PDA

View Full Version : A horse named "Gone Missing"

sapphireamira
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:27 PM
I have recently aquired a TB gelding registered as "Gone Missing". He is an 8yr old KY bred foaled May 4th 2004. His sire is Pine Bluff and Dam is Iman. He was retired in January 2010 because of a suspensory injury after a claiming race at Aqueduct. He is a wonderful horse and has fit right in at my barn. I am currently getting him back in shape to do the low level hunters. If anyone has any information on him I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

harvestmoon
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:32 PM
You can view his race record here:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=7185131&registry=T

:)

harvestmoon
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
Also, fun fact, his last owner (while racing) was Mike Repole - owner of Uncle Mo, Stay Thirsty, etc. :)

tradewind
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:13 AM
Not about your horse, but a friend of mine has a gelding by Pine Bluff..He is quite athletic and has a nice mind. She loves him. She does lower level eventing.

sapphireamira
Aug. 7, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have checked his race record and he did pretty well for himself. I am happy to know that Pine Bluff puts out some atheletes. I actually took him on a Hunter Pace yesterday and he was pretty great. He needs alot more muscling, especially his hind quarters, but going up some of those hills I could feel why he was fairly successful, it was very cool. He has started over some fences and is still learning how to use his body but is incredibly willing. My main issue is that I want to make sure he stays sound, because he did come off the track January 2010 with a pulled suspensory. He was given 9 weeks stall rest I was told and from everything I have seen the tendon has reattached itself to the bone and there is very minimal scar tissue. I may have him ultrasounded just to be sure. Does anyone have advice on bringing a horse back from a pulled suspensory? It has been about a year and a half since it happened and he has shown no signs of it bothering him. Also all you TB people any advice on what to use as far as a good feed regime? I currently have him on a basic sweet feed in addtion to the Sentinel Grow and Xcel and I am going to be adding in Nutrena Empower Boost. :)

equine08
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:09 PM
Assuming you are referring to a low suspensory injury. The best thing you can do to prevent aggravation of the old injury is to make sure your farrier gets his hooves balanced and to the proper angle. It is very common on the racetrack for the hooves to be long and low. The low angle creates a biomechanical stress and places the hind foot forward more towards the underbelly instead of properly supporting the hind limb. When fatigue or a misstep in bad footing then puts additional stress on the limb, the suspensory ligament is put at risk. Once you have a suspensory injury, you almost universally need to keep shoes on a horse to maintain the hoof angle.

Additionally, you should monitor the suspensory for heat and tenderness as they would do in a racing barn. Your vet can show you how, but essentially you just need to lift the leg and gently palpate the suspensory for any signs of tenderness. If you find any heat or tenderness the best thing for your horse is to stop training. You can always go forward again if you properly treat a minor flare up.

Be cautious with hills. Your horse may be willing but its important to gradually strengthen the suspensory for the different hill requirements.

Good Luck!!!

kcmel
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:36 AM
You should post your info on Uncle Mo's facebook page. MR could get back to you with some info--who knows? Good luck with him; he sounds like a nice one!

sapphireamira
Aug. 12, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the advice on the suspensory. His injury was actually a mid suspensory injury, which from what I am told is the best place for the injury to take place if it is going to happen. He has shown no signs of any tenderness which is good and I have to keep front shoes on him regardless because he's a delicate flower when it comes to his feet and can barely walk without shoes, slapped the shoes on him and the difference was instant. At this point my farrier did not feel that he needed eggbars or a reverse shoe so he just has a generic shoe on and is doing great.