PDA

View Full Version : mouses in feed room (really smells "mousey")

mickeydoodle
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:51 PM
I board at a really nice barn, tonight I went into the boarder's feed room to get my 27yr old's feed, and was floored by the "MOUSE POOP" smell- not something I am used to at this barn- what to do?????(ps delicacy needed)

Rabtfarm
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
Traps or poison...you also are possibly looking more at rats(who sprinkle a little pee on their food so others don't take it). Poison is a risk if there are barn cats, etc who could equally suffer. Also you trade one smell for another(poop to putrefication).
Not sure about the delicacy needed: if it's a really nice barn as you say, I would think that they would be all over getting rid of the mice in the grain room...

ChocoMare
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
While poison is an easy thing to use, as Rabt said, it's dangerous to farm cats. However, it's more dangerous to owls who eat the rodents and then die themselves :(

Better grain control (i.e., kept in dead chest freezer), better rodent control with traps, serious hunting kitties, etc. will help more.

carolprudm
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
What part of the country are you in?

In the west, particularly the SW, mouse poop is associated with a rather nasty virus, hanta or Sin nombre

LauraKY
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:48 AM
Mouse trap or more cats. I prefer the cats, personally. We have a mouse hunting foxhound in the house.

GotGait
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
moar kittehs!

tasia
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
We can't do cats here because of the coyote. We use the electric rat zapper:cool: It works for mice too:D

pnalley
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
We never smell the mice in our barn, whenever we get a funky smell we usually find a rat snake. They smell odd

TaliaCristianna
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
Traps. Several of them. Don't get the cheap wooden ones either - go with the newer plastic kind. Much much easier to handle and set.

Put them along the walls where the mice tend to run. It will only take a few days to anihilate most of them.

Tamara in TN
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
I board at a really nice barn, tonight I went into the boarder's feed room to get my 27yr old's feed, and was floored by the "MOUSE POOP" smell- not something I am used to at this barn- what to do?????(ps delicacy needed)

the poop does not normally smell, but the urine does smell...it is the way they find their way along the walls.

you can take a bleach or lysol dilute and spray along the baseboards and corners. they rarely travel across open floor spaces

Tamara

ChocoMare
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
Traps. Several of them. Don't get the cheap wooden ones either - go with the newer plastic kind. Much much easier to handle and set.

Put them along the walls where the mice tend to run. It will only take a few days to anihilate most of them.

Yup, you want T-Rex Traps (http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/trextrapperkit.htm)

Nes
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:22 AM
md - I don't think there is any BO that is going to take offense to you mentioning you smell mice :lol:. Just go tell the BO and don't mention it to the other boarders, let the BO handle the whole thing :)

2DogsFarm
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
Yup, you want T-Rex Traps (http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/trextrapperkit.htm)

Chocomare:
THANKS A ZILLION for posting this link.
This trap looks like the perfect solution to the rats who have moved into my chicken coop :yes:

If I put one inside a bait station then I won't have to worry about the chickens eating dead/poisoned rat.

Do you think it would work if I baited one (inside the bait station) with peanut butter and didn't use the poison bait?

mickeydoodle
Aug. 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
thanks for all the info, I will offer to get those Trex traps for the barn.