PDA

View Full Version : Hey FL Farms..who is your insurance with?

florida foxhunter
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have a 40 acre farm, with my primary residence on it. I used to have only my own horses here...stallions and breeding, but have recently taken on a few boarders.
I MAY be having a problem with my homeowners insurance......the "photographer" commented I'm a "farm" , not a "residence' ( I pointed out I LIVE here)
However, it's very hard to get affordable "farm" insurance....or "residence" insurance for anything over 2 acres.
Just thought I'd see who WRITEs your FL Homeowners Insurance.......not the agent, but the company.
I called EMO, and they, like many, do not write insurnce in FL because of the 'exposure" (hurricaines)....I'm only 15 miles from GA, but 50 miles from the coast????

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
Good luck with that. I forget who we first had coverage with, they dropped everyone in FL in 2006, after spending days on the phone, the only company I could get to cover us was USAA (thanks to dad who served 20 years in the Army), and we got that just under the wire, they are only writing new policies in Florida now to active military personnel.

And we are 60 miles from either coast, and they still all played the hurricane card.

everafterfarm
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:02 AM
I'm with FL Farm Bureau, but I'll tell ya up front we had 8 years of happy quietness and then the last 2 years it's been a big fight to keep them from dropping us. They want to drop us because we have horses and breed them. Umm we have always had horses here! They also would happily dump us if we had other people's horses here. I had to write a letter explaining we do NOT have stallions here and breed a couple mares for fun(they were trying to say we were a business) and got statements from my vet that yes, all my mares are done via AI. Sooo, you can call and ask, but if you have boarders now and I know you have stallions they may run the other way. They were however very fair with us during Ivan and were fast and reasonable about getting us our money to fix our roof(the house roof) and the few other minor things we had damaged. They may take you if you have a separate policy for the horse operation and let them just cover the house. I have been looking to switch too, but it's so hard to find anyone willing to do FL now.

tasia
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:55 AM
Travelers. Commercial farm policy. This covers home, barn & boarders.

Tommyknockers
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:09 PM
I have mine thru Traveler's via Gordon Reiss Ins. in Ocala. It is a agribusiness policy and they have been very good to deal with so far. My premium is 1,917.00 a yr. and covers the house,4 stall barn, 4 bay shed, and one horse shed along with the fencing etc. Their number is 352-427-4748. Good luck. Our choices are limited that is for sure!

florida foxhunter
Aug. 6, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have a seperate liability policy that covers the horses, boarders, etc.......

tasia
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:46 AM
I have a seperate liability policy that covers the horses, boarders, etc.......

Is the cost of your homeowners & liability policy less than a farm policy?

florida foxhunter
Sep. 7, 2011, 08:27 AM
Bump..........still need more company ideas.........seems my house and 40 acres are a problem!

tasia
Sep. 7, 2011, 08:34 AM
Bump..........still need more company ideas.........seems my house and 40 acres are a problem!

What are they telling you the problem is?

pupakin
Sep. 7, 2011, 11:04 PM
Your problem in finding coverage may start with the fact that you are hanging your hat on needing HOMEOWNERS insurance. If you are boarding horses for a fee you are a BUSINESS (doesn't matter that your residence is on the property, you are recieving $$ for service, so you are a business) and need to find BUSINESS insurance. You could try contacting Markel Insurance or Ziplow Horse Insurance in VA and as others have stated, Travelers has an Agri-Business insurance program.

tasia
Sep. 8, 2011, 06:25 AM
Your problem in finding coverage may start with the fact that you are hanging your hat on needing HOMEOWNERS insurance. If you are boarding horses for a fee you are a BUSINESS (doesn't matter that your residence is on the property, you are recieving $$ for service, so you are a business) and need to find BUSINESS insurance. You could try contacting Markel Insurance or Ziplow Horse Insurance in VA and as others have stated, Travelers has an Agri-Business insurance program.

Travelers Commercial Ag policy would cover all of this :yes:

pupakin
Sep. 8, 2011, 09:51 AM
Travelers Commercial Ag policy would cover all of this :yes:

Which is why I listed Travelers Agri-Business. Commercial = Business.

tasia
Sep. 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
Which is why I listed Travelers Agri-Business. Commercial = Business.

Pretty sure I listed Travelers when she first asked;)

Piney Woods
Sep. 10, 2011, 11:18 PM
Great American, Markel.

nls
Sep. 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have Rain and Hail for commercial liability, equipment, and the farm buildings. The agent for them is Star H in NC and they have been very good to deal with. They will not cover my large open-sided structures even though they are engineered for hurricane winds and built to code. So, with those three considerable structures, we just have to cross our fingers! One of our acres is considered residential and is where the residence is located. That had to be carved out and is covered by a State Farm policy. How is that for convoluted?!!