PDA

View Full Version : What was THAT?!?

Heliodoro
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
OK COTHer's put on your sleuthing hats, I have a mystery that needs to be solved.

I live in the country and border a huge state park, we get all sorts of critters around the house. Something has been making the strangest noise outside for the past two days. It sounds like a rush of air or something rubbing on vinyl, short bursts, no more than 3 at a time, fairly loud (woke me up out of a dead sleep this am:mad:...). I'm only home late evenings/early mornings, so I don't know if it's solely nocturnal. I did smell a skunk last night as I was going to bed and noticed a critter when I called the cats in last night, either an oppossum or a skunk (about that size and movement), head towards the deck.

My one cat was startled as I settled into bed on Tuesday, leapt off the bed, growling. She will growl at deer in the yard :confused:. Other than that the cats aren't fazed; Lucy was sitting on the deck railing all nonchalant yesterday morning when I heard the mystery critter when I left for work. I don't think it's a deer bucksnorting, usually when I hear a snort I can see them and I haven't gotten a visual of this animal. Seems pretty skittish, I try to open the door quietly(it squeaks) when I hear it to have a look-see and it shuts up for a while. Haven't had time to look for tracks in the yard, but it has been pretty dry up until yesterday.

So what could this thing be?

If I ask soon-to-be-Mr. Helio, he'll claim it's bigfoot...

jessiesgrrl
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:59 AM
any chance you could get a recording and upload it?

I have no idea what kind of critters are from your area, but we had a tree frog issue once......issue being they are freakin loud suckers when they wanna get their babie making on!
Had one in the tree right outside my bedroom window, didn't sleep for almost a full week, he went all night!

Sounded like a baby racoon calling, and it was less then 2ft from the house, so my Dad went to pull a coon out and move it, but he was very dumbfounded when he couldn't find the coon.......took him about 20mins to pin point the frog as the culprit! lol

anyway, good luck with the investigating, please let us know if you figure it out!!

Bluey
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:09 PM
any chance you could get a recording and upload it?

I have no idea what kind of critters are from your area, but we had a tree frog issue once......issue being they are freakin loud suckers when they wanna get their babie making on!
Had one in the tree right outside my bedroom window, didn't sleep for almost a full week, he went all night!

Sounded like a baby racoon calling, and it was less then 2ft from the house, so my Dad went to pull a coon out and move it, but he was very dumbfounded when he couldn't find the coon.......took him about 20mins to pin point the frog as the culprit! lol

anyway, good luck with the investigating, please let us know if you figure it out!!

Frog was my first thought also, they can make the oddest sounds and quit when something shows up.
Frogs don't only croak-croak, they also huff-huff and half honk and just sound eerie at times and when you spot them, they are just sitting there quietly and you go "no, that was not you, was it?":lol:
Some birds also make odd sounds, but no telling what that is.

I hope you find what it is, so you can sleep soundly again.:yes:

jessiesgrrl
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:16 PM
hah, we have a pond with a bunch of bull frogs and one we call the dyslectic frog cause when he makes is come hither croak it sounds like a fart in the water, kinda backwards!

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:32 PM

That would be cool!!

Any ducks or geese (wild, or tame) around? They can make strange unearthly noises that'd scare the bejeebers out of you. As can wild rabbits...

didgery
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
We heard a creepy, three-note honk that sounded like "Buh-BA-DOH!" (Do, So, Mi for the solfège inclined). I didn't believe my husband when he told me it was a bullfrog, but then I saw it myself. That sucker was LOUD.

charismaryllis
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
...could it be some type of owl? i remember the first time i heard (and then saw) a barred owl; *thoroughly* bizarre gargling sound.

Nes
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
I want to agree with the bird guess, and they wouldn't be scurrying off so you'd probably never see it.

Don't barn owls make a really strange non-hooting noise?

sk_pacer
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
Quill pig??? those quills rubbing against somthing can make a loud hissing sound. Look for chewed wood around your house and what looks like largish rabbit droppings. Or it may be a buck attacking the local shrubbery to remove velvet - getting to that time.

All kinds of animals make noises not normally associated with them, per regular learing with science classes, etc. Wild ducks make assorted calls ranging from the particular quack for the breed to chuckles, chirrups, clucks and a soft hoot to babies while geese peep at their babies; gimme wild ducks any day as wild geese are loud, obnoxious and filthy.

ChocoMare
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
Barred or Great Horned Owls hoot, so they're distinctive.

Barn Owls have several calls: a deet-deet-deet when they meet up or call to their mate, a shriek of warning/danger and a Phish-Phish as a I Want Food call. They also do a happy little "chitter chitter" to their mates when they reunite.

Wonder if you have a woodchuck or badger snuffling around.

moonriverfarm
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:48 PM
I think it is either a skunk-ape or DB Cooper. :winkgrin:

TexasRose
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
So what could this thing be?

Oh, without a doubt it's "Bigfoot". Just look for a HUGE foot print (I think they only leave 1-print behind). :lol:

maunder
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
It's the famous Great Eastern Kerfoozleump.

Is is a deer snorting in alarm? They do that and then sometimes run with it and it's about three hoots per alarm.

Fox bark?

mayfair
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'd vote for an owl, too. Barn owls have a variety of calls- one is sort of rasping.

GypsyQ
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
Deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMljN6Ut7s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73Q00n7CR8&feature=related

Sometimes they snort a warning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAD3TK5Qdzs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBvvEdoON4&feature=related

pds
Aug. 4, 2011, 05:48 PM
Have you seen the movie Rise of The Planet of The Apes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaK6khs8aMw&t=57s
Maybe it is one of them.

Be careful, be very careful.

2tempe
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:08 PM
Bear passing through?

carolprudm
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:34 PM
deer

tasia
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:38 PM
Chupacabra :D

Tom King
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:19 PM
"rush of air or something rubbing on vinyl" just plum evades me.....

Can you tell the difference between a skunk smell, and fox urine smell?

Guin
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
It's the famous Great Eastern Kerfoozleump.

Certainly not. It's obviously a Caterwampus.

MistyBlue
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
Whitetail deer, I'd put money on it. ;)

Sounds like an indrawn whoosh...then a rubbing noise like someone running a spare tire over a picket fence?

That's a whitetail buck. A randy one, LOL!

maunder
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:13 AM
Certainly not. It's obviously a Caterwampus.

Oh those are much more deadly than the Great Easter Kerfoozleumps! ;)

Daydream Believer
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
I've heard some truly bizarre sounds while out backpacking in the mountains...usually right outside my tent. I can't think of anything that I've heard that quite reminds me of what you are describing. Owls do make some amazing noises and will scare you right out of a deep sleep.

Heliodoro
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:07 AM
All was quiet on the Eastern front last night...

Hadn't thought about owls... Went camping and had a few scaring the bejesus out of us, they kept screaming behind the cabin at night. Definitely a possibility. Damn cats aren't earning their keep if we've got owls prowling for vittles, though we've had a huge increase in the rabbit population this year. Lucy tries her darndest to kill all the cute fuzzy babies, but she's not perfect!

My first thought was deer, but again have never been able to match this noise with the deer I've seen.

We do have a pond on the property, so frogs could be a likely suspect. We do have bullfrogs that make a lovely racket. However the noise isn't coming from that side of the house, it's in the pine forest/tall grass between us and the neighbors.

Heliodoro
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:09 AM
Can you tell the difference between a skunk smell, and fox urine smell?

Unfortunately, yes. Since my horse refuses to keep his flymask on, foxes like to use it as their toilet. This was very much skunk. They were tearing up the yard this year looking for grubs...

Heliodoro
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:13 AM
Whitetail deer, I'd put money on it. ;)

Sounds like an indrawn whoosh...then a rubbing noise like someone running a spare tire over a picket fence?

That's a whitetail buck. A randy one, LOL!

Haven't caught the rubbing sound...yet. There is a huge buck that hides in our woods, drives the hunters mad come fall! He frequently rubs on the trees in the yard, but usually later in the year (Oct-Nov-ish). Maybe he scented the doe with the twin fawns I spotted Monday by the burnpile and thought he'd start the courting process...

Heliodoro
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:15 AM
And yes a call to soon-to-be-Mr. Helio (out camping in NH) confirmed that he's totally jealous that I'm going to spot a Sasquatch before he does... where's the rolly-eye icon when you need one!

Sipsi
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:46 AM
Barn owls sound like a leaky compressor when aggravated and are LOUD. They do have other sounds, but the leaky compressor is their loudest.

Enature is one of my fave sites. Have a listen to barn owl sounds. (http://enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?allSpecies=y&searchText=barn%20owl)

This is not the pissed off leaky compressor sound, but give it a listen!

Nes
Aug. 6, 2011, 12:15 PM
Enature is one of my fave sites. Have a listen to barn owl sounds. (http://enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?allSpecies=y&searchText=barn%20owl)

Thanks for setting off my dogs!!! :p

Yahoo kids actually has great audio/video links for animal sounds.

Sipsi
Aug. 6, 2011, 04:06 PM
oops, forgot the disclaimer: Can make dogs ballistic and cats pee :lol: