 PM
Only if I'm doing something hairy that I probably shouldn't be doing- like mowing ditches, steep hills or bush-hogging that one overgrown fenceline that I know has a big 'ol sinkhole/washout along the edge, but I can't quite remember where.

Alagirl
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:16 PM
more important question though: Is that roll bar up?!

wsmoak
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:19 PM
(Answering for DH who generally operates the big tractor.)

Yes, when doing things that could tip it over like lifting heavy stuff with the front loader, brush hogging on a slope or in the woods where there are holes and swales you can't always see.

The other half of this question is: Do you have the roll over protection bar up and locked in place?

It takes both to keep you from getting squashed if you tip it over.

SLW
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes to the belt and roll over bar, always use them.

Wayside
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure I've ever driven a tractor that had a seatbelt or a rollbar, honestly. Two of them I drove at farms that were very level, though, and the one I used at the barn that was hilly was an ancient Oliver.

And I've never owned a tractor myself, with just a couple horses at home.

ReSomething
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm afraid ours doesn't have seatbelts anymore, someone cut them off years ago. We do have the ROP.

Rules at work were seatbelts on forklifts all the time, even on a flat warehouse floor, and we had one guy get saved by his when the truck driver pulled away from the dock just as he was entering the truck, the forklift stayed in the truck in the front and the back fell four feet to the ground. It wasn't a fun ride but the FL operator stayed inside the cage and didn't get thrown out and further injured.

oldpony66
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
lol! Not always, but I do when the going gets bumpy or I'm on a slope. There's one part of my pasture that is very uneven and I feel like I'm going to be bounced right off the seat (this could possibly be corrected by slowing down, but...) and I have been laughed at. Roll bar always up!!!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:38 PM
most of the time. Tonight when I was spreading railroad ballast on the edge of our pond, I decided I wanted to be able to leap out if I drove into the drink, so left it off. Tractor has built in roll bar, and I'm glad of it.

Alagirl
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure I've ever driven a tractor that had a seatbelt or a rollbar, honestly. Two of them I drove at farms that were very level, though, and the one I used at the barn that was hilly was an ancient Oliver.

And I've never owned a tractor myself, with just a couple horses at home.

LOL, good grief...I didn't think you were old enough to remember rollbar less tractors!!!:lol::lol:

All kidding aside, I find this incredible that thee are still tractors around without rollbars....I know it has been law in Germany for at least 25, closer to 30 years....

deltawave
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
Yes if I'm doing anything remotely near the sloped/ditchy parts of the property. Mostly that means brush-hogging or harrowing. Otherwise, for moving poop back and forth at 1 mph, no. :lol:

Wayside
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:18 PM
LOL, good grief...I didn't think you were old enough to remember rollbar less tractors!!!:lol::lol:

Thank you! :lol:

For sure the Oliver was significantly older than I was at the time. I was thinking it was a 50's model, but I'm not positive. It was a relic, that's for sure. I had to do some minor work on the wiring because it would shoot sparks when you started it, and I was afraid it would start the barn on fire :lol:

CobJockey
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:22 PM
A lot of you have mentioned having both the seatbelt and the rollbar, but I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder that if the tractor does not have a rollbar, do NOT wear your seatbelt! It's safer to have a chance at maybe getting thrown clear than to risk certain death by getting pinned under the full weight of the machine.

mht
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:22 PM
Seatbelt? Rollbar? Both of our tractors are 45+ years old! LOL Don't do much with them except cutting the field and spreading manure...both on very level ground.

King's Ransom
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yes, I wear the seat belt every time. It's just a good habit to get into, and things can sneak up on you so fast. Rollbar is built-in.

fordtraktor
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:39 PM
On my tractor? No, I live in Indiana. Not going to roll over here. On the family farm in West Virginia, pretty often, any time we are going somewhere hilly. We've got a few antiques from the 40s and 50s still in use for tobacco planting, hay and whatnot, no rollbars or seatbelts on those things. But those are also not used for hill work.

A farmer a few farms down the road rolled over with a roll bar and seatbelt, ended up pinned face down and drowned in a mud puddle when I was a kid, though -- not even a roll bar is perfect. The first rule of farm life is to be careful and respect the farm equipment.

My Two Cents
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:44 PM
We added a roll bar on our older tractor. We always wear the seat belt on the road. Roll bar does not do any good if you are not with the tractor if it rolls. Then it depends on what job we're doing if it is worn while working.

MistyBlue
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:45 PM
ROPS up? Yes, always wear the seatbelt. ROPS doesn't do crap to protect anything if you land under it.

ROPS down? No, absolutely not. The idea is to be able to (try to) jump clear if it tips or rolls since there isn't a roll bar up.

And I do drive my tractors with the ROPS down in certain situations. Driving through the woods mainly. I have pretty heavy woods surrounding me and the ROPS just keeps hitting and breaking branches or getting hung up if it's up in the heavy woods.

On the bigger NH tractor the ROPS is never down when I'm on it though. It's too wide to fit into the heaviest of the woods anyway, plus I'm small and kinda light and it's a bouncy tractor. If I don't strap myself down tight, my arse flies off the seat with every bump and bounce and the engine starts stalling from the seat safey shut off, LOL!

cssutton
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:47 PM
There is more to it than roll overs.

If you are elderly and have any health problems, do you really want to pass out and get "mulched" by the bush hog?

We have had two instances of that in my neighborhood.

We have also had three neighbors rolled on. One drowned in the lake, one killed and one crippled to the point that it shortened his life.

The last bush hog death was one farm over from ours and happened just a couple of months ago.

I use mine anytime I am not on one of our farm roads.

A seat belt would not have prevented the drowning death. I included that one only to make the point that rollovers have consequences.

CSSJR

Alagirl
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:02 PM
Thank you! :lol:

For sure the Oliver was significantly older than I was at the time. I was thinking it was a 50's model, but I'm not positive. It was a relic, that's for sure. I had to do some minor work on the wiring because it would shoot sparks when you started it, and I was afraid it would start the barn on fire :lol:

ROFLMAO, kinda reminds me of the olden days....
"Dad, do we take the old Unimog (TM) or the new one?"
the old one was 25 years old, the new one 15 or so...:lol: (Unimog is a Mercedes all terrain vehicle, mix of big truck and tractor. Nice to have, faster than a tractor, stronger than a truck...not as cool as a Hummer though, but much older in concept)

(but all tractors had to be retro fitted with roll bars no excuses for old machinery if you where using it.)

naturally not all accidents can be prevented by rollbars and/or seat belts!

horsepoor
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:23 PM
ROPS up? Yes, always wear the seatbelt. ROPS doesn't do crap to protect anything if you land under it.

ROPS down? No, absolutely not. The idea is to be able to (try to) jump clear if it tips or rolls since there isn't a roll bar up.

Exactly.

Of course, none applies to me as I don't drive the tractor. It scares me, so I leave it for the SO. I use the "garden tractor" (riding mower) only!

shakeytails
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
A lot of you have mentioned having both the seatbelt and the rollbar, but I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder that if the tractor does not have a rollbar, do NOT wear your seatbelt! It's safer to have a chance at maybe getting thrown clear than to risk certain death by getting pinned under the full weight of the machine.

Absolutely true! But most tractors without a ROPS don't have a seatbelt, either.

The first rule of farm life is to be careful and respect the farm equipment.

And don't become complacent. DH was a first responder when he was 18-19 years old and saw too many farm accidents in that short period of time- he quit. He absolutely will NOT step over a spinning PTO- he saw a kid's leg ripped off. Unclogging a jammed baler- not only does the PTO have to be off, the tractor is shut down.

Several years ago DH was one of the lucky ones to have a tractor rollover and live to tell about it. It was a steering malfunction on a neighbor's tractor in the worst possible place, and DH is a very experienced operator. Fortunately it was a cab tractor- he just got banged up and sliced his head open on the radio knob- but it was scary enough for the farm owner to drive 90mph to get DH to the hospital! I wished I'd gotten pictures of that tractor upside down in the ditch- it was scary looking.

sk_pacer
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
Have a cab on the John Deere and and it, like all modern cabs, has built in roll bars. Never put the seat belt on - too damned hard to look around and see what is going on behind me with it done up. Have three tractors without roll over bars: 730 Case, 830 Case and an antique Minneapolis-Moline Model U.

Wayside - the first tractor I ever drove by myself was an Oliver 66.

karlymacrae
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:22 AM
No - our tractor and gator don't have roll bars.

msj
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:00 AM
My farm is very flat so I rarely use the seat belt as I'm not going up/down/sideways on a hill. I will use one if I'm using the bucket for a load of gravel or stones because the wt may cause the tractor to tip especially if the bucket isn't loaded evenly. Most of the time though I try to not fill the bucket anyway with something heavy like that.

The tractor has a permanent built-in top and windshield and the frame for an enclosed cab for winter with the snowblower. I can remove all the enclosed material but the top and windshield for summer.

katyb
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wow - that's a lot of responses for one day!

We (finally) bought a tractor - the Bobcat I posted last week. It does have ROPS, and I am wearing my seatbelt. My friend,whose tractor I borrowed previously, doesn't wear her seatbelt. She said her salesman told her that you are more likely to jump clear in an accident than be proected by the ROPS and seatbelt. My opinion was that he is probably one of those guys who thinks he is safer on the highway without a seatbelt too. Most of what we mow is flat, so the danger is minimal, but since I am telling my son he HAS to wear the seatbelt anytime he starts the tractor, I feel like I should too. It is another hot thing on your body when it's 95 out, but that beats being squashed. I got about ten acres bush hogged last night, and we used the finish mower on our (unoccupied) front pasture the day before, and it looks gorgeous!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:38 AM
Along with hills and uneven loads, guy wires can flip a tractor. I'm pretty cavalier about many things, but tractor stability isn't one of them!!

airhorse
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:22 AM
Oh crap, now I want a Unimog....

kinnip
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
I used to ignore the seatbelt, but a couple of years ago two business acquaintances were killed by rollovers. One guy was in a Bobcat, the other on his mower. I figure if I know two folks who died that way, there must be many, many more. Now I'm seatbeltin' it.

Wayside
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:29 AM
Wayside - the first tractor I ever drove by myself was an Oliver 66.

Neat! Other than the one I used, I haven't actually seen very many of them.

Equibrit
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:50 AM
No roll bar - no seatbelt. Roll bar locked up - seatbelt.

Alagirl
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
Oh crap, now I want a Unimog....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

Our were about half the size and by far not as fancy! :lol:

Diamondindykin
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
My John Deere does have a roll bar but I don't ever use the seatbelts when using it because my property is flat as a board. It is not very likely that I will roll it turning the manure pile or mowing.

carolprudm
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:46 PM

All kidding aside, I find this incredible that thee are still tractors around without rollbars....I know it has been law in Germany for at least 25, closer to 30 years....
LOL a good diesel trailer should last just aboyt forever if not to badly abused. We sold our 30 year old Massey Ferguson a few years ago for about half its new cost and there are waaaaay older Fords still in use

CHSatwork
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
It's very hilly where I live in SWVA. We wear shoulder harnesses and belts. I wached my neighbor roll down a steep hill in his bobcat. He was shoulder strapped in and came out of that without a scratch but very dizzy. Roll bars and shoulder harnesses are a must here.:yes:

CruzN
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:05 PM
Never wear my seatbelt in the tractors, but the are all ROPS cab tractors...

Alagirl
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:14 PM
LOL a good diesel trailer should last just aboyt forever if not to badly abused. We sold our 30 year old Massey Ferguson a few years ago for about half its new cost and there are waaaaay older Fords still in use

Shucks, you can actually repair those old tractors.

I am relatively sure that my cousin still runs the machines his dad upgraded to back in the 80s (kinda weird tho, the family farm that feed a lot of people is now a side gig to his banking carrier...)

alabama
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:45 PM
If I'm bush hogging, I use both the roll bars and the seat belt. My little pasture is terraced. It's not really hilly but enough to make me worry.

frisky
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't know anything about tractors, but just wanted to add another story for tractor safety.

At age 60, my dad was seriously injured in a tractor rollover. He had been driving a tractor his whole life. I believe he flipped it working around the dam of a pond, but not sure. I would also guess that the tractor had no safety devices as he always drove old tractors. He was pinned under his tractor for 90 minutes while it was running. He had a pocket knife. A neighbor found him and he was life flighted and lost his leg a week later. It seriously affected the quality of his life as he basically lost his farm.

Joyrider
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
I do indeed buckle up on our Bobcat utility vehicle at work! Usually only when my coworker is driving. She just laughs when I state "I am not going anywhere with you until I buckle up!".

Bluey
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
Our bobcats have a rigid seatbelt built in, you can't drive it without it being in place.

Even with cabs, use the seat belt, because if you roll over, you can get beat up in the cab as if you were a coffee bean in a mixmaster.

Driving our bulldozer with a cab, especially in the steep canyon roads, I always used the seatbelt.
I know a fellow killed when his dozer rolled down the mountain and he was not using the seatbelt.

My JD gator came with rollbar and seat belts, but I don't go fast enough to use them and the little dog doesn't fit in them.;)

DressageFancy
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:00 PM
My neighbor was killed this past Tuesday because he didn't have his tractor seat belt on. Huge tractor with roll bar & enclosed cab. Broadsided by a car that rolled the tractor. He was thrown out the door and the tractor landed on him. Very sad for the whole local communtiy.

KSAQHA
Aug. 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hmmm, this is a good question for the DH...he drives a big IH enclosed-cab beast and mows a more hilly area.

Me? I mow a flatter expanse, and while the smaller JD has a built-in roll bar, I've never used the seatbelt...besides, it might wrinkle my dress. ;)

Alagirl
Aug. 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, this is a good question for the DH...he drives a big IH enclosed-cab beast and mows a more hilly area.

Me? I mow a flatter expanse, and while the smaller JD has a built-in roll bar, I've never used the seatbelt...besides, it might wrinkle my dress. ;)

Green Acres?

Anon40something
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:26 PM
If the bushog is running, and I don't care if I'm on the perfectly flat part, yes. Always. If those murderous blades are turning behind my tractor... YES. The ROPS always stays up as well, even though I get smacked with a branch every now and then.

If I hop on the tractor to take a load of muck in the front end loader to the pile, I don't always put it on.. but I SHOULD. If your ROPS is up, that seatbelt should be on. The ROPS isn't going to help you if you are thrown out of the seat and pinned beneath it. If I start thinking about being pinned under that roll bar while I'm on the tractor, I stop and put my seatbelt on. *chuckle* But to be honest, I don't always think of it for a quick trip on the flat to carry something out.

VelvetsAB
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:04 PM

My grandparents have an older John Deere that has no rollbar and no seat belt. So obviously they, nor I use either. They also had a Massey that lacked either safety feature.

I found out a few weeks ago that they have had the JD for 30 years now. They bought it used. Still runs like a champ!!

Sings "Greeeeen Acres is the place to be! Faaarm living is the life for mee!"

anchodavis
Aug. 8, 2011, 07:03 AM
Always, with the roll bar up. When the roll bar is down (which it sometimes is for storage) I don't wear the seat belt, which is how you're supposed to do it. Although ideally the roll bar is always up. :)

KSAQHA
Aug. 8, 2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by KSAQHA...
Me? I mow a flatter expanse, and while the smaller JD has a built-in roll bar, I've never used the seatbelt...besides, it might wrinkle my dress.

Green Acres? Hah! Nope, that was in reference to a commercial...way back in the late 60's, maybe early 70's...promoting the use of auto seatbelts. People were stating reasons why they DIDN'T wear them. A woman claimed it would wrinkle her dress, then the screen flashed to her in a full body cast.

Probably from way before your time. ;)

Alagirl
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by KSAQHA...
Me? I mow a flatter expanse, and while the smaller JD has a built-in roll bar, I've never used the seatbelt...besides, it might wrinkle my dress.

Hah! Nope, that was in reference to a commercial...way back in the late 60's, maybe early 70's...promoting the use of auto seatbelts. People were stating reasons why they DIDN'T wear them. A woman claimed it would wrinkle her dress, then the screen flashed to her in a full body cast.

Probably from way before your time. ;)

shucks, I had the vision of Lisa Douglas...:lol:

Yep, not much TV for me in the 70s...

Simbalism
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:32 AM
I'm a nurse and have taken care of a man that was knocked off his tractor while bushhogging near the edge of a field where tree branches hung down. It was not pretty and he did not live very long due to his severe injuries.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
If the ROPS are up, yes, most certainly. Only exception is the odd time I am mowing on a slope near water. Then I would rather bail and take the chance of the tractor rolling on me vs trying to get the seatbelt undone underwater.

If the tractor does not have ROPS, I won't wear a seatbelt; I want to be able to bail out if needed.

Lady Counselor
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
Always. And why would you NOT have the ROPS in place?

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:52 PM

Coming in and out of the garage.
Inside the barn.
In the woods with low branches.

Other than that, ROPS up. :yes:

rmh_rider
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
2 weeks ago a gentleman aged 60 ish fell off his tractor and the tractor bush hogged him over. IOW the tractor ran over him and he was literally mowed.

He was mowing along a road.

I think, not sure and it was not published, he more than likely had a heart attack or stroke or ?????? and fell off.

1 week afterwards a child of 5 was driven over while the driver of the tractor was mowing and had child on his lap. Also another man, killed. Tractor drove over him too.

Stupid we all say, and sad. And you *say* oh yeah how stupid in hind sight. It is those who are still alive who can point fingers and say you were stupid to do blah blah blah.

Maybe someday when you do not wear your seatbelt and come off your tractor we can then point fingers and say oh how stupid that person was to not take more precautions.

Regardless of your age, lifestyle, how you mow, what you mow, etc

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT.

Also ALWAYS set the brake when you get off.

Many people die or are maimed when they become separated from their tractor.

If yours doesn't have one, get one on there. You have to be very safe around tractors, period.

I always wear mine each and every time even backing it out of the barn. I want to never have to experience nor my loved ones being driven over by my tractor. I do have a roll barn on my tractor also.

Alagirl
Aug. 10, 2011, 03:06 PM
Coming in and out of the garage.
Inside the barn.
In the woods with low branches.

Other than that, ROPS up. :yes:

run the ROPS through the woods a few times, I am sure the low branches will be a non issue then :lol:

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
LOL...I've tried that Alagirl. The thicker branches just stop the tractor and make it do a wheelie.

I can live without that type of excitement. :winkgrin:

I'm uber-vigilent on tractor safety. I know way too many people who've had serious injuries from theirs. Someone one town over lost an arm while still on the tractor. Was pointing to something behind the tractor and the PTO grabbed the coat sleeve. :eek: :no:

I have the ROPS up 95% of the time and seatbelt firmly in place. But I'm not about to tear up my barn and garage with the ROPS up. So when parking it, adding an attachment (they're in the garage, it has an i-match so I can connect and go from the seat) or bringing it into the barn...the ROPS comes down and the seatbelt comes off. A seatbelt with the ROPS down is dangerous also. When I'm dragging logs/huge branches into the deep woods the ROPS comes down for some sections of woods, the seatbelt comes off and the tractor only goes at a s-l-o-w crawl. Tires are filled and it has a weight box. And I'm in the process of ripping a trail through with the big rake to remove any lumps, bumps and rocks to avoid any tippy-ness.

But yes folks....do be as careful as humanly possible on a tractor.

yaya
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:15 PM
One year ago this week, a friend's college-age son was killed when somehow he came off the tractor on flat ground and was run over by the running bush-hog.

Here's another question - does your tractor have a kill switch? I guess if you end up under the bush-hog, a kill switch would only have time to slow the blades, not stop them, so maybe it doesn't matter. Can't decide if I'd rather get killed outright by blades at full power, or just horribly maimed by blades slowing down with no power behind them.

KSAQHA
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
If you leave the seat of my JD while in high or low, it automatically kills the engine...which, then kills the mower. I've been reminded of this on a few occasions I've stopped to get off. ;)

CobJockey
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
If you leave the seat of my JD while in high or low, it automatically kills the engine...which, then kills the mower. I've been reminded of this on a few occasions I've stopped to get off. ;)

Ha! That reminds me of my tractor driving final in college. They made us wear the seatbelt, but the seat was broken at the time and stuck into position pretty far back, so in order to clutch I had to scoot up, and I weigh so little that it wasn't enough to keep it from stalling. I killed that thing five times during that final, and about never heard the end of it from the BM (who knew I was a better driver than that and gave me crap for it anyway!)

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:55 PM
Yep, both tractors have the kill switch. Which is why I have to wear the seatbelt...I'm little and regular tractor bouncing tosses me off the seat enough to engage the safety kill switch under the seat. :lol: So just driving around the driveway without a seatbelt to hold me tight to the seat means you can hear the tractor start to stall...then come back to life...then start to stall...then come back to life, LOL!

On the NH, it's big enough that even with everything adjust as far as it goes for a small person...when I have to hold the pedal all the way down or reverse a lot (that one has a rocker pedal...you have to rock it back to reverse) it's enough of a reach that I slide down the seat and the tractor starts stalling. Or when I hit the brake and hold it hard enough to engage the parking brake..my arse comes off the seat to push the brake all the way home and the tractor shuts off anyway.

So I never got into the habit of using the parking brake and putting it in neutral so I can get off and leave it running. The tractors stall when I do that most of the time anyway, so I don't bother. I just shut it off, parking brake and then dismount. Even if I'm hopping right back on and need to restart it again.

Plus I don't have/use/need a bush hog or mower or anything else with moving blades. I use a york rake, a box blade, a TR3 rake, a plow and the FEL. That's it, nothing runs off the rear PTO. Or mid PTO.

I mow the lawn with a ride on lawn mower. It would take some serious talent to mow myself with that. Although if Kathy Bates came over dressed as her character in Misery...I'd stay the heck away from any mower! :eek:

shakeytails
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:56 PM

That would seriously annoy the crap out of me- so if you're hooking up a piece of equipment alone and have to line up the 3pt hitch arms (and can't get both at once) you have to restart the tractor when you get back on to move 3 inches? Or if you stand up to get a better look at whats in front of or behind you? I don't think so. We had a lawnmower like that, DH deleted that safety mechanism.

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
If her JD is like mine...the kill switch doesn't kick in if you put on the parking brake and shift to neutral. Then you can exit off the machine, attach/fix whatever and then hop back on...brake off, shift and move.

But if you just try to hop off with it in gear or without the brake engaged, it cuts the engine off.

My JD mower does the same (without needing to shift to neutral, just need the parking brake on). Engine and PTO blades shut off. It's not a huge pain, you get used to it pretty quick. Especially if you have a dog who likes to leave toys and sticks all over the yard. :winkgrin:

shakeytails
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:47 PM
But if you just try to hop off with it in gear or without the brake engaged, it cuts the engine off.

Yup, it would make me crazy. I always shift into neutral and lock the brakes when I actually get off the tractor. But, when I'm mowing I'll stand up to get a better look at what's ahead of me (the last thing I want to hit is a fawn:no:), or stand up to look behind me, like if I'm backing something up or the baler makes a funny noise- or sometimes just to stretch my legs!

Alagirl
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
LOL...I've tried that Alagirl. The thicker branches just stop the tractor and make it do a wheelie.

I can live without that type of excitement. :winkgrin:

you are not driving fast enough! :lol:

But I hear ya!
can't be too careful around them things.

My dad told me a story once about one of his better educational farms back in Germany...farmer had his arm ripped off by on of them dohicky gismos that power the machinery from the tractor...
They were able to sew it back on, but the arm was never the same, the guy pretty much had to give up farming...:no:
And he was a very careful guy...

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:27 PM

Many older tractors don't have ROPS. We have one that doesn't'; it is the oldest of the 3. The big one is a cab tractor. The "little one", which is the newest, has ROPS but you can also take them down if "needed" (ie to get in under low clearances)

Alagirl
Aug. 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
Many older tractors don't have ROPS. We have one that doesn't'; it is the oldest of the 3. The big one is a cab tractor. The "little one", which is the newest, has ROPS but you can also take them down if "needed" (ie to get in under low clearances)

But all kidding aside, the old ones ought to be retro fitted.

Like I said, some 20+ years ago it became law in Germany and honest to goodness, I don't think I have seen even an old tractor (in use, not just for parades) without one!

JSwan
Aug. 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=Alagirl;
They were able to sew it back on, but the arm was never the same, the guy pretty much had to give up farming...:no:
And he was a very careful guy...[/QUOTE]

I'm rather clumsy, and that is the main reason I refuse to bale my own hay.

I always keep the ROPS up, but if I don't put the belt on it sort of defeats the purpose. Still, if I'm climbing on and off the tractor a lot, I just dont wear it. Hopefully I will not have to pay a stupid tax....

MistyBlue
Aug. 11, 2011, 08:09 AM
Shakeytails...makes sense if you're standing up often to see. That would drive a person bonkers then.

you are not driving fast enough!

LOL...not fast enough??? Even if you floor the pedal a tractor can't break the speed of smell. :lol:
As I'm racing towards a low branch at 5 eye-watering mph...the tree has time to watch, figure out what I'm up to and brace itself for the low speed impact. :D (then the tree giggles)

I'm rather clumsy, and that is the main reason I refuse to bale my own hay.

Yup, same here! I won't get within 20 feet of mower, tedder or baler.

Just this week I took a header into a new drainage ditch. I was on foot. Standing still. This was shortly after the guy who dug the ditch had suggested I plan on putting up a fence of barrier to avoid that. :rolleyes:

JSwan
Aug. 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
Never try and dump manure over a fence in a headwind.

You cannot outrun ground bees on a tractor.

If you think you won't get your tractor wedged between two trees... You are wrong.

Equibrit
Aug. 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
Don't assume that holes cannot open up in your pasture.
Don't assume that the tractor can avoid said hole.

AnotherRound
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
I didn't read any of this thread. ALL I can think of is, seat belt??? If that sucker tips over, I want to be able to jump clear.

How many farm and equipment accidents and deaths are from being caught on equpment one can't get free from? I would never, ever wear a seat belt on a tractor.

The only reason for a seat belt is to save you from hitting the windshield at high speed. ON a tractor, you aren't going anywhere near a windshield. If it tips or falls or stops, I want out of it right away.

Remember, if you get off the seat, the engine stalls and stops. If you have an accident, and are strapped in, the engine is still going, and you are in deep doo doo.

Seat belts on tractors? Gotta be crazy, or else unexperienced.

AnotherRound
Aug. 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
Never try and dump manure over a fence in a headwind.

You cannot outrun ground bees on a tractor.

If you think you won't get your tractor wedged between two trees... You are wrong.

I am laughing so much. I can imagine - putting along, I put the the engine into "rabbit" and look back - bees getting closer - come on, come on, dang, a hill, come on, dang, I could jump out and run faster than you, tractor - come on, ow, ow, OW!! And I jump off, swatting and running, tractor left to be stung all over stuck between two trees. OW!!

MistyBlue
Aug. 11, 2011, 11:07 PM
AR..tractors that have a roll over protection bar (ROPS) are made so that if the tractor tips over, the bar keeps the tractor from crushing the driver. If the driver is not wearing a seatbelt, the driver most often ends up under the bar or the tractor.

Tractor drivers aren't "thrown clear" because no tractor accidents are at high speeds. Nobody gets ejected far if the vehicle was going 5 mph before the accident. You'll end up under the tractor, not thrown clear. And jumping clear of one isn't easy.

But if the tractor doesn't have a ROPS or the ROPS is down, then no seat belt. Otherwise is very dangerous, you will be crushed in a seatbelt if the tractor goes over.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 12, 2011, 05:51 PM
But all kidding aside, the old ones ought to be retro fitted.

Like I said, some 20+ years ago it became law in Germany and honest to goodness, I don't think I have seen even an old tractor (in use, not just for parades) without one!

Right now if I suggested retro fitting that tractor I would get shot. So far this summer he has had to 1) replace the muffler on said tractor (sounds easy, cheap? not) 2) replace a front tire on the "Big" tractor (4WD; not cheap) 3) get hydrolics and PTO output checked and repaired on middle tractor (it is at the tractor dr now waiting parts, then labor, then bill) 4) replaced a well pump 5) replaced the power converter in our LQ trailer 6) fixed the AC on said LQ 7) repair hail damage on my car 8) repair and replace hydrolics on back hoe 9) bury his horse 10) fix the roof of our veyr large equipment building that started to blow off (pulled the boards the metal nails to away from the rafters/trusses!!) 11) replace several trailer tires on the flat bed and bale buggy trailers due the 100+ temps. And there are prob more I have forgotten.

So I think I will just continue to not wear a seat belt in that tractor. I am at less risk of death doing that than if I suggest adding the ROPS!! ;-)

MontanaDun
Aug. 16, 2011, 04:55 PM
Fun with tractor - http://www.neverbluefarm.com/images/f_2010_05_28_tractor3.jpg

Please note that I did not drive said tractor into bog. And the guy who did was likely not wearing a seat belt!

philosoraptor
Aug. 16, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you have a ROPS (roll bar) you need to be wearing it. If the tractor tips, the seat belt is what's preventing you from being squished like a tube of toothpaste between tractor and the ground.

If you have an old tractor without ROPS or if your ROPS is down, there is a debate on whether the seatbelt should be used. If the tractor flips, there is nothing to prevent the seat from crushing you. In *theory* without the seatbelt, one has a chance at landing away. But then again you could just as easily fall off and end under a big wheel.

Personally, I am a big fan of ROPS and think the old tractors should be retrofitted to have them. I am a big fan of safety in general. This isn't just about the seatbelt but also of being aware of the incline one is working on, the speed the tractor is going,awareness of an excessive load in the bucket or hitch, and generally being smart about using the tractor.

CatOnLap
Aug. 17, 2011, 02:53 PM
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/35936e50185c27a46d44c150055e03bbc3f5d3b1.JPG

check it out.
That's our old JD tractor, with ROPS removed by the previous owner and its on a very steep slope, which you can't really tell, but the SO was raising a bucketfull of manure and the tractor fell over sideways. He was not wearing his seatbelt and was able to leap clear, unhurt. The automatic kill switch stopped the motor when he leaped off. We had a heck of a time getting the tractor righted again- called in a buddy's backhoe to do it, and within a week, traded this one in on a newer one with the ROPS and the seatbelt.
We're fans of the Rollbar and belt now.

Bacchus
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
Absolutely. It's not a tractor, but a 6-foot commercial zero turn mower. I LOVE it! It flies. I always wear my seat belt.

I do not wear a seat belt with the smaller zero turn (5-foot) -- I don't think it even has one.

I did not wear one on our older John Deer 750 tractor, either. We sold the tractor because our land is flat and we didn't really need it. Sold the bush hog and mower with it, too, and bought the big zero turn.

Zwarte
Aug. 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
After reading this thread, I think I will start wearing the seatbelt on my tractor (a tiny JD 650).

Thank you for sharing this knowledge.

CapitolDesign
Aug. 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
Very good quote: "There are only three things that can kill a farmer: lightning, rolling over in a tractor and old age."
-Bill Bryson