PDA

View Full Version : Saddle pad for a sweaty horse

jclevel2
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:29 AM
After prowling these forums for several months I finally decided it was time to join in on the conversation.

I just bought a brand new monoflap saddle for my TB gelding and absolutely love it. It fits me great and I had a saddle fitter adjust the flocking so he's a happy camper now too. I haven't always been the best at caring for my leather properly on a regular basis, but I'm determined to change that with this saddle, which brings me to my concern. My gelding is a sweat-machine! Even when he's in great condition, he sweats a ridiculous amount. He would easily sweat through a regular quilted pad and a fleece half pad, leaving a slick coating on the underside of my old saddle. Since the monoflap doesn't have a sweat flap like my old saddle, I'm concerned about this damaging the leather over time.

I've thought about investing in one of the fancy new pads (EcoGold, Thinline, etc) that claim to wick away moisture, but I'm hesitant because of the price. I also thought about using a thicker polypad, which would be harder for him to sweat through, but also probably be hotter for him. Also, the saddle fitter recommended using a thicker pad or a thin pad with a half pad, and she adjusted the saddle accordingly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my sweaty horse comfortable and my precious saddle dry (or drier)?

scubed
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:10 PM
Consider waffle weave pads:
http://www.windgatesaddlery.com/Franconia_Fleece_Waffle_Weave_Saddle_Pad_p/pad-302.htm

http://www.horseloverz.com/Ultra-Flow-Waffle-Weave-AP-Saddle-Pad-pr-157354.html

Sonoma City
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:22 PM
In your case, it doesn't seem like the saddle pads that claim to have wicking properties will do any good since they, too, will soak through. Skeepskin will wick some of the sweat and do a good job of absorbing the rest so it does not soak through the quilt. It's also much cooler than synthetic materials. I would consider trying a saddle pad which is fully lined in sheepskin. Engel makes both square and fitted pads which are completely lined: http://www.engelsheepskin.com/listman/exec/search.cgi?search=1&perpage=6&marknew=1&euro_numbers=0&lfield8_keyword=&lfield3_keyword=All+Purpose&lfield5_keyword=&search=%2B%2BSearch%2BListings%2B%2B You can often find them on ebay. They're not super cheap (I think the fully lined square pads are about $140) with that amount of sheepskin, but worth a shot.

elctrnc
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
Ultra Thinline pad between the saddle and a normal thin cotton pad. Sweat gets absorbed into the cotton pad and the Thinline keeps the moisture away from the saddle. The sweat was ruining the panels of the saddle and this was the solution.

Sonoma City
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:29 PM
Ultra Thinline pad between the saddle and a normal thin cotton pad. Sweat gets absorbed into the cotton pad and the Thinline keeps the moisture away from the saddle. The sweat was ruining the panels of the saddle and this was the solution.

Do they make a thinline large enough to cover the full panel of a saddle?

Also as a side note, my experience with Thinline is that they are HOT. They absorb a lot of heat and reflect it back to the horse. Not sure if this could potentially make your sweating problem worse?

yellowbritches
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
Sheepskin. It won't eliminate the issue, but it should help a bit. Both of my horses are big sweaters, especially Toby. I think the sheepskin to horse skin helps a bit. Buy several. :yes:

SuperSTB
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:45 PM
I went to a fabric store and asked for a breathable waterproof fabric. I ended up making a quick thin saddle pad of two layers for about $30 when all was said and done.

My old mare was a sweating maching too.

alto
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
If you decide to try Thinline (http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=38), they do offer a 30day trial period (http://thinlineglobal.com/learn_more/money_back_guarantee) - just be sure to read the fine print :)

elctrnc
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
Do they make a thinline large enough to cover the full panel of a saddle?

Also as a side note, my experience with Thinline is that they are HOT. They absorb a lot of heat and reflect it back to the horse. Not sure if this could potentially make your sweating problem worse?

It doesn't cover down on the flap, but it covers most of the panel area.

This horse was very sweaty before and is still very sweaty now. I haven't noticed that he is more sweaty now with the Thinline pad, but I suppose it is possible. I did not go with a fleece pad like a Mattes pad because it was too thick under the saddle.

Sonoma City
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
I did not go with a fleece pad like a Mattes pad because it was too thick under the saddle.

This brings up a good point. The OP mentioned that she had the saddle fit by a saddle fitter. If you do use a full sheepskin (or any half pad for that matter), the saddle may have to be adjusted to accomodate the thickness of the pad. I always have my saddles fit with the pad setup that I use for that particular saddle.

Mags
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
My horse sweats a lot also. I use a waffle weave pad. My saddle no longer gets drenched. It was on sale at Dover for under $30. Washes nicely, too.

wildlifer
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ecogolds are pricey, but having recently gotten one, I can attest, they are completely fantastic.

WishIWereRiding
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:58 PM
My horse sweats a ton too, and I also have a monoflap. I usually use an ultra Thinline pad (he sweats the same if I use it or not), so that covers the panels and protect them fron getting sweaty. But in the summer and when he sweats so much, I just wipe down my saddle after every ride. It's the only way to prevent any damage from the sweat.

mcorbett
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.moxieequestrian.com/Product.aspx?ProductCode=C107

1/2 off through their website! $30!
Most awesomest pad ever. I've a TB who sweats more than any of my others and this pad really wicks the sweat off him. I use a Mattes half pad over it so I'm not sure if he would sweat through through the Moxie w/o it, but I'm guessing he wouldn't. Is also DOES NOT MOVE AN INCH under my monoflap which is amazing.

jclevel2
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I should also clarify - the monoflap is a jumping saddle. I want to make sure the pad isn't thick and heavy enough to cause and problems with him over-heating (especially during cross country). Sheepskin should be fairly breathable, right?