PDA

View Full Version : Albion Saddle fit help please

SEPowell
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hi

I'm looking at an Albion saddle that is 4.5" from button to button and called a medium. Is that about right for a medium saddle? Narrows (3.5) are a little too tight on this horse but I'm afraid that 4.5 might be too large.

Also, this horse has high and long withers and I was wondering if anyone could comment on Albion's fit for horses built with withers like this.

Many thanks :)

Hilary
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:46 PM
It will depend on which Albion you are talking about - some of them fit that high/long wither beautifully, but some other models do not. The SLK dressage low and high profile saddles will fit that wither, but I am not sure of the others.

Also you can get it flocked to fit - I had a Medium Narrow tree and it could easily be made Narrow, Medium Narrow and Medium.

I don't remember the actual distance between the buttons and how it's flocked matters more than that distance. I have since sold the saddle (so I can't go look) as I no longer have that horse but he loved it.

pheasantknoll
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hello OP:

There are some really knowledgeable saddle people here, and I hope they will chime in.

One thing to know about Albion is that they make a TB tree that is different from their regular trees, just for the long and high withered horse. I would talk to a fitter about that tree for your high/long withered h orse.

PKN

SEPowell
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I decided not to buy the one I saw on ebay because I'm pretty sure it was too wide.

At the moment I'm wary of saddle fitters, reps and saddle makers because I had a saddle custom made for this horse by a very reputable saddle maker and the saddle does. not. fit. So I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative until I can come to some resolution with the saddle maker.

At them moment I'm back to riding in an exercise saddle. Sigh

piaffeprincess98
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:29 AM
Sending you a PM SEPowell.