PDA

View Full Version : Sundowner Sunlite 2005 - good bet or lemon?

vali
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have a very nice tall 2 horse Hawk straight load trailer, bought when I had a taller horse. I've since switched to ponies and pony crosses, and we just acquired a third pony now that both daughters are riding. I'm thinking of getting a 3 horse slant load, and there's a 2005 3 horse Sundowner Sunlite for sale nearby. I remember that some people have issues with corrosion and structural defects with certain models of Sundowners, although I've also had several friends who've been happy with them. We are in CA, and the trailer has had one owner in CA and low mileage, so I don't know if the corrosion problem is a bigger one in states that salt the roads. I know to look under the trailer for peeling, rust, or corrosion, but if it looks good is it worth taking it to the trailer mechanic to get it checked out?

LisaB
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:07 PM
Do a search on here and you'll hear all the horror stories

AKB
Aug. 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have an 01 Sundowner 2 horse that I love. Sundowner did replace the floor a few years ago at no charge. Be sure you have the floor carefully inspected and the trailer meticulously gone over by a good trailer mechanic. You may find that some of the hardware (door hinges, hooks for the hay bags) needs replacing.

My Sundowner is so much nicer, safer, and easier to use than my previous 2 trailers. Horses don't slip on the ramp. The ramp is easy to lift. Horses who won't load in other trailers will get in mine because it is light and roomy. There are no sharp edges to cut a horse. The design is superb for my needs.

Go Fish
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:09 PM
Geez...I know several people who have Sundowner trailers and they've had no problems with them. I wasn't aware that they had issues.

Lady Counselor
Aug. 8, 2011, 02:59 PM
Search on here for informational threads. There's a lot of information you really should have before deciding.
Yes, they have had issues, with the steel framed ones, from about 1998 through the year they discontinued the steel frame (I think 2008) Same kind of issues Toyota was having with their frames, except Toyota took the high road, and SD did not.
Unless it's an all aluminum or completely redone (brand new floor and frame, not scraped and sprayed) I wouldn't do it, no matter how good a price.

Lucassb
Aug. 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
You couldn't pay me to take a Sundowner trailer at this point. Definitely do a search and pay attention to the experience people have had with this company and their "customer service."