PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shopping Addiction...

xrmn002
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:47 PM
Anyone else obsessively peruse the For Sale ads even though you need another horse like you need a hole in your head?!

I am a prime offender. I even keep a stash "just in case" but have been doing so for years so I doubt I'll take the plunge anytime soon.

Eventer90210
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
I browse through CANTER and Fingerlake's Finest websites alllllll the time. There are so many horses on there that I can just picture taking home, even though I can't afford a horse right now!

It sucks so much, but I keep going back. That's the masochist in me coming out, I guess..

:yes:

rizzodm
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'm guilty. Especially when the pony is being naughty, I come home and start surfing the web for a new mount.

MyssMyst
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:04 AM
Guilty!

sparky6
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
All. The. Time.

ElementFarm
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:35 AM
CONSTANTLY.

Ironically, I'm trying to sell one, and if I bought another, I'd find myself living in a cardboard box....

But it's FUN. Sometimes I try to find good deals (Canter cuties or some nice youngsters that I would like to have for myself). Sometimes I "shop" for horses like the one I'm about to market, to see what the going averages are, and what is the competition in my local area. Sometimes I look at the ones that should be in the Fugly Blog just for entertainment purposes (really, your friesianXshireXstandarbredXarabian is for sale for 5,000, but you can't pull it out of the field, groom it a bit, or at least knock the mud off? and perhaps a halter that fits and some farrier attention are in order...) I also like to look at the big-ticket horses -- the ones with far more zeros than I'll ever have to spend. Just fun to see what 200K would get me :)

carolprudm
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:22 AM
How do you think I got Sophie?

2tempe
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:39 AM
Not quite addicted, but when nothing better to do:

Friend is looking for a schoolmaster - or a project horse - I surf ads and say "what would I buy if I were her" and sometimes I pass along ads

If I could spend that $200,000....what would I buy

If I were going to the PSI Auction in Germany, what would I buy - or the Horses Unlimited upcoming auction

Current "shopping" - it would be fun to have a German Riding Pony; what would I buy??

I consider it like window shopping at the mall; don't need or want another right now.

carolprudm
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sigh, and then there is the question of breeding. I would love to breed my Erin Go Bragh mare to KEC Double Diamond....or Seatle Blues...or Regaila Prince Arthur....should I take a chance on Beeza with Touch of the Blues....or try one last time (I said that last year) to breed Smart Lil aka Miss Money Pit??????
How about Bonnie to SonRise Genisis????? Maybe haul Miss Money Pit up to Salute the Truth and see if LC would work better than AI

It's a real good thing that there are relatively few RID stallions and that I have only a few mares.

CoppersRider
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:50 AM
Guilty, Guilty, Guilty. Can't afford another horse, but just can't stop torturing myself either. Then, when the one I've had my eye on for months sells, I'm so mad at myself for not buying it. Why exactly do we do this to ourselves?

4wdNstraight
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
This is my one guilty pleasure! I just had a baby in Jan, and even if I could afford another, I have zero time for another as I already have 2 going. So, I tell myself that I am looking for others.....

luvmydutch
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
I am addicted to shopping for a stallion for my mare even though i would be living in a cardboard box if I had a second horse haha. Every week I have a new stallion who is for sure going to be her baby daddy. Last week was Bretton Woods, the week before was Don Schufro, this week I'm in love with Saphiro Johnson and am convinced a palomino Dutch WB/Lusitano mix would be just lovely. It's torture really :)

quietann
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:27 AM
When it looked like my mare might need to be retired, I was a regular on the various Morgan sales sites. (yes, I'm breed-biased, and would not ever be looking for an UL horse.) As she's become more sound, I'm doing less, but still keep my eyes open and every once in a while go "oh I wish!"

4wdNstraight
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
HA HA Luvmy dutch I also do this. This week its Londonderry for my girl. I decided not to breed this year because the thought of a mare and foal with my own crying baby was too much! There is always next year!

suzy
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:39 AM
The vision of the cardboard box keeps me just looking rather than actually shopping.

WBLover
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:49 AM
The vision of a divorce keeps me from actually buying.....

But yes, I do it all the time! I just like to compare my horse to others and see what price ranges they are in. I really don't want/need another horse but it's so fun to look!

FocusCalmPatience
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
I absolutely do this. I look at fillies, I look for stallions I'm going to breed the fillies to once they grow up. I look for trail horses, fox hunting horses, husband horses. The cardboard box/threat of divorce are both good deterrents from actually purchasing a second horse, but, you know, I could always inherit a million $, and just in case, I need to know EXACTLY what direction my new horsey life is going to go, right? Well, now at least we all understand why the hit counts on advertised horses can be so high without them ever actually SELLING. lol.

pony grandma
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:19 AM
:lol::lol: It was fun when my DDs were growing up and needed those new move-up learning experiences!! It is addicting to want to discover the next new horse's personality and quirks as in 'who?' is the next one going to be? because that was the learning, for me and the girls - reading the new horse. And the shopping was some very fun road trips, esp a day trip to Lexington. We even got to drive into Gainesway to look at a horse that the pony trainer (for the kids who lived on the farm) had for sale. The pony barn was right next to Gainesway's horse cemetery. What a walk into equine history that was!

Now I'm broke from raising two homebreds so no more lookin'. :no:

archaichoney
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:27 AM
Every. Effing. Day.

What sucks though, is I am currently saving up for my first horse and it wont be until another year and a half till I can afford one. So looking at horse adds is pure torture - especially when you find a very pretty pony -_-

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
I look at ads all the time, mostly to learn about bloodlines. It's especially helpful when there are videos. Sometimes it helps me add a stallion to the short list for next year, or rule one out.

KBC
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:31 AM
"My name is Haffy and I'm a Adaholic"

I am trying to cut down on horses, so why am I still scouring the sale ads?

EventingMare
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
Love, love, love looking at horse ads. I also love the days that I get emails with new horses added to websites such as Dressage Market. I then just sit there at my desk at work and lose track of time looking at all the nice horses I wish that I could afford. At least its a nice break from work, so I highly recommend getting these emails too! :)

meupatdoes
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
I stopped when I saw an absolutely gorgeous half brother to my horse who was 5yo and $2,500.

It had the look of eagles and everything.

It was so torturous to have to walk away from that one knowing he was out there that I will never look again unless I am actually ready to hitch up the trailer cash-in-hand.

*lalalalalalallalalaidon'twannaknow*

scubed
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:44 AM
Totally, and buy way too many, but I also try to "shop for friends" I am sure that everyone I know that has ever told me they were looking for a horses wishes that they had not as I obsessively fill their inboxes with possibilities. 2 friends have recently bought horses that were on lists I sent them, so that is pretty cool

NRB
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
not an addiction, just a current state of mind for me as I am seriously shopping. Been looking since December, sat on only 10 so far. I'm being picky... obviously...

Wayside
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:30 PM
I do it too.

Right now I actually have more stalls than horses for the first time in years. It's driving me nuts, but I do NOT need another horse! :lol:

mickeydoodle
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:46 PM
yep, I am addicted, despite the fact that I have my current show horse (PSG/I1) and TWO retirees in the field that I pay for ($600+per month)

CZF
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
Oh I'm so guilty of this. I just love it! I call it harmless window shopping. My dad on the other hand has a problem, because he actually buys them and I'm the one telling him to stop!!! lol

I'm with hansiska, I like to see the stallion offspring and check out selling prices as much as anything.

Oh and archaichoney, that's what I said too, but then I stumbled across one that I had to have and ended up buying something before I was even seriously shopping. lol. Consider yourself warned! :)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:23 PM
I do it. See, my plan is to buy myself my next competitive dressage horse when I finish school, as a gift to myself. I want something coming up as Frodo is at the top of his game. I shop all of the time, looking at bloodlines, breeders and people known for importing. I call it research. :winkgrin:

xrmn002
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:36 PM
lol I shop for friends, too (even those who aren't in the market)!

Lately I find myself calling and considering (guess it was only a matter of time). Have a little money set aside for my schoolmaster and am truly considering selling one (my husbands request) to purchase another...

I should have given up this online obsession a LONG time ago! : )

honeylips
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm totally addicted to my Westfalen riding ponies (2 of them) and seriously addicted to the idea of buying more of them. 2 major pony sales in Germany in the next 2 weeks is NOT helping!!!!

xrmn002
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:44 PM
My trainer is in Germany for a month (he is from there and has relationships with many top farms). That and the auctions are NOT helping at all!!! I emailed him to "keep an eye out" for the perfect horse and have prepped the DH that someday it is probably inevitable that the perfect one will show up.

Now I need another horse like I need a hole in my head but I just can't seem to help it...

PaintedMare
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:07 PM
Guilty. I even take it a step further. I look for ads either in Aiken or even Lexington, KY for grooms or barn help or anything. And dream...

I'm in school. I can't afford a horse. I can't move right now. But I look.

paint hunter
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:47 PM
"Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu...."

xrmn002
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:36 PM
Oh man... Lots of enablers on this thread! lol

Just emailed on two of the horses I've been drooling over. One just responded that they would be willing to accept my (much lower than asked) offer if was the right home. Hmm...