PDA

View Full Version : New mouser!?

Skydog
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
Seems to be one of my Auraucanas. I've seen mouse bodies in and around the hen house and yard and just assumed one of the cats didn't want to finish the meal. But, this morning, I noticed one of the chickens make a quick dive for what I assumed was a bug, then run around with "something" hanging out from her beak - you know how they tend to run around with a unique bit of food? On closer investigation, I found out the "something" was a dead mouse. Not a baby, but an adult, so fairly good sized.

Does anyone know if this is a common practice for chickens?

Hopefully, the video isn't out there of me chasing the mouse-carrying chicken with all the other chickens hot on our heels....;)

Nes
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
:yes: It is :)
Actually Muscovy ducks are supposed to be excellent for eating baby mice, but I've heard lots of chickens will do it too.

It won't hurt them, actually the extra protein is supposed to be quite good for them, chickens are omnivores!

Bluey
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:26 PM
Cotton tail rabbits tend to make nests in trash just about 6" deep.
If a chicken sees any movement in the trash leaves and sticks and dead grasses, it will pounce on it, scratch it and peck the baby rabbits and run off with one.
Other chickens then chase the hen all over.
Somehow they don't seem to connect one baby rabbit with "are there others there, where, where".;)

Chickens also eat lizards and smaller snakes and at times, other chickens.:eek:

I had not heard that about the ducks, always learn something new.:)

Skydog
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:22 PM
Huh. I guess it's true that you DO learn something new every day. Thanks for the info!

I was worried that all the hot weather had driven them over the edge, or something....

2Jakes
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:56 PM
I used to work at a wildlife hospital that raised a lot of muscovy ducks. If the juvenile ducks didn't get enough protein they would start picking at each others blood feathers and pretty soon they were practically cannabalizing one another. It seemed like once they got a taste for the blood, it was almost impossible to get them to stop picking on each other. Some mornings it looked like a crime scene in the duck pen :dead:...blood everywhere! Good incentive for figuring out what was wrong and fixing the problem!