PDA

View Full Version : Best Option for Pulling Manure Spreader...

babyeventer23
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:57 AM
Okay, I have been searching the Around the Farm but haven't found a good thread to go off of. I know a lot of people use various 4-wheelers or gators to pull their spreaders. My last farm used a riding mower - is this a decent option? We have a small farm, and should be getting our spreader this week. We came across a great deal on a 54" Husqvarna riding mower that we will need anyway. I'm wondering if we could utilize this for awhile to pull the spreader...

Any pros/cons from the COTH voices of experience?? :D

equinedriver
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:28 AM
It should work fine as long as it's a small spreader. I have the "large" Newer Spreader, which is still quite small and I usually pull it with my golf cart, which is not a lifted one with big tires, just the standard one. It does fine. I also now have a gator and a 4 wheeler thanks to a friend who is getting divorced and is staying here and they pull it easier, but I really think a riding mower would do fine with a small spreader.

baysngreys
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:09 PM
I have the small Fimoco spreader and both my JD riding mower and my ancient golf cart can tow it. Golf cart actually does a good job and doesn't need gas.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:48 PM
I pull my Newer Spreader with my JD Garden tractor, works well.