View Full Version : Still some openings for the Becky Holder Clinic- How did it go??

Aug. 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
There are still some openings for the Becky Holder Clinic at the Hoosier Horse Park next weekend (Aug. 13-14). A friend of mine has a sick horse and mine is currently lame, so we've created openings in the novice division if anyone is interested. Check out http://www.indyeventers.org/docs/docs_2011/2011_BeckyHolderClinic.doc for more details!

Aug. 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Wow. Kind of bummed about this. I checked several times to see if there were openings for a novice horse and was told the clinic was full. Too close to the wire for me to make plans to attend now.

Aug. 6, 2011, 02:03 AM
Yeah, I'm bummed too :( My guy came in with a huge hock Tuesday morning and it hasn't gotten any better. I've got a vet coming in the morning (would you believe that the first 4 I contacted are all on vacation??), but am just not seeing it for jumping around on hard ground next weekend. As for my friend, her horse has been diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, so not the best timing. We were both sooooooo looking forward to working with Becky :(

Aug. 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
Bummer for both of you, quick recovery to both horses. If I weren't trying to close on my new house on Friday I will withstand hell and high water to get there. Now I am actually thinking about it.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
Grey - I forget - have you ridden with Becky before? It's probably easier to reschedule a closing than to find a Becky clinic near you with room in it... ;)

Aug. 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
Yes. Lived with Becky for several months actually. Ha. We have been waiting 90 days to close on our farmette and i have been living with my mother (along with husband and 4 yo daughter) - you do the math. It is a VERY close contest - the fact that I would have to throw together a babysitter last minute doesn't help. But if I can get a spot I am very tempted.

Aug. 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
Gry2Yng, I sure hope you can work it out and make it. I'm really looking forward to the weekend as I've never ridden w/Becky before.

There is a clinic w/a BNT this fall that I've ridden w/a few times before and unfortunately, it's scheduled for the same weekend that hubster and I are leaving for vacation. I called hubby to try and sweet talk him into moving the trip so I could attend the clinic and he reminded me that the flights are booked, the place is booked, etc. so it would be costly to rearrange. Phooey. Truth be told, I'd rather ride in the clinic. ;)

Again, I hope you're able to make it. If you do, look us up. I'll be in a BN group on the clyde x.

Wee Dee Trrr
Aug. 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
Amy- Who is coming this fall? I didn't see anyone on the IEA calendar.

Aug. 16, 2011, 12:18 AM
For those who went, how was the clinic???

pony grandma
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
okay I'll pipe in. I was there watching, DD rode on my young homebred horse so I'm like a glove getting to see my 'two' homebreds and enjoy seeing them develop together. And breeders rarely get to realize the results.

Becky is very good, she listens to each horse/rider story first to know what she's working with and tailor some teaching to their individual needs. She starts at the basics for everyone, laying a foundation then progresses with the difficulty. Steering, straightness emphasized. She hones in on each rider's particular difficulties as they arise and gives them a good go at the exercises she uses. She is very attentive to trying to make sure that she 'sees' and responds to each effort. Altho some riders need to wait for her to finish with the ride that just went before they start if they want her time.

I wrote down a few quotes I can share:

If you just stare off into the distance (eyes ahead without real focus) then you have a run-on sentence with your horse.

Don't turn until you're organized.

Get to the jump, put your leg on, and GET an answer. (make it happen)

Rider needs to be in a stable consistent place so that when you change your position the horse knows the clear change and you make the change happen just before the horse sees the fence.

USE a longer rein when the horse needs to drop their head.

at the banks: the more that you hold onto them the bigger they will jump.

Break their jaw loose before a turning combo.

She told us that our horse needed to anty up and do harder work. He gets more serious and quits playing and being silly if he's put to more effort. Needs something for his busy brain to think about.

and for the good humor she expressed - "You'll be the buttmaster of the group. Get your little fanny cheeks down there and clinched!" rider not to be identified :D

And we got our quote for the year. She told us that our horse was "a serious comedian." Not sure if that's good or bad but she nailed it! :lol: