PDA

View Full Version : Bad sting/bite

DLee
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:54 AM
Day before yesterday I got stung/bit on the ankle going through ONE step of unmowed grass. Honestly it was the most painful sting/bite I've ever had, it was crazy. I didn't see a thing, there was no stinger, just a red bite mark looking thing. It hurt so much I couldn't even finish catching the horses I was after til I went in and iced it for a bit.
ANY ideas? Last night and today my ankle is red, hot and swollen and hurts, wow. I found some children's benadryl (for the cat, lol) this morning and choked some down.
I just can't imagine what would be in the grass and get me that fast as I took one step through it, and hurt this bad. I'm really not that much of a weenie!

PRS
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wasp
Bee
Scorpion
Spider
etc.

If it starts looking uclerated or infected get to a doctor ASAP, else the bendryl should help.
Hope you feel better soon.

LaurieB
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
Ouch! No ideas but a lot of sympathy. I hope it's nothing serious. Fwiw, bites to the ankle always seem to hurt worse than anywhere else because there's so little "padding" there.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
Sounds like a snake to me.
Or a nasty spider.
Both would leave parallel fang marks.

But if your ankle is still swollen & hot today - 3 days later - please consider making a Dr appt.
At least MD can prescribe something for you stronger than the kids benadryl.

DLee
Aug. 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks you guys :) I can see my ankle bone again this afternoon, so it is definitely going down, but wow. I sure wish I could've seen what did it.

Grasshopper
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:55 PM
I sometimes react that way to fire ant stings--but they usually hang on with their pincers and sting multiple times.... Anyway, hope it improves, do keep an eye on it!

baysngreys
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:59 PM
Best thing I've found to take the sting/itch out of bites - nail polish remover!
No kidding. Here in Fire Ant country I get bit all the time and it's the only thing that works everytime and immediately.

I have bottles of the stuff stored everywhere now!

crosscreeksh
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
The Red wasps are very evil right now. I got stung a week ago and was afraid to look at my hand because it felt like the finger had been shot off!!! I recently got an "info" e-mail from a friend telling about how to put a penny...any old one will do...on a sting. It hurt so badly, I thought WTH, I've got nothing to lose! I put the penny over the string for a total of 3 minutes...directions said 2 minutes, but mine REALLY hurt. Honestly...it hurt even worse with the peeny on, but after 3 minutes the pain was GONE!!! For good!!! I put some antibiotic ointment and a bandaide on and that was it. No more pain...At all!! I now keep a penny in my jean pocket every day.

Alagirl
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
The Red wasps are very evil right now. I got stung a week ago and was afraid to look at my hand because it felt like the finger had been shot off!!! I recently got an "info" e-mail from a friend telling about how to put a penny...any old one will do...on a sting. It hurt so badly, I thought WTH, I've got nothing to lose! I put the penny over the string for a total of 3 minutes...directions said 2 minutes, but mine REALLY hurt. Honestly...it hurt even worse with the peeny on, but after 3 minutes the pain was GONE!!! For good!!! I put some antibiotic ointment and a bandaide on and that was it. No more pain...At all!! I now keep a penny in my jean pocket every day.

Cool!
Ought to be easier to find a penny than a certain weed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_lanceolata)

DLee
Aug. 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
Well I did end up gong in this afternoon and doctor said I should be glad I did. On antibiotics now.

Thanks for the wishes!