PDA

View Full Version : WARNING...and REMINDER

VAevent
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
This is not new, but....

I bought a pair of breeches from Dover as part of its "summer sale." The price was decent. BUT....initial shipping for a $79. purchase was $13.90...and to return them cost $9.95. So NOT a saving, and not a good purchase.

Memo to self: remember that Smart Pak offers free shipping!

yellowbritches
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:32 AM
This is pretty much why unless I can not find what I need anywhere but from Dover online or the catalog, I only shop in the Dover store. Anything else I get comes from Smartpak or my local tack shop or Somerset!

deltawave
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Their shipping costs are obscene, and that is why they rarely get my business. What a shame they don't seem to care, because it's not like this is an odd or off-the-wall complaint. :no:

BestHorses
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
Because Dover sells some things I can't find other places and I hated their crazy shipping costs I signed up for their credit card. With that I only pay $4.95 flat rate shipping. It sits in my drawer and only gets used for that reason. Easy peasy.

simc24
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:01 AM
I was thinking about buying a few of the tops they had in their summer sale catalog, but when I was submitting the order online, and saw just how much I was going to pay in shipping- forget it. If I'm going to pay $75 for two shirts, including shipping, I'd rather just buy two that aren't on sale and get free shipping from SmartPak. Principal and all that.

kerlin
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:05 AM
Dover will ship items to its stores for free. I've done this a number of times - in fact, heading up to the Plaistow store tomorrow to get a customized halter they did for me, no shipping charges at all. It's a little bit inconvenient, but I just plan my trips for when I need other things, too.

Cody
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
Yep I'm like everyone else, if Dover is the ONLY place I can find it, then yes if I TRULY need it I'll buy it from them. But Smartpak gets the majority of my business because of the free shipping.

IF Dover had a store near me (which they don't) then I might consider that. I find it odd, that they don't have one in Ocala.

Duckz
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:32 AM
Because Dover sells some things I can't find other places and I hated their crazy shipping costs I signed up for their credit card. With that I only pay $4.95 flat rate shipping. It sits in my drawer and only gets used for that reason. Easy peasy.

Ditto the credit card, it's worked out well the few times I've needed to order something.

I did have an issue recently with Dover. After stopping by the store in Crofton to try on breeches, I ordered a pair that they didn't have in stock. The girl at the store said they would have it shipped for free from the warehouse as soon as it came in. Exactly one month later the breeches arrived at my house in the wrong size. I spoke to the GM of the Crofton store, and while he was very sorry for the mix-up, he said they were having issues with the supplier and he didn't expect my size to get to the warehouse until mid-August.

I said thanks but no, ordered the same pair of breeches from Smart Pak, and they showed up at my door in four days. Lesson learned.

FlamingoRider
Aug. 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
One other caveat to their "sales". I love Kerrits, but learned the hard way not to buy Kerrits clothing from Dover if it's a 'special purchase' or 'exclusive' item. These are something like the 'designer' clothing made specifically to sell at outlet stores--vastly inferior in quality compared to regular Kerrits stuff.

3phase
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:19 PM
You guys in the States are super lucky! I love Dover but the price of brokering and shipping is insane here in Canada!!! I could have it shipped to WA but then to go pick it up etc would cost about the same :( I had a few saddle pads that I bought from them that I absolutely love that were stolen...such a pain to have to order more when the cost is a lot more. The tack stores here in town unfortunately don't supply a lot of the products/ brands that Dover does...I really think they need to open a store out in the Seattle area, then I would drive down to get stuff.

Xanthoria
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:14 PM

Ditto.

KBC
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
SmartPack needs to start shipping to Canada!!