PDA

View Full Version : Orphaned twin deer

JCS
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:14 PM
A mama deer was hit by a car and killed outside our house last night. Her twin fawns are now alone and at the moment are grazing in our pasture, but they're still really young. Anyone know if there's any way we can help them survive?

jbonifas
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm sure there is someone who does animal rehab. We are lucky to have a wildlife area not far from the house that takes in orphan and or hurt animals. The ones that can be released back into the wild are and the ones that can't are used for teaching. Good luck

JCS
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
Well, I thought of that, but I don't think we could catch them. When I say "in my pasture," I mean they jump in and out at will. Maybe I will call the rehab place and see what they suggest.

Nlevie
Aug. 5, 2011, 06:02 PM
Ahh, good luck finding some help for them. I know there are too many deer, but the fawns are so cute. . .

MistyBlue
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:55 PM
This is really common. (and sad) Most of the time the yoounger deer will tag along/pair up with another doe, a bachelor group, etc.
Some make it, some don't. Deer are actually pretty darned brutal towards their own...does and other young deer/fawns often shove them off or attack them. A good scenerio is when the younger orphan is allowed to tag along behind but will always be last to eat, etc. They strike each other a lot and does are notorious baby-killers.

A great scenerio is a doe who lost their own and may adopt it. Although those will also often chase off or attack other young. Unless it's low doe on the totem pole. Some young females who haven't yet had any babies will also practice mothering an orphan.

Most wildlife rehabbers will not try to catch/take on any young herbivore that's no longer nursing. There are just too many and they're next to impossible to catch anyway.

Nes
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
Call wildlife.
Do not, or let anyone else, attempt to raise them yourself. Do not let anyone tell you to do this. It ends up in a terrible nightmare of red-tape and deer, as wild animals, can be very dangerous full grown when 'tame'.

Alternatively if you just leave them alone nature will take it's course. If they are strong enough they will survive, if they are not they will not. They could become food for a young wolf, or other predator. Ce la vie.

Nezzy
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
at the wildlife center i worked at, they release the fawns in august. i am sure yours are old enough to be ok on their own. If you try to catch them, you will stress them out.

wishnwell
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
I think more than likely they will be ok on their own. Don't handle them yourselves if you do decide to intervene, instead have wildlife deal with them.

HappyTalk
Aug. 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
In our state, you have to let nature take it's course. It is illegal to rehab deer or move them due to cervid wasting disease. Check your state wildlife laws.

JCS
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
at the wildlife center i worked at, they release the fawns in august. i am sure yours are old enough to be ok on their own. If you try to catch them, you will stress them out.

Thanks for this. It's good to know August should be late enough for them to be OK. My neighbor called her friend in animal control, and he basically said the same thing--at this point in the year they may be old enough to be fine on their own.

To be clear, I was never planning on trying to catch them. They are definitely too big and strong to be caught easily. I was thinking more along the lines of putting out some sort of grain or milk replacer for them to find, but in talking to people at the feed store, we decided that wouldn't be good because it would cause them to be dependent on that source of food for life.

I guess I will just keep an eye on them and hope they do OK. I'm actually glad they are twins--at least they have each other.

Nezzy
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:09 AM
they will be ok, likely find a small group and join up with them.