PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on using liniments

Sonoma City
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:26 AM
I was just about to reorder some vetrolin because I am getting low, and stopped to think, "does this stuff actually do anything, or is it more for my peace of mind?". So I wanted to get everyones thoughts on it. Do we use liniment on our horses because it actually does reduce muscle soreness/stiffness, or do we use it because the bottle says it does and it makes us horse owners feel better? :P I've used liniment type things on myself before and besides my skin tingling a bit, it doesn't do anything. When it's diluted in a bucket of water I can't even feel it tingle my hands, so I can't imagine it actually has an muscle soreness relief properties. I use alcohol in water when it's hot out to increase evaporation and cooling, but are special liniments worth the money?

scubed
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:42 AM
I do not use liquid liniments. I use sore no more gelotion on legs and will use on butt and back after unusual work. I use it on myself too and it makes a major difference. :D. For cooling, I just go alcohol in ice water.

AEM74
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
I doubt if the liquid liniments actually penetrate deep down into muscles and offer any real benefit in that regard, especially when diluted in water. However, I do use the Absorbine liniment (yellow bottle) and apple cider vinegar diluted in water to sponge over my guy after a hot, sweaty workout. It gets the sweat and grime out of his coat and I think is probably refreshing/tingly for him when I put him in front of his fan. Makes my hands tingle anyway!

Paddys Mom
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:30 AM
I have been told that it is not the liniments doing anything, it is the rubbing/massaging action of your hands that helps. :)

alto
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
Vetrolin liniment:

Ingredients
alcohol, water, green soap, camphor, oil of sassafras, oil of spike, methyl salicylate, oil of cedarwood, oil of rosemary and oil of thyme.

Caution
Do not apply to irritated or broken skin. Discontinue use if excessive irritation develops. Avoid contact with the eyes or mucous membranes.

methyl salicylate = wintergreen oil

oil of spike = a distillate from the herb Lavandula latifolia

ie it may perform differently than a straight rubbing alcohol depending on the concentrations of the essential oils.

I believe there are some (independent?) studies done on the various liniments - I found one on the way to something else & just skimmed: the act of rubbing increased circultaion, some are less irritating than others ...

Based on ingredients, I'd choose Sore No More over Vetrolin (but I might be wrong :lol: )

VCT
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think you'd have to rub them in to get any benefits.... and I don't think they are a major cure for anything but superficial soreness. Sort of like ben-gay or icy-hot. I do like washing my horse down with dilute vetrolin after a workout. I think it cuts through sweat and grime better than just water, it smells good and it makes their coat feel nice. That said, I don't go through a ton of it, so the cost is not a worry and I do it because I like it, not because I think it's so fabulous for the horse.

For legs I use ice..... or gel liniment or poultice.

Xanthoria
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have been told that it is not the liniments doing anything, it is the rubbing/massaging action of your hands that helps. :)

Yep, me too - same with poultices. Something nice to do, if it has alcohol in the liniment it might cool the horse a little faster... but eh.

Now transdermal magnesium, that's a real thing apparently!

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
Liniment does lots of things! ;)

Smells nice.
Tingles briefly.
Cuts sweat and lather.
Removes stains.
Gives owners warm fuzzies. :p

What it does not do is meaningfully impact the health of soft tissues, bones, or joints.

I was advised by many people to buy Vetrolin to use for stain removal on my new pinto boy (see above) and that is the first bottle of liniment I've bought in about 15 years. :lol:

Jealoushe
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have to say that I have witnessed the magic of poultice many times over...it definitly has an effect!

Liniments help to cool down quicker at the very least. Plus they smell lovely :)

Heliodoro
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
I believe it's not FEI legal, but Thermalintex really does give some nice results! I've used both the gel and the liquid, you can see where it splashes on my arms and if I don't rinse my hands reeeally well my hands get very tingly! My horse does react to it when I massage it in, kind of like "Ooo, what is THAT?!"

That and Blue Lotion, which I believe is mostly menthol. I've used both on my own back muscles when they are sore!

Oh and the brace Tuttles, omg don't get it full strength on your skin! We had to work our 2 year olds up to our version of full strength (2 tbsp in one liter IIRC) or they'd start flipping out standing in cross ties, cooling out. After one accidental splashing, I thought my skin was going to burn off!

What is the difference between a brace and a liniment, if any?

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:49 PM
Tingling and burning sensation of the skin can be the result of exposure to almost any chemical. Gasoline, for instance. Doesn't mean it is doing anything meaningful. :)

BeeHoney
Aug. 4, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm with deltawave on this...I don't think liniments do anything remotely meaningful in regards to muscles or performance. However, in these humid summer months where the horses are getting frequent baths for shows and washed down daily post workout I think that using some liniment in the rinse helps keep the coat nice. So I use it for that reason. Oh, and I like the smell of vetrolin :).

yellowbritches
Aug. 4, 2011, 04:43 PM

Smells nice.
Tingles briefly.
Cuts sweat and lather.
Removes stains.

What it does not do is meaningfully impact the health of soft tissues, bones, or joints.

I was advised by many people to buy Vetrolin to use for stain removal on my new pinto boy (see above) and that is the first bottle of liniment I've bought in about 15 years. :lol:
:D:yes:

I do use a lot of Vetrolin in the summer, and it does give me warm fuzzies. But it DOES really cut through the grossness that cold hosing alone doesn't seem to remove. I've got a couple of kiddos that sweat like crazy, so a good cold hose followed by a tepid rinse with Vetrolin gets them looking good and gets rid of the harsh sweat and grime that comes with being ridden hard this time of year...without having to use soap.

I use the Sore No More gelotin a lot, too, and I DO find that it does stuff...however, I am oddly allergic to it, so I have to be VERY quick to wash my hands and try not to touch my face or brush my hair out of my eyes when I use it....oddly enough, it is both Vernon and Toby approved (both boys are very sensitive skinned). :lol::lol:

LSM1212
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think you'd have to rub them in to get any benefits.... and I don't think they are a major cure for anything but superficial soreness. Sort of like ben-gay or icy-hot. I do like washing my horse down with dilute vetrolin after a workout. I think it cuts through sweat and grime better than just water, it smells good and it makes their coat feel nice. That said, I don't go through a ton of it, so the cost is not a worry and I do it because I like it, not because I think it's so fabulous for the horse.

For legs I use ice..... or gel liniment or poultice.

Smells nice.
Tingles briefly.
Cuts sweat and lather.
Removes stains.

Both of these... I think I use 1-2 small jugs of Vetrolin a season. Total cost around $25. I just put a splash of it in my small bath bucket.

And like VCT/DW, I think it "cleans" my horse better than just plain water. It smells really good and it makes my horse's coat really soft and shiny. :lol: And gives me the warm fuzzies. :winkgrin:

EquiSport
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:59 PM
I’ve been VERY impressed with the results of Cavalor’s Cooling Wash. I’ve seen a foreign object pop out of a horse after one use. I’ve seen it reduce inflammation and soreness (used full strength) when other products (Sore No More Gelotion & Sports Salve) did nothing. It's not cheap, but IMO it's worth the money because it works.

I’ve never tried the Muscooler – it’s more expensive & I’m pleased with the Cooling Wash.

I’ve never heard of or experienced Vetroline doing anything more than what others have described.

afischer36
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:36 PM
I did a little test on myself recently about liniments. Lucky me carpel tunnel both arms...soooo....liniment vs no liniment thro down. winner for me liniment 100%. felt better and swelling went down quicker.

besum1
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've been successful with Sore No More but personally can't touch any of the other stuff. Vetrolin and other liniments that leave that "tingle" feeling burn my skin like crazy (even when diluted).

The arnica in sore no more is the best- I use to take it when i was young and got my braces tightened. Never had sore teeth when I took it after visiting the ortho! So that alone makes me a believer in sore no more. Now I don't think it's going to necessarily prevent soreness if you worked your horse really hard, just reduce the level of soreness- especially if your horse has to stand in a stall/small paddock after a work out.

ezmissg
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
Speaking of arnica -- a friend of mine once had a more concentrated version that was a roll-on, made for horses.

Does anyone know where I can find it, or something like it?

TIA!

seeuatx
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:59 PM

But it works, doesn't it. I know my li'l grey Lola has been super clean the last two months with some religious use of RefreshMint. She does seem to like it, in the same way I like a nice hot shower after getting all grimy.

I was wondering though... I have TermaFlex gel for her legs but do not use that and the bath in the same day. I'm afraid of over doing it and possibly blistering. Anyone use both the wash and the gel at the same time?

deltawave
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:02 PM
But it works, doesn't itI will have to let you know--new spotted horse isn't home yet and all I have ever had to worry about were a few little socks and itty bitty Appy freckles before now!

I am hoarding and collecting all the whitening tips I have gotten, however. :D

seeuatx
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:09 PM
Just be glad his tail isn't white, or maybe I should say dingy yellowish ecru... all the tricks haven't fixed that one yet ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming