PDA

View Full Version : Can we do an arena harrow thread?

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:46 AM
My sacrifice paddock doubles as a riding ring when the grass is too wet or slippery or it's muddy. We are BLESSED with nice, sandy soil so the arena is sandy and "fluffs" pretty well if I keep after it with my flexible harrow.

Trouble is, the fluffier I keep it, the more readily it all washes down to one corner with heavy rains! :lol: A long day with the box blade a couple of times a year reclaims most of that and redistributes it to where it belongs.

I'm wondering if there is something a little more effective out there--in the $1000 range, mind you . . . I *know* there are implements that will practically make you breakfast for a price--to keep the footing fluffy, level, AND allow me to clear out around the edges and the low corner sort of regularly and do it better than the box blade/chain harrow combination? We have a 26hp tractor with a 3-point hitch, so I was thinking of one of those big "wheel" ones that spin behind your tractor.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Valentina_32926
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:18 AM
This is what we have and I like it a lot.

http://www.rotoharrow.com/roto_harrow.htm

http://www.kingkutter.com/WholeGood.asp?item=RotaryHarrows

Come in 5, 6 & 7 foot widths (we have the 5 footer). Looking I see one (6 foot) used in very good condition for $1800 - more than your price range but also larger than you need (we use a 5 footer).

Found this page with used - In your pric e range
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1131&Manu=ARENA+WERKS

Some comments I found on it are:
I have the Spider Rotary Harrow - 6 ft model. It has 3 smaller wheels, rather than the one large one. It works fine for fluffing up the material in our round pen and arena and is easier to maneuver in tight quarters than the chain harrow.

It will not cut as deep as a disc harrow, and would not be as good for preparing a seed bed, unless what you are planting can be planted very shallow (1" to 2" maximum, depending on soil type).

and
I think these are mainly used for arena dressing. Don't think they'd hold up for primary tillage like the disc. More comparable to spike harrow for finish work.

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:46 PM
Anyone have an Arena Rascal?

http://www.abiequine.com/products/arena_drags/arena_rascal_pro.php

pinkpony321
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:18 PM
Deltawave- what is the approximate cost of one of those Rascals? Any clue? Couldn't find info on the website but I kind of like them!

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
The basic "non-horse" LGR model is about $1200 with free shipping. They are a bit coy about the price of the "horse" model (flat bar vs. ripping teeth) but from what I can gather from other threads the equestrian markup is another $800 or so. :lol:

pinkpony321
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:18 PM
Pssshhhhh, tell them you're a gardener. you'll probably get a deal.

retreadeventer
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:05 AM
Delta I think the base needs to be level, you can continue to scrape down and dig up but it will still drift to one end unless the base is level.
We too have sandy soil but I've got flat land.
Compacting the base then redistributing the top might help. More work than you want to do for a sometime paddock riding arena, probably, but that's more than likely the culprit.
If a family member is clever with the bucket of the tractor you can do this yourself but it will take a tank of diesel and an afternoon.

deltawave
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:23 PM
I actually don't think I want to eliminate the natural "crown" on my paddock, since it means virtually NO mud. A tedious day with the box blade a couple of times a year takes care of the wandering sand. :)

I sent an inquiry to the Arena Rascal people and they annoyed me no end by being coy and refusing to give an actual price to my husband when he answered the phone. I absolutely HATE that sort of thing and am not at all above refusing to deal with them because of it. :mad:

I'm thinking of getting the Spider type of rotary spin harrow from Country Mfg--less than $700 delivered.

LookmaNohands
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:32 PM
I have a sand arena and the weeds are getting bad. My very old, worn-down-to-almost-nothing chain harrow has worked well 'til the mowing guy hit it with the bush hog!:eek:

I need something new. Anyone use a piece of chain link fence for their sand ring?

karlymacrae
Aug. 8, 2011, 12:07 AM
I have a sand arena and the weeds are getting bad. My very old, worn-down-to-almost-nothing chain harrow has worked well 'til the mowing guy hit it with the bush hog!:eek:

I need something new. Anyone use a piece of chain link fence for their sand ring?

You can find diamond harrows online for under $100

candico
Aug. 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have the spider rotary and it is okay, not great. The sides of my arena get more compaction so the teeth on the outside wheel are now more than an inch shorter than the one in the middle. It makes the drag unlevel, but I wonder if I change the wheels around it might be better again. Also, although I have had it for three years, I only use it once every other month and it seems very worn for that little use. Lastly, I find the finish too deep and wavy for riding so then I need to go back over it with my dragster.
Long story short, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Kiser edge. Will be here soon, so will give a report...

deltawave
Aug. 8, 2011, 05:27 PM
I only use it once every other month

Maybe this is why your surface and edges are unlevel?

I harrow a couple of times a week, minimum, when I'm using my dirt paddock for actual riding.

candico
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
Sorry not to clarify, but I drag the rings daily with the dragster or at least every other day. I bring out the rotary harrow when I notice the compaction starting or to refluff after heavy rains. My round pen sides are solid so the sand does get compacted against the sides, but I do hand shovel it level before I bring in the spider harrow, but it is impossible to get that thing to travel in a non seriously haunches in position on a 60' circle. I do recommend the Gibb's dragster over the spider harrow. It only now needs teeth replaced after frequent use over five years, but it doesn't dig down into very compacted footing and if the surface is very uneven it can create waves. I think it is about $700 and you can just flip it to seal your arena surface before the rains...

clivers
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have one of these and it does numerous jobs quite well. It's very adjustable so you can just compact, just groom/condition, do both, move footing around etc:
http://www.systemfence.com/index.php/product_details/view_product/warehouse/00/part_num/TRC6
It was $1400 and the price is right on the website ;)