PDA

View Full Version : Custom EBY horse trailer gone wrong...and (hopefully) corrected

spotmenow
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:12 PM
After shopping for over three months, we finally decided on an Eby stock combo. As you know, Eby trailers are not cheap but we went through the whole Sundowner debacle with the frame and wanted to avoid any other such issue. We signed off on a blueprint and everything, put down our deposit and the trailer was made.

My husband took the day off on Wednesday to go pick it up at the dealer (almost 3 hours away) and the inside of the trailer is not lined as agreed in writing and on the blueprints. Additionally, the stall dividers are in the wrong places; one stall is only 36" wide and the others are oversized. Again, not as agreed upon in writing and on blueprints. And, one of the pieces of plexi is damaged. Long story short, the dealer is not being cooperative about the screw up.

Soooo....I just got off the phone with Eby's VP. He wants to modify the trailer stalls to fit the original blueprint by cutting into the side of it and installing a larger escape door and more uprights. And sell it to me for the original price. And wait...this is the best part...they can't start work on it right away because THEY TOOK IT TO AN EXPO instead of shipping it back to the factory; it won't be back to the factory until late next week at the earliest, meaning they won't begin to work on it until the middle of this month. I said no, I want them to build me the trailer they agreed to build 3 months ago because I don't want a modified trailer...that is why I spent all the time going over blueprints and waited months for it to be built. The VP said he's not sure he can do that; he has to contact Mr. Eby and get back to me....Really? This is your idea of customer service? You agreed to custom build me a trailer three months ago, you custom built the wrong trailer and I'm being unreasonable not to want a trailer that has to be carved up and rebuilt in order to match the blueprints that YOU DIDN'T FOLLOW TO BEGIN WITH????

So, if anyone is going to Empire Farm Days this weekend, check out the trailer that is now for sale as far as I'm concerned. Disgusted.

Ironic thing is, we are trading up from a Sundowner, who replaced our frame under warranty with less hassle than I've gone through so far with Eby.

mvp
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:21 PM
After shopping for over three months, we finally decided on an Eby stock combo. As you know, Eby trailers are not cheap but we went through the whole Sundowner debacle with the frame and wanted to avoid any other such issue. We signed off on a blueprint and everything, put down our deposit and the trailer was made.

My husband took the day off on Wednesday to go pick it up at the dealer (almost 3 hours away) and the inside of the trailer is not lined as agreed in writing and on the blueprints. Additionally, the stall dividers are in the wrong places; one stall is only 36" wide and the others are oversized. Again, not as agreed upon in writing and on blueprints. And, one of the pieces of plexi is damaged. Long story short, the dealer is not being cooperative about the screw up.

Soooo....I just got off the phone with Eby's VP. He wants to modify the trailer stalls to fit the original blueprint by cutting into the side of it and installing a larger escape door and more uprights. And sell it to me for the original price. And wait...this is the best part...they can't start work on it right away because THEY TOOK IT TO AN EXPO instead of shipping it back to the factory; it won't be back to the factory until late next week at the earliest, meaning they won't begin to work on it until the middle of this month. I said no, I want them to build me the trailer they agreed to build 3 months ago because I don't want a modified trailer...that is why I spent all the time going over blueprints and waited months for it to be built. The VP said he's not sure he can do that; he has to contact Mr. Eby and get back to me....Really? This is your idea of customer service? You agreed to custom build me a trailer three months ago, you custom built the wrong trailer and I'm being unreasonable not to want a trailer that has to be carved up and rebuilt in order to match the blueprints that YOU DIDN'T FOLLOW TO BEGIN WITH????

So, if anyone is going to Empire Farm Days this weekend, check out the trailer that is now for sale as far as I'm concerned. Disgusted.

Ironic thing is, we are trading up from a Sundowner, who replaced our frame under warranty with less hassle than I've gone through so far with Eby.

Why did they take a sold trailer to an Expo? Was it theirs to take? It would seem that EBY thinks so.

And the VP who says "I'd love to help but I'm constrained." That would frustrate me. Be a buck-stopper or put Mr. Eby on the phone. I'd like to think that since there is a Mr. Eby and this trailer company has a good reputation, and you are telling this story on the internet..... that a resolution will be quick and fair.

As the owner of the company, I think I'd be a little unhappy to hear that first my builders screwed it up and then my VP made someone angry enough that she made her complaint public. From what you say, I think the VP could have been a little smarter in his "damage control" effort.

spotmenow
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:32 PM
Why did they take a sold trailer to an Expo? Was it theirs to take? It would seem that EBY thinks so.

And the VP who says "I'd love to help but I'm constrained." That would frustrate me. Be a buck-stopper or put Mr. Eby on the phone. I'd like to think that since there is a Mr. Eby and this trailer company has a good reputation, and you are telling this story on the internet..... that a resolution will be quick and fair.

They build a good trailer, but apparently customization is not their strong point. So, don't agree to do it then. We worked with their engineer on the plans and then the blueprint wasn't followed. So, start over.

I think they took the trailer to the Expo to see if they can sell it and if so, they will agree to build me a new one; I think telling me he has to talk to Mr. Eby is a way to buy some time while they try to sell the existing one. Regardless of WHY that trailer is at the Expo, telling me that just sent me over the edge. :no:

cssutton
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
They build a good trailer, but apparently customization is not their strong point. So, don't agree to do it then. We worked with their engineer on the plans and then the blueprint wasn't followed. So, start over.

I think they took the trailer to the Expo to see if they can sell it and if so, they will agree to build me a new one; I think telling me he has to talk to Mr. Eby is a way to buy some time while they try to sell the existing one. Regardless of WHY that trailer is at the Expo, telling me that just sent me over the edge. :no:

I have looked at Ebys and they build a great trailer.

Mr. Eby has to be all about quality.

So my guess is that he probably is a pretty tough bird that wants things to be right and the guy you talked to is trying to cover his own butt for making a mistake.

In other words, if he can sell that trailer and take that money and build another for you, he can keep it a secret from Mr. Eby and will not have to suffer an ass chewing from the boss.

Just my guess.

CSSJR

mvp
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I'd like to continue to think of EBY as a great company. There aren't many out there who build such a nice trailer. And they wouldn't be the first company (of any kind) to do what they do well but have a hard time with customization... despite appearances and intention.

I like your second analysis: They wanted time to sell it and cover their loss before they start over on yours. I could see why they'd want to do that and hope you'd be able to wait. Maybe they aren't selling as many trailers as they used to. You put it as "IF they sell it, they'll rebuild." I'd guess that they *knew* they had to rebuild by the time you got from dealer to VP. That would explain why the "sell it" move happened so fast. It may be a good thing that Empire Farm Days was in the near future.

And, yup, I would have rather heard something different from the company than "maybe we can rebuild, maybe we can't." But I'd understand, too, if waiting while they started over was a bit frustrating to you after 3 months' wait and your "hand holding" through the blue-print details. It was wise of DH to look it over and refuse it when he went to pick it up.

Here's to hoping you get this sorted out and a very nice execution of your design in the end!

RainyDayRide
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
In other words, if he can sell that trailer and take that money and build another for you, he can keep it a secret from Mr. Eby and will not have to suffer an ass chewing from the boss.

Looks like it may be a bit late for that ;)

spotmenow
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:22 AM
Since this whole debacle began I've had two people tell me that Eby does not have a good reputation as far as customization goes (one is a friend who therefore bought a 4-Star and the other is a dealer who decided not to carry them as a result of horse people being so detail-oriented;)). No one is disputing that they build a good trailer, I am complaining about the customer service. If they don't want to customize, they shouldn't agree to do so. Period.

BTW, the VP told me that the escape door in the front is SUPPOSED to be big enough to get a horse out? I told him I've never heard of such a thing and his response was that some states are now enacting laws to that effect? I scoured the internet and have found no such evidence. Once more, since enlarging that door is the easiest way to fix the stall sizes, he was trying to get me to agree.

I would love to talk to Mr. Eby and quite frankly apparently that is what to needs to happen at this point. This is not a cheap trailer; I expected better from this company and was willing to pay for it.

Gnalli
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:34 AM
I understand your frustrations and that it was not built to your specs. I am confused though. Why don't you want a horse to be able to fit thru the escape hatch? That is what I hate about my 2 horse bp.

blaster
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
BTW, the VP told me that the escape door in the front is SUPPOSED to be big enough to get a horse out? I told him I've never heard of such a thing and his response was that some states are now enacting laws to that effect? I scoured the internet and have found no such evidence.

Actually, in the last week to 10 days, someone on your very own COTH had a direct link to trailer requirements. i believe it might have been from FMCA site. Anyhow, he is technically correct.

From memory of the above link, livestock trailers were suppose to have 2 doors on different sides of the trailer for use. I imagine that it would be helpful in a roll-over situation, when one door might be blocked.

Is he suggesting doing something like this? Personally, it could be a huge benefit to be able to load the front horse easily.
http://www.mheby.com/horse/victory_horse_trailers.php.

TheJenners
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Quick timeline question: Did your husband refuse to take it on the Wednesday he went to get it, and it then went to the Expo? Or did you return it and say you were dissatisfied, and then it went? I'm trying to figure when something that belonged to you left your possession, and yeah, I'd be pissed!!

PS: if you want to switch to another brand of good trailer, SO and I just got a nice Logan and they are SOOOOOO nice to deal with, the dealer and the company. There was a broken door in the LQ when we bought it, not sure how, and they are making us a new one. Any other little problem and they fix it right away. Awesome service :).

Logical
Aug. 6, 2011, 12:40 PM
I understand your frustrations and that it was not built to your specs. I am confused though. Why don't you want a horse to be able to fit thru the escape hatch?

I second that, why wouldn't you won't the front door as an escape route. A poster on another board I follow had a bad trailering accident where she was rearended. She somehow managed to squeeze her oversized horse through the normal person size escape door. Personally I like the idea of being to get my horses out the front if need be.

Good luck though.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 6, 2011, 12:52 PM
I have nothing to add except that I'm jealous that you're getting an Eby. I think they are the best, hands down. Sorry you've had a problem with them. Hope it all gets fixed.

trina1
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:33 PM
I bought my Eby trailer from the dealer in Blue Ball, PA in December and was very happy with their service. If this situation had happened to me, I guarantee my husband would have been on the phone with Mr. Eby by now, or even better, sitting outside his office waiting to talk to him in person! Good luck.

spotmenow
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:33 AM
Quick timeline question: Did your husband refuse to take it on the Wednesday he went to get it, and it then went to the Expo? Or did you return it and say you were dissatisfied, and then it went? I'm trying to figure when something that belonged to you left your possession, and yeah, I'd be pissed!!

My husband refused to take it, but the VP told me on Friday that he considers it the only trailer they are willing to sell us to fulfill the contract they made with us 3 months ago, which was to be a custom-built trailer, not a carved up and rebuilt trailer. When they get around to fixing it. After they've hauled it all over NYS and used it as a demo model for a week.

It doesn't look like I'm getting an Eby trailer because I'm not paying good money for such poor customer service. I'm certainly not taking that trailer. Unfortunately we are in upstate NY or I would be at Mr. Eby's door on Monday morning. Honestly, if I weren't so busy running my farm, I'd go to the Expo and stand next to that trailer and tell everyone this story....

spotmenow
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:47 AM
I understand your frustrations and that it was not built to your specs. I am confused though. Why don't you want a horse to be able to fit thru the escape hatch? That is what I hate about my 2 horse bp.

This is a gooseneck 3 horse stock combo. The escape door is at the first stall (right behind the tack) on the left. Nothing on the right side. However, I wouldn't want a horse to be visually tempted to go out that door, step first onto the running board and then have to step quite a bit farther down to get to the ground. Obviously in an accident if that is the only option...but I've read quite a few accounts of horses getting hurt trying to go out escape doors and met one years ago who cut open his head and front legs pretty good. I always thought they were for people trying to get out of the trailer after they tie their horse in the first stall. I don't even have one in my current trailer and have to say, I've never even desired one...

back in the saddle
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
EquiSpirit. Great trailers.

Guilherme
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
You've got multiple options, but one is to say, "You breached the contract in a material way; you keep the trailer and return the deposit."

Then go find somebody who'll do the job right.

Or you can "negotiate" and reach a "compromise." The "c" word is not always a "dirty word," but does require that each party give up something valuable.

On a custom built trailer that does not meet the contract specification I'd likely go for Door # 1.

Or, put another way:

Take this trailer and shove it!
I ain't gonna take it home.

G.

Essie
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
Agree, check out www.Equispirit.com

cssutton
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:11 AM
I am not a lawyer, but I was in a business for many years that required contracts because almost all equipment was built to special order.

Most states I am familiar with take contracts very seriously.

You will have no problem getting your deposit back.

So you have two choices, really.

Apply the down to a standard trailer.

Insist on the down being returned and go elsewhere.

You have already made the decision not to accept a trailer that has been butchered.

A letter from your attorney asking for the return of the down and a reminder from him as to the serious consideration courts give to contracts should suffice.

I suspect there is a clause in the contract that states that refusal to accept results in a forfeiture of the down but since this trailer is not the trailer you ordered, that would not fly.

CSSJR

cssutton
Aug. 7, 2011, 10:23 AM
I would also add that you probably purchased from the wrong dealer.

The reason I say this is simply that you as an individual represent only one possible sale.

A really strong dealer represents hundreds of sales. Therefore, a manufacturer will pay a lot more attention to an angry dealer than to an angry customer.

In fact, I question why you are even required to deal with Eby directly. If you purchased through a dealer, the dealer should be resolving the problem to your satisfaction.

Regardless of how the sales contract was written.

CSSJR

vicarious
Aug. 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
Having had both standard and customized from a company in PA. I can sympathize with your situation, and tell you that not all companies are created equal.

Not only did my custom come through as ordered, and on time, but the builder made sure that all the bases were covered, and that everything was top of the line. It turned out far less expensive than the highly advertised trailers.

But then he is a horseman. ;)

UpperFallsFarm
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:10 PM
You ordered a trailer and I would expect it to be built per your order. I would not accept it if it wasn't.

Either get your deposit back or have them build you a different trailer.

I have been to the Eby plant in PA and just do not accept that they can not make a custom trailer to spec. They make trailers! Period! It is their job to do it correctly!

Good luck!

Bogie
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
What a shame! I, personally, would tell them to make me a new trailer or refund my deposit. They signed a contract.

If they didn't start to make friendlier noises, I'd have an attorney send the next letter. I'm not suggesting that you spend a fortune on having yourself "represented" but many attorneys are willing to make the initial contact for you for not much $$. I think they'll start taking you more seriously then.

Good luck!

Ebytrailer
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone,

This is Travis Eby, president of M.H. Eby, Inc., in Blue Ball, PA. Thanks for all or your posts and enthusiasm on this topic. Thanks to all of you who are longtime customers and word-of-mouth enthusiasts of our products. We appreciate you and would not be here without you.

Let me start by saying "thank you" to the poster and customer that selected Eby for her custom trailer. I am very disappointed that we have a dissatisfied customer due to a small but avoidable error on our part. We built our reputation over the years by standing behind what we build, and we will absolutely do that in this case. It is a shame that this situation has had to be aired out for everyone to hear. Regardless, we will do the right thing without prejudice to the customer.

This was a custom built trailer. We build custom every day. It is our specialty. Often, no two trailers we are building are alike. This helps explain why it is easy to make a mistake sometimes...there are so few standards that any deviation can be mistaken by our people as what was ordered. Any custom trailer manufacturer who is being honest with you, will agree with me.

Obviously, the indisputable fact is that we made a mistake on the location of a slant divider. I'm not sure why the mistake happened, but it is our practice to review it to try to avoid it from happening again. In this situation, the divider can be EASILY relocated with the trailer looking the same as it would coming off the line. If I were buying the trailer, that is what I would expect, and as a manufacturer with integrity, it is all I would want to have my name on (the trailer does have my family name on it!)

Also, there is a dispute between the dealer and the customer regarding the rubber liner inside the trailer. Regardless, it can be retrofitted easily. We will be glad to take care of it.

The Eby employee the customer spoke with was Darryl Breniser, VP Sales and Marketing and a 25 year employee of the company. Darryl is well known in the industry and is a true professional and operates with unwavering integrity. He is authorized to handle any situation as he sees fit. In this case, I do not blame him for wanting to talk with me. On our side, we feel our obligation is to deliver the product the customer ordered. Further, I think his idea to make the escape door wider is an excellent recommendation, and even though you hope to never have to use it, a wider door makes for easier egress for the horse in an emergency. If our customer does not want that, however, it is her call.

We would like the opportunity to repair the mistake we made (a 2 and quarter inch mistake).

The reason the trailer is at an external parking lot at the Empire Farm Show (which starts tomorrow) is so that our truck driver can pick up the customer's Horse trailer (today)to be pulled to Blue Ball, PA, for corrective action. Our driver is dropping off display trailers for the show. I understand everyone's theories about trying to sell it there, employees trying to CYA, etc....but there's no truth to it. Period. Just good logistics...and poor communication on our, or our dealer's behalf.

I understand the disappointment our customer must feel. I hate that we made a mistake, but hey, we make mistakes sometimes (are we alone there?). We have the capability to make the situation right. If it ain't right, after that, then we build another trailer. The buck stops with me. I sincerely apologize for the mistake. We just want to fix it.

I have taken a risk at responding to this post. I have opened my company up to untold anonymous replies from whomever chooses to weigh in on the subject. Fire away....if you must! However, I hope I have earned the respect of our customer and those who are truly objective and willing to consider both sides. I have held nothing back. Unless someone states something absurd, this will be my last word on this issue, as I intend to handle the matter privately.

I have not, and will not make any malicious comment about the customer who posted here, and would hope they will do the same. They are a valued customer whom I hope can have restored confidence in us. I understand the frustration and we stand ready to make it right. I will do everything in my power to do so.

It is my understanding that we have reached out this morning to offer all of our proposed remedies to the customer. Please, Spotmenow, feel free to contact me personally at the number below so we can move forward.

Thanks again to the horse trailer buying public for your valued business !

Sincerely,
M. Travis Eby
President
M.H. Eby, Inc.
717 354 1451 (my direct line)

Lady Counselor
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:53 PM
So who is the dealer that is being "uncooperative"? Seems to me the responsibility falls on their shoulders when they place an order for you.

Melelio
Aug. 8, 2011, 03:05 PM
Mr. Eby, you failed to address the fact that the person ordering the trailer does not want a 'corrected' trailer, she wants it built right the first time. I have to agree that I also would not want one 'corrected'.

I ordered a custom trailer from Bee Trailers back in 2000 and it was done in 6 weeks, delivered to my door (for a fair fee) and exactly as I had ordered, for a great price. I would have been rather upset if it came different from how I had ordered it, especially since it was all in writing as to how it should be, that which I paid for.

I have heard many good comments about your company in the past, and I hope this situation will add to that, once the customer is 100% happy. You've found that this forum is a BIG DEAL to a company's reputation. I'm glad you decided to come here and tell your side, and offer to resolve the issue.

spotmenow
Aug. 8, 2011, 04:37 PM
Mr. Eby,
My husband did indeed receive a phone call from a gentleman employed at your PA factory this afternoon. He offered us the same exact solution (altering the existing trailer) that we have already declined twice. Please obtain my phone number from Darryl and call me at your earliest convenience. Or, simply authorize the dealer to refund our deposit so that we may put this matter to rest and move on to another company. I don't really have anything else to say at this point in time except that I am extremely disappointed.

judybigredpony
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:36 PM
Well said Spotmenow

Mr. Eby while I respect you attempt to CYA, to little to late and most certainly "YOUR" 1st response should have been to the customer before your post......You make an excellant product but dropping the ball even once in this economic climate can be devestating.

SGray
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:51 AM
......... Regardless, we will do the right thing without prejudice to the customer.....

........... If our customer does not want that, however, it is her call.....

............I have not, and will not make any malicious comment about the customer who posted here, and would hope they will do the same.....

strange comments there

Somermist
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know why, in this economic environment (or any other really) , companies still refuse to see the forest for the trees. If the customer does not want her custom trailer retro fitted and cut apart to fix the seller's mistakes, then it would be the seller's responsibility to make her what she paid for. Period.

Call the customer directly and either make her trailer the way it was ordered or refund her deposit. That would be the only solution that would seem appropriate.

CAH
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
Having a hard time visualizing the modifications required, however my suggestion would be to allow Mr. Eby to rectify the mistakes as he shared he could without causing too much of a change to the original specs. Perhaps, Mr. Eby, you may also want to think about a 10 percent discount due to your 2 and 1/4 inch mistake.

And Spot, keep an open mind until you see the repair. Then, and only then, should there be dialog about a refund. At least EBY would have a trailer to sell if the repair does not meet your requirements.

And find a new dealer....they should be intervening on your behalf.

SunkenMeadow
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
I love Eby trailers. My husband has dealt with them direct, many times. They do a lot of customization and have a wonderful product. I am actually hoping to go to them this fall to get a 2 +1.

We are lucky enough to be close enough to Blue Ball. But I would think that this matter would be handled quickly & quietly by all concerned, no matter from a dealer or direct. A customer Service goof can happen, sometimes it is better for a company to take one on the chin rather than to lose face.

I applaud Mr Eby for coming on a public forum to address this, although, I too would be disappointed if the "build a correct trailer to specs" option was not put as one of the resolutions. Even if it is just "2 and a quarter inches".

Good luck to all involved. I hope you end up with the wonderful Eby trailer that you ordered, you will be extremely satisfied with the finished product, once you get it.

TimeBandit
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
Mr. Eby,
I have no dog in this fight, however after reading this thread, I would hope that you would build her a new trailer to her specs. She did not pay good money to have a modified trailer that your company screwed up in the first place.

I know that when I am ready to buy a new trailer, it will not be an Eby!

Rye
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
Why not just work on this directly with the company versus crabbing about it on here? It seems like wasted energy.

RainyDayRide
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:03 PM
Why not just work on this directly with the company versus crabbing about it on here? It seems like wasted energy.

I imagine for the same reason people resort to their local Action Line tv segments. She (or her hubby) spoke to a representative of eby and wasn't satisfied with the result. Going public has a way of getting a company's attention.

But note that the EBY president then chose to post here rather than first tracking down her phone number, calling her directly and then posting here later when his customer was satisfied. He's the one with the power to correct his company's mistake.

candyappy
Aug. 9, 2011, 04:07 PM

It was always my understanding that an escape door is for the " human". If you have to get into the trailer or lead a horse in, how else are you getting back out?????

TheJenners
Aug. 9, 2011, 04:08 PM
Wow, I got a bad taste from him coming HERE and telling her to call him. But then I got another bad taste when the OP did the same thing, even with his personal line. It seems no one wants to make the first move, which is rather stubborn and won't make a resolution possible.

That being said, I do feel the OP is in the right. If I order something custom, custom to my specs it shall be!

spotmenow
Aug. 9, 2011, 05:15 PM
I did receive a phone call this morning around 11:00 a.m. from Mr. Eby, with the VP present in his office. The trailer arrived there this morning and was inspected. According to Mr. Eby, two sets of blueprints existed and the incorrect set was used to build this trailer. He did not dispute that the front stall width is incorrect. He also told me that the rubber lining, present on my contract with the dealer, was not present on the order that was placed by the dealer. We agreed that none of that was my fault.

I believe that we have reached an agreement regarding a solution. The solution offered to me today was much different than what was being offered previously. I can't say that I'm happy that I had to go through this, but in all fairness Mr. Eby did investigate and address the issue himself.

BTW - Regarding my reasons for coming here with this issue...the error was discovered last Wednesday. My husband had unsatisfactory conversations with the dealer and someone at the factory on Wednesday once he saw the trailer. I then had two unsatisfactory conversations with the VP on Thursday and Friday before I started this thread. I was out of options, save hiring a lawyer, which I can't afford to do. Would this situation have had a different outcome if I hadn't gone public? I don't know...I hope not, because when a company's reputation goes south, so does your trailer's resale value and hopefully I'm about to own an Eby trailer...

Gnalli
Aug. 9, 2011, 06:49 PM
It was always my understanding that an escape door is for the " human". If you have to get into the trailer or lead a horse in, how else are you getting back out?????

It is actually is for both. If I could design one for my own use, it would have a full size escape door on both sides.

blaster
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
BTW - Regarding my reasons for coming here with this issue...the error was discovered last Wednesday. My husband had unsatisfactory conversations with the dealer and someone at the factory on Wednesday once he saw the trailer. I then had two unsatisfactory conversations with the VP on Thursday and Friday before I started this thread.

Since this is the horse world and there are two people and three opinions, perhaps you should look a bit deeper at your own behavior. Your timeline is a bit incorrect. You started this thread on Wed (3 Aug) which basically stated the same facts, but perhaps didn't get enough dramatic responses:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5767071#post5767071

1) You first discover the issue on Wed, and in less than 24 hrs, you are slamming a company. It's quite the sense of entitlement you have, that they should instantaneously respond to you, when not even headquarters was aware.

My husband took the day off on Wednesday to go pick it up at the dealer (almost 3 hours away) and the inside of the trailer is not lined as agreed in writing and on the blueprints.

2) You have made many nefarious assumptions about the companies ulterior motives (e.g selling off the old trailer at the expo).

3) You have been completely unwilling to accept anything other than what you want. I get that it's a lot of your money. However in the real world, I've yet to see a contract worth hundreds of millions negotiated, that didn't have trade space between parties.

I am very ecstatic that Eby has provided you everything that you wanted. Honestly, I think time will be telling to watch your future threads. My guess is you will completely forget to start a new "I love my Eby trailer" thread.

However, please realize this is probably the exception rather than the rule. Probably best you avoid custom work in the future, if you can't come to grips with the baggage that comes with it.

And for the record, I don't own an Eby trailer (rather a horse van), and I don't have a dog in this fight.

judybigredpony
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:00 PM
3) You have been completely unwilling to accept anything other than what you want. I get that it's a lot of your money. Blaster

Yup sums it up..Her Money Her Custom Order :)

FalseImpression
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:16 PM
When you pay extra for custom work, why should you accept anything less than what you ordered?
You order a custom jacket and it comes in too small. Would you accept the tailor adding an extra bit of material to make it fit???
If both parties signed a contract with specs and one party did not follow it, well too bad so sad... I imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, there would already be lawyers involved...
Stick to your guns OP.

Tom King
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:18 PM
I did receive a phone call this morning around 11:00 a.m. from Mr. Eby, with the VP present in his office. The trailer arrived there this morning and was inspected. According to Mr. Eby, two sets of blueprints existed and the incorrect set was used to build this trailer. He did not dispute that the front stall width is incorrect. He also told me that the rubber lining, present on my contract with the dealer, was not present on the order that was placed by the dealer. We agreed that none of that was my fault.

I believe that we have reached an agreement regarding a solution. The solution offered to me today was much different than what was being offered previously. I can't say that I'm happy that I had to go through this, but in all fairness Mr. Eby did investigate and address the issue himself.

BTW - Regarding my reasons for coming here with this issue...the error was discovered last Wednesday. My husband had unsatisfactory conversations with the dealer and someone at the factory on Wednesday once he saw the trailer. I then had two unsatisfactory conversations with the VP on Thursday and Friday before I started this thread. I was out of options, save hiring a lawyer, which I can't afford to do. Would this situation have had a different outcome if I hadn't gone public? I don't know...I hope not, because when a company's reputation goes south, so does your trailer's resale value and hopefully I'm about to own an Eby trailer...

Very good of you for posting this.

If it was mine, I would not have minded getting the original one corrected, but I build stuff for a living.

When I was building my first house, I called a guy to do some heavy equipment work to put in the driveway. We walked around the lot talking about the location of the entrance. After what seemed to me like I was taking too much of his time, I apoligized for taking to long to decide what to do.
The old country guy, who I'm pretty sure couldn't read and write, said, "That's alright. Most of the time you have to walk around in circles and talk about it before you can come up with the best answer." I have since come to believe that he was one of the wisest men I've known.

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=
However in the real world, I've yet to see a contract worth hundreds of millions negotiated, that didn't have trade space between parties.
.[/QUOTE]

?? I thought that was the part before it the custom item was built, not afterward!!

Bank of Dad
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:45 PM
Upfront, I own an Eby stock trailer that I bought new from the plant in Blue Ball, PA, about 3 years ago.

I went to a local dealer first. I didn't work with him since I felt pressured and felt he wasn't real honest.

We actually called and dealt with a sales person in Blue Ball over the phone. I had interior modifications and some exterior ones too. When we arrived to pick it up, it wasn't done to our specifications either. However, it was easy to add what we wanted, and we went up again a week later. Should this have happened? No, but this stuff happens more than not. We've built several houses, which cost more than a lot of horse trailers together. If we didn't monitor the work daily, we'd have lots of extra windows and doors we didn't order.

I'm sorry your experience was so convoluted. Its really a well built trailer. A few weeks ago, I watched a horse crash thru a small escape door on a two horse trailer. Now I'm sorry I didn't get a larger escape door on the side.

Best to you.

blaster
Aug. 10, 2011, 05:52 AM
?? I thought that was the part before it the custom item was built, not afterward!!

The reality is that production hardly ever goes to cost, schedule or performance.

When we arrived to pick it up, it wasn't done to our specifications either. However, it was easy to add what we wanted, and we went up again a week later. Should this have happened? No, but this stuff happens more than not. We've built several houses, which cost more than a lot of horse trailers together. If we didn't monitor the work daily, we'd have lots of extra windows and doors we didn't order.

Best to you.

+1 Notice the issue, resolution AND the the issues on other non-horse production products...

SGray
Aug. 10, 2011, 08:58 AM

3) You have been completely unwilling to accept anything other than what you want.........

huh? I would not either

Somermist
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
huh? I would not either

:yes::yes::yes:

onelanerode
Aug. 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
3) You have been completely unwilling to accept anything other than what you want.

The OP and Eby entered into a contract under which Eby would build a trailer to the OP's specifications for X amount. The trailer Eby delivered initially was not what the OP had ordered. There is absolutely no reason she should pay for something that does not satisfy the requirements in the contract that she had with Eby; the mistakes were Eby's and therefore Eby's responsibility to fix. The OP is not obligated to take a trailer that does not meet her specifications simply because the company may not want the additional expense and hassle of doing it right the second time, instead of the first.

RacetrackReject
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
. We've built several houses, which cost more than a lot of horse trailers together. If we didn't monitor the work daily, we'd have lots of extra windows and doors we didn't order.

Best to you.

Sorry, but as someone who works at a design-build firm, I have to comment on this. You had to have been dealing with either completely incompetent builders or they did not do their part in going over your plans or specifications with you and making sure everyone was on the same page before you signed your contract.

As for the trailer, she ordered custom and paid for custom. She did not order something close to what she wanted and pay to have it modified to be exactly what she wanted. I'm sure she could have saved money if she had.

As for the owner of the company's post, it left a bad taste in my mouth quite honestly. I think he was trying to come off as condescending as possible while making it seem otherwise. Why else would he bring up the fact that it was only a 2 3/4" difference. Maybe 2 3/4" doesn't mean much to him, but it means a lot to quite a few people, just ask anyone in the porn industry. =P

smokygirl
Aug. 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but as someone who works at a design-build firm, I have to comment on this. You had to have been dealing with either completely incompetent builders or they did not do their part in going over your plans or specifications with you and making sure everyone was on the same page before you signed your contract.

As for the trailer, she ordered custom and paid for custom. She did not order something close to what she wanted and pay to have it modified to be exactly what she wanted. I'm sure she could have saved money if she had.

As for the owner of the company's post, it left a bad taste in my mouth quite honestly. I think he was trying to come off as condescending as possible while making it seem otherwise. Why else would he bring up the fact that it was only a 2 3/4" difference. Maybe 2 3/4" doesn't mean much to him, but it means a lot to quite a few people, just ask anyone in the porn industry. =P

OMG.. coca cola shooting out my nose while laughing is not a pleasant sensation.. but worth it.. that was hilarious.. ROTFL :D

Anguissette
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe 2 3/4" doesn't mean much to him, but it means a lot to quite a few people, just ask anyone in the porn industry. =P

This made my morning! :lol:

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hi OP, I hope you get your trailer problem worked out with Eby.
It's my dream to have an Eby! Hear that Mr Eby???
Remember my name & take pity on me when I call you as I'm working to save $$$ so I can order that 2+1, 8' tall, extra length, totally insulated, extra windows for the hot south. Oh yeah, & stainless steel would be nice too!
At Devon last year I drooled over the 3 Eby's that Iron Spring Farm has as well as a new 2+1 that another rider had. What quality. Built like tanks.
I have been wanting a new trailer for so long now that I've had the time to crawl all over almost every brand out there. I've found that Eby absolutely builds the finest trailer in the country in my opinion. When the OP gets the trailer she wants she'll have one to last a lifetime! I'm jealous!!!
p.s. Mr Eby: I'll take either the 2+1 OR a Head to Head. Whichever one you want to give me a big discount on is fine with me!!!

RainyDayRide
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
Reading through all the posts, it sounds as if it might have been the dealer who messed up initially - sending the wrong(earlier?) set of plans and not specifying the liner. (and then not working to make things right.)

Regardless, glad to see that the OP and EBY appear headed to a resolution. (EBY might want to have a talk with the dealer ...)

TheJenners
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Wow Blaster, you're kind of a meanie. Yes, the OP posted the original debacle and asked for contact info, then came here when the situation spiraled further down the drain. LOTS of people do that.

Then you bumped her original thread that had already gone the way of the dinosaur. What point are you trying to prove?