PDA

View Full Version : Can these boots be salvaged?

lintesia
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:54 PM
I recently bought a pair of second-hand Effingham dressage boots. I thought they fit well, but I find that when I'm riding, my heels rise up in the boots to the point where they're where my ankles should be. (I have very narrow heels/ankles.) Needless to say, this is uncomfortable and makes my leg completely ineffective.

I mostly ride H/J, so I prefer a boot that's not too stiff. I also have a preference for having my weight in my heels (!), something that's currently impossible to achieve. I would love for these boots to work out, not only because they were a great price, but they're in excellent condition and are a perfect height. I also have a dressage show coming up and would prefer not to have to ride in my field boots!

Has anyone experience this problem? Any suggestions for what I might do? My cobbler tried to make the heels more narrow (using alcohol to shrink the leather or something like that) but it made no difference.

TIA!!

mickeydoodle
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
yep, I have had boots ride up like this- I fixex it by wearing several pair of thick socks- enough so my foot did not come up out of the boot to the ankle

lintesia
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:49 PM
yep, I have had boots ride up like this- I fixex it by wearing several pair of thick socks- enough so my foot did not come up out of the boot to the ankle

I thought of this, but I won't be able to fit my toes in the boots if I wear thick socks!

mickeydoodle
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
I thought of this, but I won't be able to fit my toes in the boots if I wear thick socks!

so wrap an ace bandage around the midfoot and ankle

shakeytails
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:16 AM
so wrap an ace bandage around the midfoot and ankle

Or get a couple of neoprene ankle support braces (http://www.amazon.com/ACE-Neoprene-Ankle-Brace-Size/dp/B001ALZYEK/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_6). I wore one a while back when I twisted my ankle, not uncomfortable at all for about $8 at WalMart.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:20 AM
Have you tried a heel wedge or lift? It might not lift your heel enough but it's worth a try. Look for one in the Dr. Scholl's display at drugstores or Walmart and the like.

Maybe a wedge AND an ankle wrap as mickydoodle suggests -- if one or the other isn't enough, perhaps BOTH would do the trick.

Shakytails -- THAT's a good suggestion, too! Looks like it would take up the extra room in the heel.

Sancudo
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
My old boots did this- I strapped a spur on really tight and it helped a bit, along with 2 pairs of socks, but the whole footbed was big.

Paddys Mom
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow - I had to double-check that I didn't write the OP!
I tried some boots last night and had the exact same problem!

lintesia
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:49 PM
Have you tried a heel wedge or lift? It might not lift your heel enough but it's worth a try. Look for one in the Dr. Scholl's display at drugstores or Walmart and the like.

I tried the heel lift, but couldn't keep it from moving forward when I put the boot on (no zippers) and ending up under the arch of my foot. Ouch!

I'll give the ankle brace a try and see if it takes up any of the extra room.

Thanks all!

dfsaz
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
Try terry cloth tennis wrist bands on your ankles. I use them to break in boots and prevent ankle rubs, but maybe they would work.

flyracing
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
I tried the heel lift, but couldn't keep it from moving forward when I put the boot on (no zippers) and ending up under the arch of my foot. Ouch!

I'll give the ankle brace a try and see if it takes up any of the extra room.

Thanks all!

You have to put the lift under your insole so it doesn't move.

kookicat
Aug. 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
Could you have laces added to the boots?

lintesia
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:45 PM
You have to put the lift under your insole so it doesn't move.

That makes so much sense, but I never in a million years would have thought of it! Thanks!

Gestalt
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:54 PM
Try terry cloth tennis wrist bands on your ankles. I use them to break in boots and prevent ankle rubs, but maybe they would work.

This is what I use when I wear my old boots. The boot heel is so wide my heel drops out of it, but my arches are high so nothing can be worn (other than a very thin sock) from the arch of my foot to my toes. The wrist bands around my ankle fill up the boot and keep it in place.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
I had that problem with some Cavallo boots that were stiff and took a long time to break in. The boot guy at the tack store suggested lining the inside of the heels with layers of suede and this worked really well.