PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing Out Walk to Trot Transition

pryme_thyme
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
As some of you know I have a young DWBx mare whom I have been training dressage.

I do not ride her much, maybe total of 2.5 hours a week and the work is pretty light due to her age and growth.

I first backed her last fall and when asked to trot she would sort of jump up and then trot if you know what I mean, rather than pushing soley from behind.
(which is turn throws her head up and she is no longer supple)

My coach says this is due to the fact she is still unbalanced and is not sitting and pushing properly.

So I have been bringing her back to walk and prepping her for the trot again each time she does this.

I figure she will grow out of this evetually but are there any other tips or excercises to get her to sit?

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
walk trot transitions in hand :yes:

other than that, it really depends on the development of your horse at this stage of the game. is that 2.5 hours spread over 5 rides or 3 or... ? I prefer shorter duration more frequently than longer rides occasionally when working with youngsters.

remember to make the transitions fun. Vary when you ask, and make a big deal out of ones that are trending towards correct. when a green horse gives me a good upward the get a verbal "good!" and then trot out a while enjoying that balance. then ask for the downward before they lose that balance. when the downward is good it's a verbal "good!" then wait a few steps enjoying the nice walk.
when they are crummy, there's less ride time in each gait. let the transition do the sitting work for you.

pryme_thyme
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:14 PM
I typically ride 3 or 4 times a week. Trying to keep it 30 mins or so, but it depends on her. If she is really supple that day I do a few transitions, work on straightness through my corners and 20m's and call it quits.
One a week I usually ride for 45 mins, working a lot on developing our walk.

Im going to try the in hand transitions, never even thought of this. Thank you.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
If she is really supple that day I do a few transitions, work on straightness through my corners and 20m's and call it quits.

This is just my opinion, and it would greatly depend on the horse's age, but on the days you are on THAT horse are the days to teach new things. To me, it sounds like she's presenting you with a canvas to paint that's been perfectly primed to start laying down new art. I've found if you consistently don't push beyond the basics they will resent being asked to go beyond them later.
Remember you are the personal trainer and the teacher.
:)