PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Friday thread

netg
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:56 AM
In honor of Friday, and my happiness my farrier's making it out so I can ride again after today, how about another thread of things which mattered to you, big or small?

My last ride before we had an ant attack freakout resulting in thrown shoe was in a lesson. We were practicing going back and forth between working and collected canter. One transition I didn't get the reaction I wanted, gave a much more firm half halt... and his butt just about hit the ground. I felt as if I could easily asked him to turn and had a lovely canter pirouette. He's finally getting the strength he needs to carry himself the way he wants!

meupatdoes
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
In honor of Friday, and my happiness my farrier's making it out so I can ride again after today,...

You just ensured that your farrier will have 10 founder emergencies, a flat tire, a death in the family, lose his day planner AND your number, and you will never see him again until September. I literally gasped aloud when I read you foolishly tempting the Foot Fates like this.

As for the topic, I am super happy at my new boarding barn. The boys and I have struggled a bit to find just the right place since moving across the country at the beginning of May, but now I have found a place with nice big stalls, a nice indoor, a nice outdoor, everything clean and ship-shape, a consistent and generous feeding program (high quality grain and lots of hay!) and a consistent (and LIBERAL) turnout schedule, and we are cooking with gas again.

In their first week there the boys absolutely blossomed again and I am happily getting work out of them the likes of which I haven't really gotten since we left TX. I am in a much more agreeable mood because the barn is set up efficiently so it is easy to work in, so I can groom and clean tack without having to traverse large distances or schlepp hoses everywhere, open and shut stall doors without them falling off the track, keep my stuff in an easily accessible place, rest assured my horses will have gotten plenty of turnout (minimum 12 hours) on days I can't make it out and not have to wonder if they have been locked up all day, etc etc etc.

So, without jinxing anything (I too have the farrier coming out in the near future and I am kind of dreading the havoc that may ensue), I am really happy to have my boys and my program back in true form again.

Really, so happy I can't even fully describe.
I actually LIKE going to the barn again.

Sancudo
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:28 AM
Slooow day at work here, so I'm game.

I think my heart horse that means everything to me is going to have to be retired. We just got our Bronze Medal scores at Lexington two weeks ago, and last week he came up hopping lame. We xrayed and the navicular has really regressed and the injection wore off, in addition the deep flexor tendon has begun to calcify quickly over the last 4 months. They think he might have torn a bit of the tendon, because he was never this lame from the navicular acting up alone. I knew it was coming, but I was hoping to have one more season. He was doing SO well. :( He's not a happy camper when not in work; he is a workaholic, excited to go out every day. I'm just sick. My vet's out of town until next week, so I'll hold off on the real doom and gloom until I get a complete diagnosis.

Here's him a couple years ago:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/DaylightComes/_M9Q7201-1-1.jpg

Being a goober:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/DaylightComes/205525_854788435327_36609227_41748181_5521644_n.jp g

Doing 3rd level last month
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/DaylightComes/DSCN0375.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/DaylightComes/DSCN0392.jpg

Had a good jumping ride on my OTTB, will go XC scholing tomorrow. Planning to do a combined test next weekend on him, since I will have to scratch my big show I had entered with my big guy before he went lame.

It's back in the 90s, sooo much better than the 100s! I've been riding at 6 am and 8 pm and I've just been drenched, not to mention exhausted. Can't wait for fall!

mswillie
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:43 AM
In honor of Friday, and my happiness my farrier's making it out so I can ride again after today, how about another thread of things which mattered to you, big or small?

After a bout with white line disease and self destructing feet, followed by and six weeks of assorted treatments including, but not limited to, bute, CleanTrax soak, wrapping, scrubbing, scraping, duct taping, magic cushioning, disinfecting, and booting we have no visible signs of disease, enough foot for new shoes, and I have a rideable horse again.

Of course just in time for me to go away on vacation. It's been booked since February and paid for, but I really would rather be riding. :rolleyes:

But the trainer is going to continue to leg him up while I'm gone so when I get home we should be good to go. :)

The added bonus is that in our few short rides this week I've noticed I have a much more forward (even if slightly out of shape) horse. He's been a push model since I bought him, so it makes me wonder if he hasn't had a sub chronic issue for a while and I just didn't see it. :(

It's been a long, tedious six weeks and my hat is off to CleanTrax, McCauley's BioTime supplement, and most of all to my wonderful farrier who has gone above and beyond to help me get this mess straightened out. :)

Paddys Mom
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hauled out to the empty polo fields to ride in their lovely rings.
Horse was wonderful with and without other horses as they came and went. No spook and plenty of focus.
Really enjoyed the large size of the rings.
Made the counter canter much easier to maintain.

Also, donkey's hoof is finally growing out straight again and pony is blossoming with his boot camp.

My human children have been so helpful and well-behaved the past few days.

Work is busy but rewarding.

{Starts looking for the meteor that is sure to land on me now}

quietann
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
Sancudo, sorry to hear about your horse.

Bit of happiness #1: my BO and I worked out the huge miscommunication we had about my mare's turnout, and not only is she back where she belongs in a bigger paddock for a half day, they'll squeeze in some time in a smaller paddock, too. I nearly left the barn over this and am so happy we finally got it sorted out. And I do have options if this is not enough, but I like the barn, I like the location, I like the trainers I work with and nearly all my barn-mates.

Bit of happiness #2: I had surgery for trigger finger 3 weeks ago and have not been able to ride much, and then work got crazy this week and I didn't get to ride at all. But I have a lesson this evening, woo-hoo!

netg
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:59 PM
You just ensured that your farrier will have 10 founder emergencies, a flat tire, a death in the family, lose his day planner AND your number, and you will never see him again until September. I literally gasped aloud when I read you foolishly tempting the Foot Fates like this.

:o

That made me laugh!

I probably COULD ride him without the shoe. We have very forgiving footing, and he's still running around his pen. However, THAT would definitely be tempting fate. He was out for two months after stabbing himself with the clip of a shoe (but I was sick those two months, so couldn't ride anyway), and I don't want to risk him getting injured again just for the sake of my impatience.

I felt really silly last weekend calling a vet at 5-something in the morning. "My horse appears to have laid in an ant hill, and is frantic. I'm afraid to put him away because he's going to hurt himself." She made me feel better when she said "oh, no, I'll get right there - the ant bites themselves aren't a big deal, but I've seen horses panic and run through fences."

I had no idea! That's what I get for owning stoic quarter horses my whole life... Silly OTTB!

Pony Fixer
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:12 PM
My farrier called me yesterday to see how my show went last weekend. He's the best farrier EVAH!

My horse has the worst feet I've ever dealt with (ditto for the farrier, sadly). I've literally done it all--supplements, shoes, no shoes, glue-on shoes, boots, treatments, etc.--and in the summer months (probably May-June through November) his feet just.fall.apart. With this last shoeing there was more epoxy than hoof, I was given strict orders to not let the feet get wet and to keep him inside away from the flies. My farrier was scared to death that the shoes wouldn't last 5 minutes, much less through a USDF show.

What did I tell him? My horse is sound, happy in the stall, and won 2/3 Second level classes, second place in the other. And we made our Third level debut! He was FLOORED. I told him he was a miracle worker and worth his weight in gold!!!

monstrpony
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:19 PM
Don't know about your Friday, Pony Fixer, but I bet you made your farrier's day! How nice!

Oberon13
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:49 PM
My Friday happiness...I had a fantastic ride on the maresy this morning! We had a blast doing a fun jump school earlier this week, and I love the way it refreshes her mind and body. So, this morning in our dressage school, she was powerful! When I got on, I was a little surprised by what I felt under me...no long, slinky, slow walking...she was stepping up and through and really marching like she was headed somewhere. At first, I thought, "Crap, this is going to be one tough ride." She can be a bit ADD and spooky when we're alone in the arena. However, I put her to work and she didn't do anything other than continue to give me that power and push. We did loads of canter work - lengthen/collect transitions, walk/canter transitions, really felt her in the outside rein...good stuff.

It was the kind of ride where, when I hopped down and ran up my stirrups, I took a big, deep breath and felt kind of giddy and happy inside. Love that feeling....all kinds of grateful for it!

Heinz 57
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
I have a girl coming out to see one of my boys as a potential lease-to-own tonight. Fingers crossed! She sounds perfect for him.

This would leave me with the necessary time to get the other (more talented) one really GOING again. :yes: And the funds to show him once 'going' has been achieved! Not that I don't love his big, brown face just hanging over the door, but he could be so much more!

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 5, 2011, 06:49 PM
Had a great ride today! I'm very excited for my show next saturday!

Behind the 8 Ball
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
horse in training walked flat footed onto the trailer ( took him 45 minute just get off the trailer when he arrived 7 weeks ago) all 9 ponies were good for the farrier, gave 3 new students lessons, had a lovely time hanging with the BO and the new barn manager AND, the hubby made dinner!!

The little things make me happy :)

Easy Choice
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Had a great lesson on my OTTB this morning and then went for a long trail ride. The excitement is, it was his first trail ride that he was totally sane the whole ride - not one spook! He walked quietly up and down some steep hills, passed a few 'horse eating' obstacles without a second look, and didn't respond to one of the horses in front of him spooking at those same HEOs!!!

I've had Tony for 3 years and have been limited to ring work because he'd throw me every time we went outside. Now we can really get some butt muscle built up with the hills on the trails:-) .

netg
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:04 AM
Farrier was here, and things worked well. He's regrown his hoof enough since ripping off a large amount of the one which mean 2 months off that we were able to try without pads! We'll see how it goes - his pen and the arena should be no problem, so the question is if he can handle trail riding.

So I get to ride two horses in the morning, woohoo!

netg
Aug. 8, 2011, 05:07 PM
Ummmmm... Friesians have fabulous hair. :lol:

So Saturday I was going to ride my horse... and it turns out he has a VERY sore back. So I'm not sure what he did in his ant saga flailing, but I'm back to not riding him until he's been seen by massage therapist and vet chiropractor. I longed him for some stretchy work which appeared to help a bit, but he's not moving as well as he normally does, and his hip/SI/pelvis area just looks tighter. He's not stepping up under himself as naturally as usual, though today he started to get back some bounce in his stride.

I'm thinking he most likely is out again - last year he had a pretty major fall in turnout which resulted in his spine and SI area all getting out of alignment, and am waiting to see what the results of work this week say.

But... My mom's friesian-x is being a little superstar. She has learned to love stretching into contact which makes a huge difference in how she moves, and we now have suspension at the trot! She has never had a very good walk, but all the forward walk on trails has helped and she now actually has an overstep as she's loosening up in her body. Her canter's improving greatly, as her trot is very clearly her best gait. (I'd call her a 6 mover, at least at schooling shows. Not sure what a rated show judge would call her.) She has also been a superstar for my 60-something, timid mom on trail rides. And a great teacher - every time Mom stops sitting up and holding herself up, she gets crooked and her horse walks up to a bush whichever way she's leaning, then stops like "ok, you didn't watch where you were steering me... we're here. What now?" She's totally the Shetland Pony of Friesian crosses, and it's hilarious!

She's also going to be my lower level eventing project. Cute, not so athletic the idea of going cross country on her intimidates me given I haven't gone cross country in 13 years, and keeps getting better at her dressage work. Oh, and she has the most ridiculously thick and amazing tail I've ever seen, which we have to keep braided or it develops dredlocks. And thankfully Mom lets me keep her mane short.

atr
Aug. 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
So, I missed this on Friday because I was at a show... improving my scores over my last show by 7%...

Amazing what fixing the canter can do.

However, at next weekend's show, we hope to combine this improved canter with the throughness that got lost in my obsessing over the canter...

netg
Aug. 9, 2011, 01:05 AM
So, I missed this on Friday because I was at a show... improving my scores over my last show by 7%...

Amazing what fixing the canter can do.

However, at next weekend's show, we hope to combine this improved canter with the throughness that got lost in my obsessing over the canter...

Congrats! 7% is a lot!